"Conservatve" Democrats?

certainly not a seismic shift. Large voting blocs did not switch parties like the republicans will need them to do going forward.

Is that math you tell yourself as a Democrat to feel better?

The '94 midterm election resulted in a Republican gain of 54 seats in the House of Representatives, and 8 Senate seats, didn't it?

Is that math you tell yourself as a Democrat to feel better?

The '94 midterm election resulted in a Republican gain of 54 seats in the House of Representatives, and 8 Senate seats, didn't it?

it certainly did. but it was not "seismic" in any sense of the word in terms of there being a permanent shift in voting patterns of any large demographic groups.

was there, and I just missed it? If so, please show me the data that would support such a statement.

Didn't the GOP hang onto majorities in Congress until 2001, when the defection of Jim Jeffords gave the Democrats a 1-seat advantage?

It seems to me the GOP got the Senate majority back shortly thereafter until the '06 midterms.

Maybe the GOP just cheated their way to those Congressional and state legislative majorities, and governorships without lots of voters behind them.

I'll ask Desh.

no one said they didn't get a lot of votes. My point was that there was not a seismic shift from one party to the other by any demographic groups, like, as previously discussed, white southerners rapidly shifting from democrat to republican in the wake of the CRA.

Do you have evidence of such a shift in any demographic group? Please provide it... I would love to read about it.

no one said they didn't get a lot of votes. My point was that there was not a seismic shift from one party to the other by any demographic groups, like, as previously discussed, white southerners rapidly shifting from democrat to republican in the wake of the CRA. Do you have evidence of such a shift in any demographic group? Please provide it... I would love to read about it.

Analyses by major demographics (sex, race, age and education) reveal that the largest basic demographic group is comprised of high school educated, white females aged 35-54.

The "average American" can be thought of as a mother with an annual family income of $30,000- $50,000, who owns her own home .

http://www.people-press.org/1994/10/28/democrats-recover-but-gops-turnout-edge-looms-large/

http://www.people-press.org/1995/03/09/who-turned-out-in-1990-and-1994/

Back