#1 - Ohio State
#2 - Alabama
#3 - LSU
#4 - Oklahoma
#5 - Toss up between GA and Wisconsin
#7 - Clemson - Not sure they need to be this high
#8 - Penn State
#9 - Florida

I don't use the polls when making evaluations. They are virtually worthless as an objective measure. That's why I've always opposed those who say they want to see the best teams in the playoff as they can't ever provide any objective measures for determining that. I want to see the National Championship earned and decided on the field. That's why I believe we should have a National Playoff based on automatic bids for conference champions because you've already proven you're not the best team, on the field, if you don't win your conference.

The problem with automatic bids for conference champions is that you will not necessarily see the best team.

One of the things I love about college football is that on any given Saturday any team can win. App State beat Michigan some years back. Ohio State got drubbed by Purdue, ect ect.

And the conference championship game ignore the rest of the season except for games against teams in your division of your conference.

A perfect example was the SEC Championship game in 2016. Alabama was 11-0 going into the SEC Championship. Florida was 8-3 going in. Alabama had played 6 teams that were ranked at the time of their game. Florida had only play 3 ranked teams and lost to 2 of them. But if Florida won that one game, they were given an automatic bid? Alabama opened the 2016 playing USC. Who is going to schedule a power team as an opener when it is completely irrelevant as far as getting in the playoff?

If a team beats every team in their division of their conference, but loses every non-conference game and wins their conference championship game, they get an automatic bid for a shot at the NC?

Here is a chaos question.

Suppose Alabama, Ohio State and Oklahoma finish their regular seasons undefeated. And both Georgia and Wisconsin have a single loss each (their conference championship game). Does Clemson make the playoffs after no losing to the longest string of cupcakes in the league?

So far, Clemson's marque game was against Texas A&M. But A&M is 3-2 and will probably lose 3 more games (Alabama, Georgia and LSU). Is beating a 7-5 SEC team enough of a boost to get them in? Hell, UCF had a schedule that was as tough a couple of years ago and no one thought they should be in.

But the defending National Champions going undefeated and NOT making the playoffs sounds like a PR nightmare.

Hey Alabama, you should be pretty happy, now that California has opened the door on paying college athletes you favorite school should be lining up overt pro teams down the road

Wonder what new major Alabama could come up with now to meet the goal

The problem with automatic bids for conference champions is that you will not necessarily see the best team.

One of the things I love about college football is that on any given Saturday any team can win. App State beat Michigan some years back. Ohio State got drubbed by Purdue, ect ect.

And the conference championship game ignore the rest of the season except for games against teams in your division of your conference.

A perfect example was the SEC Championship game in 2016. Alabama was 11-0 going into the SEC Championship. Florida was 8-3 going in. Alabama had played 6 teams that were ranked at the time of their game. Florida had only play 3 ranked teams and lost to 2 of them. But if Florida won that one game, they were given an automatic bid? Alabama opened the 2016 playing USC. Who is going to schedule a power team as an opener when it is completely irrelevant as far as getting in the playoff?

The problem with "Best" team is you can't provide a objective measure of what is a "best" team. Using a playoff format, nationally, if you don't win your conference, on the field, you have proven by the best objective measure, that you are not the best team. Certainly not in your conference.

So I'm far more in favor or using the objective measure of deciding on the field and having to earn your place in the playoff. I can see having a playoff format where one or two teams who did not win their conference, can, based on specific performance criteria, be selected for the playoff as a wild card.

What selecting the "Best" teams has done is making the National Championship, corrupt, regional,subjective and grossly biased. There is absolutely no way a UCF or Boise State can get a well earned opportunity at a national championship. Instead they get to lose by proxy, instead of having it determined on the field as it should be and as it is done by virtually every sports league in the world.

I thought they looked good against Auburn!

I thought they both looked rather shitty to be honest...

Auburn's QB was a complete moron, making moron decisions most of the game, Auburn kept trying to run up the middle even though it wasn't working, and Florida lost FIVE fumbles...

Florida won, yes, but it wasn't pretty...

Hey Alabama, you should be pretty happy, now that California has opened the door on paying college athletes you favorite school should be lining up overt pro teams down the road

Wonder what new major Alabama could come up with now to meet the goal

You were bullied by athletes, weren't you?

Fake list!How about the real list!

The real list is no better than Winterborn's at this point in the season. Personally I prefer no list until after the conference championships have been played because whatever list is out now will change. It will change next week actually , making this week's list useless.
Clemson is #2 and they would probably be the underdog to at least 3 teams ranked below them at this point.

Wisconsin kicked the complete snot out of Michigan State (even though they held Taylor to 80 yards) ... That Wisconsin vs Ohio State game is gonna be good.

Georgia got knocked down a peg...

1. Joe Burrow, LSU

Of all the gaudy numbers posted by the Heisman contenders vs. lackluster defenses, Burrow's Saturday stands alone as a truly epic performance against a team that simply doesn't allow those types of games. Burrow was an astonishing 21-of-24 passing, finished with 336 total yards and three touchdowns. Until someone else tops that against a real contender, he's your Heisman front-runner.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...eeded-college-football-playoff-top-contenders

I thought Florida played a great game.
LSU simply won it in the 4th qrt.
Joe Burrow 21for 24 against a very good Florida secondary. That's unreal.

Last edited:
Wisconsin kicked the complete snot out of Michigan State (even though they held Taylor to 80 yards) ... That Wisconsin vs Ohio State game is gonna be good.

Georgia got knocked down a peg...

Going into that game, South Carolina had played 4 FBS teams, and lost to 3 of them. Georgia is going to get slapped down hard. Clemson got knocked down because of a gqame they won. Georgia should get slapped down to the edges of the top 10, if not farther.

The sad fact is, there is no rational reason for the loss. Georgia has the talent and athleticism to play with anybody. But they haven't been able to capitalize on it. Can Kirby Smart finish? Only time will tell.

Back