College Football is back!

Having said that LSU losing the SEC championship game would probably mean an undeserving SEC team would get the #4 spot , which would be particularly agregious as the Big 10 is obviously the superior conference this year.

Indiana and Illinois sure surprised me this year. They actually were pretty decent teams.

They will be if the win the rest of their games and the PAC 12 Championship game. That’s why I’m pulling for LSWho to win out. Assuming OSU and Clemson win out then the playoff will be:

OSU #1, LSU #2, Clemson #3 and a 1 loss Pac12 champ (Oregon or Utah) #4.

That makes sense. Except I would flip OSU and LSU. LSU #1, OSU #2, Clemson #3 and the 1 loss pack 12 team #4.

Having said that LSU losing the SEC championship game would probably mean an undeserving SEC team would get the #4 spot , which would be particularly agregious as the Big 10 is obviously the superior conference this year.

The Big10 champion will obviously get in. But if Georgia beats LSU (which I doubt), they deserve to be in the playoffs.

The Big10 looks great this year. But not good enough to get two teams in the CFP.

Disagree. Too many other teams with a one loss record that will have actually won their conference championship. One team from either the Pac12 or Big12 will get screwed out of it regardless. Two teams from SEC would mean both teams from the Pac12 and Big 12 get screwed.

Last edited:
That makes sense. Except I would flip OSU and LSU. LSU #1, OSU #2, Clemson #3 and the 1 loss pack 12 team #4.
If it's Oregon, they deserve it assuming they win out, period. Oklahoma would get it over Utah. Between Baylor and Utah? Toss a coin. :dunno: Although I would enjoy seeing the dark horse Utah in the mix. There will not be two SEC teams this yr.

No way....LSU hasn't performed as remotely well in defense as the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes have not only played a stronger schedule they have also scored more points offensively, have given up fewer points defensively, have a higher margin of takeaways to giveaways and that's as it is right now. It only goes up for OSU if they win their next three games which are decidedly tougher than LSU's. Not to mention that now OSU's win over Cincinnati is a higher quality win than LSU's win over Texas. If OSU wins out they take #1.

Disagree. Too many other teams with a one loss record that will have actually won their conference championship. One team from either the Pac12 or Big12 will get screwed out of it regardless. Two teams from SEC would mean both teams from the Pac12 and Big 12 get screwed.

Sorry....losing a conference championship game is an automatic disqualifier in my book. Otherwise what the hell is the point of even having a conference championship game. I believe that the conference championship game means something and if you lose your conference championship game you haven't "EARNED" the right to play in the CFP and you've already proven you're not a champion. I'm all about objectivity. Screw committees and eye test. They are bogus and biased. Earn it or go home and cry. It's supposed to be a national championship not a regional championship by proxy that maximizes revenue for ESECPN network.

No way....LSU hasn't performed as remotely well in defense as the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes have not only played a stronger schedule they have also scored more points offensively, have given up fewer points defensively, have a higher margin of takeaways to giveaways and that's as it is right now. It only goes up for OSU if they win their next three games which are decidedly tougher than LSU's. Not to mention that now OSU's win over Cincinnati is a higher quality win than LSU's win over Texas. If OSU wins out they take #1.
Geez, don't hyperventilate. That's what the playoffs are for so there's no ifs ands or buts. And LSU isn't in there yet. Georgia is capable of beating them (although that was a pretty boring offense I saw against Auburn).
Sorry....losing a conference championship game is an automatic disqualifier in my book. Otherwise what the hell is the point of even having a conference championship game. I believe that the conference championship game means something and if you lose your conference championship game you haven't "EARNED" the right to play in the CFP and you've already proven you're not a champion. I'm all about objectivity. Screw committees and eye test. They are bogus and biased. Earn it or go home and cry. It's supposed to be a national championship not a regional championship by proxy that maximizes revenue for ESECPN network.
Sorry about what? I completely agree with you. But the committee will have to make a decision between the pac12 conference winner and the Big12 winner assuming Clemson wins out. And if Oregon wins out that is really no decision.

Last edited:

In defense? If that is the qualification then the entire Big12 shouldn't be allowed in the CFP.

LSU has beaten 4 ranked teams. If you throw out Texas, they still beat 3 teams ranked in the top 10. Ohio State has only beaten 2 ranked teams, and none were in the top 10. If they beat Penn State, they look better. But still not ahead of LSU.

Who has OSU played to compare with LSU beating Alabama!Rutgers?

LSU has beat 4 ranked teams!To OSU 2.

In defense? If that is the qualification then the entire Big12 shouldn't be allowed in the CFP.

