Dems looking for Really Big Show in Denver

Socrtease

Verified User
Obama may accept nomination at NFL stadium

(CNN) — Call it location, location, location.

Barack Obama's campaign is thinking of having the Democratic presidential candidate give his presidential nomination acceptance speech at a football stadium rather than in the arena in Denver, Colorado, where the Democratic National Convention is being held.

CNN has confirmed that discussions are underway between the campaign and Denver's convention organizing committee to move the senator from Illinois' acceptance speech from the Pepsi Center, a basketball and hockey arena which seats around 20,000 people, to Invesco Field at Mile High. The football stadium where the Denver Broncos play can seat around 75,000 people.

A bigger crowd could make for a more compelling picture and image.

One problem could be the weather. The stadium is open aired, and susceptible to afternoon and evening summer thunderstorms, while the arena is closed to the elements.

The story was first reported in the Los Angeles Times and by the Associated Press.

Obama campaign spokeswoman Shannon Gilson told the AP that no decisions have been made.

The Democrats' presidential nominating convention is scheduled to open on Monday August 25 and close with Obama's acceptance speech on Thursday, August 28.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/04/obama-may-accept-nomination-at-nfl-stadium/

This is genius. If they can pull it off there will be 75,000 screaming Obamiacs. The republicans will not be able to match that scene and anyway I don't think McCain could draw 75,000 people and EVEN if he could that many people snoring in unison would be frightening.

Obama better give one of those super memerable speeches so history will look back on it.

This is genius. If they can pull it off there will be 75,000 screaming Obamiacs. The republicans will not be able to match that scene and anyway I don't think McCain could draw 75,000 people and EVEN if he could that many people snoring in unison would be frightening.

They go outside and I guarantee a nice big thunderstorm will be there to greet them right after Obama comes on stage. Talk about raining on their parade and knocking down a false idol all in one little gesture.... way too sweet an opportunity for me to pass up.

:cool:

They go outside and I guarantee a nice big thunderstorm will be there to greet them right after Obama comes on stage. Talk about raining on their parade and knocking down a false idol all in one little gesture.... way too sweet an opportunity for me to pass up.

:cool:
If you were really god you would know that rain is a gift and would be a good omen for the campaign. Water for growth.

Obama picks 75,000-seat stadium for convention speech

It is a done deal folks. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Barack Obama will give his main speech of the Democratic National Convention at a 75,000-seat stadium rather than the 20,000-seat hall where the convention is taking place, convention organizers announced Monday.

Obama will accept the Democratic nomination for president at Denver's INVESCO Field at Mile High on August 28.

The move looks likely to put him in front of a much larger audience than normal for a political speech, even for a presidential nominee.

Convention organizers portrayed the move as a reflection of Obama's success at encouraging people to vote for the first time.

"Barack Obama's campaign for change has inspired millions of Americans and brought people into the political process who might never have been involved," said Convention Co-Chair Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius. "This change in the Convention program will allow thousands of first-time participants a chance to take part."

Obama's largest event to date was in Portland, Oregon, in May, where he drew a crowd of approximately 75,000. He has done at least one previous stadium event, a joint appearance with talk show host Oprah Winfrey at Williams-Brice Stadium in South Carolina that drew about 29,000 people.

It is a done deal folks. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Barack Obama will give his main speech of the Democratic National Convention at a 75,000-seat stadium rather than the 20,000-seat hall where the convention is taking place, convention organizers announced Monday.

Obama will accept the Democratic nomination for president at Denver's INVESCO Field at Mile High on August 28.

The move looks likely to put him in front of a much larger audience than normal for a political speech, even for a presidential nominee.

Convention organizers portrayed the move as a reflection of Obama's success at encouraging people to vote for the first time.

"Barack Obama's campaign for change has inspired millions of Americans and brought people into the political process who might never have been involved," said Convention Co-Chair Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius. "This change in the Convention program will allow thousands of first-time participants a chance to take part."

Obama's largest event to date was in Portland, Oregon, in May, where he drew a crowd of approximately 75,000. He has done at least one previous stadium event, a joint appearance with talk show host Oprah Winfrey at Williams-Brice Stadium in South Carolina that drew about 29,000 people.

I view this as a direct challenge. Buckle down Denver. The wrath shall be unleashed. Provided I can convince Mother Nature to do my bidding. Though that usually involves my taking out the trash and doing some dishes, which I really hate, but one must sacrifice from time to time.

If you were really god you would know that rain is a gift and would be a good omen for the campaign. Water for growth.

Side note lawyer boy.... getting soaked can also make you appear as a drowned rat.

That rotten hell hole where the lil ponies play will be like a New York sewer system overflowing with rats.

Someone should lock them in and make them ride out the storm in that shit hole. :)

GO CHIEFS!!!

'Twill rain.

Does it usually rain in the eveinings in Denver in late August.

Around here it rains every evening during the summer. It has for the past 5 - 7 days... and the clouds are starting to form as I type.

Does it usually rain in the eveinings in Denver in late August.

Around here it rains every evening during the summer. It has for the past 5 - 7 days... and the clouds are starting to form as I type.
Not really, but when it does it is COLD and miserable. They'd do better to find an indoor venue rather than attempt to make this change at the last minute.

All it takes is one or two feeds to go bad and it looks as if the Ds can't even run a Convention, let alone the nation, to the sheep who don't pay attention. Especially when they have yet to approve many of the contracts they should have approved in March. They are truly running this like crap. Obama's campaign is trying to work miracles to bring this train back on track, they shouldn't be trying to switch track at the same time.

Not really, but when it does it is COLD and miserable. They'd do better to find an indoor venue rather than attempt to make this change at the last minute.

All it takes is one or two feeds to go bad and it looks as if the Ds can't even run a Convention, let alone the nation, to the sheep who don't pay attention. Especially when they have yet to approve many of the contracts they should have approved in March. They are truly running this like crap. Obama's campaign is trying to work miracles to bring this train back on track, they shouldn't be trying to switch track at the same time.

Id plan for two locations for the speech, Like I did with my wedding. The perfered location and a back up in case of rain.

Id plan for two locations for the speech, Like I did with my wedding. The perfered location and a back up in case of rain.
It'd probably work, if the expense wasn't too high. They are down by more than 11 Million still. Seriously, go with what was in the works, it is far safer than what they are now trying to do.

That works if you have two venues that are of similar size. But what do you do with the extra 50k people? Oops.... sorry about that, you shall have to sit in your car. No room for you in the Pepsi Center.

I am glad to see they have finalized this. I do hope for a nice two hour long thunderstorm at the appropriate time.

Send them all running from Mile High to the Pepsi Center. Then the headlines the next day....

'Dems afraid of nature'

:)

It'd probably work, if the expense wasn't too high. They are down by more than 11 Million still. Seriously, go with what was in the works, it is far safer than what they are now trying to do.

can you imagine the cluster fuk that would create if they tried to shift?

Yet one more reason to be avoiding downtown during the Dem invasion.

Back