Different Standards for Black and White Preachers

He'd rather be disingenuous. Again, one can find all those posts by WRL with the results that I speak about. I am not "lying" I am simply pointing out that there is certainly the reality that polls with McCain have shown that the Rs have a shot at this. Even if it were two rich white guys running against each other.

I posted a link to the historical polls. But Lorax cannot see them as he has me on IA.

I view the Obama campaign largely as a test of how rascist America still is.

So if we don't elect him it must be because we are racist?

He is obviously a gifted speaker, someone capable of uniting this country, I think he has the intelligence to be a good leader, but I disagree with many of his policies.... so am I a racist for not voting for him?

Was Mitt a sitting Senator and running for the highest position in the land? As it is he was rejected, largely for membership in that particular church. Interesting...

Damo, is this one of your infamous crawfish back walks, or backpeddles as it were?

I could have sworn your assertion in previous days, was that a decent person would have walked out of a church if there was a whiff of racism or anti-americanism? That, you yourself would have walked out of trinity church.

When did "walking out" become an issue of, only if one is running for president? Willard was knowingly attending a church as an adult man, that considered blacks to be sub human, and didn't allow them in their congregation. By all accounts, Trinity church has always enthusiastically welcomed white worshippers. Don't you think the Mormon church Mitt attended was orders of magnitude worse than Trinity, and that Mitt should have walked out?

That is annoying.

My post or that he has me on IA? :)

The post was at 8:07 if you re-post it, it has all the data from past polls that show McCain in the lead or a tie throughout late December and January. After the FEb 5th primaries, when it became apparent that Obama really could knock off Hillary, Obama surged.... until the Clowntoon express attempts to crush him.

Originally Posted by uscitizen

I view the Obama campaign largely as a test of how rascist America still is.

It is. We're failing.

It's sad to admit it, but this is one reason I never jumped on the bandwagon that Obama was automatically the most electable general election candidate.

African-americans live under a cloud of suspicion in this country, and Obama not only has to be as good as a white candidate. He has to be orders of magnitude better. Because its VERY easy to plant the seeds of doubt in the minds of mainstream american voters about Obama's character, integrity, and "patriotism".

The rightwing knows it. Wingnut message board posters know it. That's exactly why they have engaged for months about Obama being a radical muslim, a racist black christian, and about his wife's comments from last month being "unpatriotic".

It's easy to plant seeds of doubt about a black candidate. A white candidate - particulary a "conservative" one, will never have their loyalty and patriotism questioned in any meaningful way. Mainstream america will just largely assume that its not an issue for them.

Damo, is this one of your infamous crawfish back walks, or backpeddles as it were?

I could have sworn your assertion in previous days, was that a decent person would have walked out of a church if there was a whiff of racism or anti-americanism? That, you yourself would have walked out of trinity church.

When did "walking out" become an issue of, only if one is running for president? Willard was knowingly attending a church as an adult man, that considered blacks to be sub human, and didn't allow them in their congregation. By all accounts, Trinity church has always enthusiastically welcomed white worshippers. Don't you think the Mormon church Mitt attended was orders of magnitude worse than Trinity, and that Mitt should have walked out?
Read the rest of the thread, we got to that point later. The reality is his church does not speak against black people currently and in fact invites them in. It is also interesting to note that one of the objections that Illinois had to their presence is the fact they allowed blacks to sit among the congregation of their first church.

I even stated that yes, if the church taught racism from the pulpit, then I would leave and would not vote for another that would refuse to leave. 30 years ago he wasn't asking me to let him lead me, that matters to me.

My post or that he has me on IA? :)

The post was at 8:07 if you re-post it, it has all the data from past polls that show McCain in the lead or a tie throughout late December and January. After the FEb 5th primaries, when it became apparent that Obama really could knock off Hillary, Obama surged.... until the Clowntoon express attempts to crush him.
I figure he can look at it if he is interested. There is a link that says "read post" in each of those posts.

It's sad to admit it, but this is one reason I never jumped on the bandwagon that Obama was automatically the most electable general election candidate.

African-americans live under a cloud of suspicion in this country, and Obama not only has to be as good as a white candidate. He has to be orders of magnitude better. Because its VERY easy to plant the seeds of doubt in the minds of mainstream american voters about Obama's character, integrity, and "patriotism".

The rightwing knows it. Wingnut message board posters know it. That's exactly why they have engaged for months about Obama being a radical muslim, a racist black christian, and about his wife's comments from last month being "unpatriotic".

It's easy to plant seeds of doubt about a black candidate. A white candidate - particulary a "conservative" one, will never have their loyalty and patriotism questioned in any meaningful way. Mainstream america will just largely assume that its not an issue for them.

Well, I hate to say it, but I do think now that the events of the past week could prove fatal for him. I am just floored by the magnitude of the reaction. He could still pull it out, but it would require a near perfect campaign, and some sort of major blunder by McCain.

I still see it as a step forward. In the post-election analysis, people will naturally - once the politics of everything has calmed down - be able to see the events of the past week & his whole candidacy in a light that I think will force many to re-examine the state of race & racism in America, and give a more honest assessment of what it meant for his electoral chances. There will be some difficult realizations that we will go through as a country; not complete, but a step forward, imo.

Well, I hate to say it, but I do think now that the events of the past week could prove fatal for him. I am just floored by the magnitude of the reaction. He could still pull it out, but it would require a near perfect campaign, and some sort of major blunder by McCain.

I still see it as a step forward. In the post-election analysis, people will naturally - once the politics of everything has calmed down - be able to see the events of the past week & his whole candidacy in a light that I think will force many to re-examine the state of race & racism in America, and give a more honest assessment of what it meant for his electoral chances. There will be some difficult realizations that we will go through as a country; not complete, but a step forward, imo.
I agree.

What games are you going to watch?

Unfortunately all four games yesterday were blowouts.... but all four of the 4 and 5 seeds advanced, so the games tomorrow should be a lot better.

Denver got ....

Notre Dame vs. George Mason, Wash St vs. Winthrop, Pitt vs. Oral Roberts and Michigan State vs. Temple.

The top four advanced so tomorrow the games in Denver are

Pitt vs. Mich State and Notre Dame vs. Wash State.

If we're really going to get technical here, both Wright and Falwell-types believe in a Christian God which makes them idiots in equal measure who should never be allowed within miles of the White House.

But we're not electing a pastor here.

Honestly I'm relieved that Barack Obama apparently hasn't been paying enough attention in church for the last 20 years to realize that his pastor was balls crazy.

Shows he can tune out religious bullshit, which is always a nice trait.

Back