LSU has beaten 4 ranked teams. If you throw out Texas, they still beat 3 teams ranked in the top 10. Ohio State has only beaten 2 ranked teams, and none were in the top 10. If they beat Penn State, they look better. But still not ahead of LSU.

I don't know what computer Mott is looking at but the only one I ever see results from are Jeff Sagarin's and theOSU SoS is #51, LSU's is #13. Auburn's is #1 in college football and will be at the end of the season. Them having 3 loses at this point isn't bad. If they only had a QB.

Last edited:
I don't know what computer Mott is looking at but the only one I ever see results from are Jeff Sagarin's and theOSU SoS is #51, LSU's is #13. Auburn's is #1 in college football and will be at the end of the season. Them having 3 loses at this point isn't bad. If they only had a QB.

Really they need a QB bad!

Yeah, Auburn would definitely be a top dog if they had any semblance of a QB at all... They have played against the best of the best this season in LSU, Georgia, Florida, and Oregon. They came back in the 4th to beat Oregon, almost came back in the 4th against Georgia, barely lost an LSU game was very close throughout, and stuck with Florida for most of the game.

LSU has beat Florida, beat Auburn (barely), and beat Alabama (soundly, until they got lax on defense in the 2nd half).

OSU has beat...... ummmmm... hmmmmmm... Cincinnati and Wisconsin... Hardly the quality of teams that LSU has beat. However, they beat those two teams quite handily, and the Big 10 as a whole is MUCH tougher than the SEC as a whole (the SEC East is complete trash outside of Georgia and Florida).

Auburn has faced four top 10 teams, and will end up facing five top 10 teams. Clearly the toughest schedule in all of college football.

LSU has faced two top 10 teams and a top 20 team, and that will remain the same. Those are three very high quality teams though.

OSU has faced zero top 10 teams and two top 20 teams, and will face one top 10-ish team and a third top 20 team (that is overrated in my opinion).

So, if looking at it as "top 20 teams", OSU will technically finish with four top 20 teams as opposed to LSU's three top 20 teams, but of those teams, the teams that LSU has faced are of higher quality than the teams that OSU has and will face, so it depends on how one wants to look at it and argue it.

I'd personally argue to put LSU at #1 and OSU at #2... Both of them should clearly be ranked higher than Clemson, at #3, and then it's whoever ends up sneaking in at #4 (I'd argue for Oregon, if they win out, because they had the balls to schedule Auburn as a non-conference game and even had them beat for most of the game).

Geez, don't hyperventilate. That's what the playoffs are for so there's no ifs ands or buts. And LSU isn't in there yet. Georgia is capable of beating them (although that was a pretty boring offense I saw against Auburn).Sorry about what? I completely agree with you. But the committee will have to make a decision between the pac12 conference winner and the Big12 winner assuming Clemson wins out. And if Oregon wins out that is really no decision.
I pretty much agree except that we both know our assumptions can be wrong and that it's very likely that there may be only one or two undefeated teams by the end of the Conference Championship games.

Let's face reality dude. If OSU beats PSU and Mich and wins the Big10 Championship game they will be number one based on SOS and leading the nation in offense and in defense.

Personally I think OSU is going to win out. Maybe Clemson can beat them as they are the only team out there that's close to as balanced on both sides of the ball as OSU. Like last year...this isn't the SEC's year.

My Playoff Prediction:

#1. OSU
#2. LSU
#3. Clemson
#4. Pac 12 Champ

Semifinals: OSU and Clemson

Finals: OSU

Who has OSU played to compare with LSU beating Alabama!Rutgers?
Cincinnati. Hell the AAC east is as strong as the SEC East. LOL
You might just be over rating Alabama. You're also forgetting that LSU has played quite a few more weaker teams than OSU has. Including Div II teams.

Let me ask you this, why do almost all the computer rankings have OSU listed as #1?

You might just be over rating Alabama. You're also forgetting that LSU has played quite a few more weaker teams than OSU has. Including Div II teams.

Let me ask you this, why do almost all the computer rankings have OSU listed as #1?

Computers?You really said computers!lol

I really don't understand why you let your hatred of the SEC overwhelm you at this point in the season. OSU and LSU may not even make it into the CFP's. The fact that we have conference playoffs, then the CFP's makes computer rankings irrelevant except to the fifth wheel. And no matter what the teams are seeded the loser of a semi final or final will not feel any better after the loss. I promise you this - two SEC teams will not make it in this year nor will two teams from any conference make it in . I hope that makes you feel better.

Back