Does altruism exist?

Tinkerpeach

It does not.

Every action taken by a human is done out of selfishness.

If a soldier jumps on a grenade to save his platoon he is not doing it for them but for himself.

In the soldiers mind the thing he desires most in that moment is to save his platoon so his action is driven by that desire to get what HE wants.

Every human being on the planet who is capable of rational thought makes every decision based on selfishness.

you obviously are not a parent

Being a parent has no bearing on my point

Every action a parent makes is because it is what they want, if they make the choice to punish their child it is because they have made the decision that this is what they want to do regardless of the reason.

It is still them taking action according to their want in that moment

It does not.

If a soldier jumps on a grenade to save his platoon he is not doing it for them but for himself.

In the soldiers mind the thing he desires most in that moment is to save his platoon so his action is driven by that desire to get what HE wants.

Every human being on the planet who is capable of rational thought makes every decision based on selfishness.

That is a false thread.

Being a parent has no bearing on my point

oh it does. This is a essentially a no true Scotsman fallacy. Without actually knowing what is in my heart, you will simply claim I did it for myself.

no proof, just an opinion. so this is a rather lame debate thread to be honest

It does not.

I'm not entirely in agreement but the general principle holds true I think to a large extent. My question would be, so what?

I have taken on the burden of educating the people on this forum and this thread is part of that.

I require no thanks for my work but simply desire to help people.

I have taken on the burden of educating the people on this forum and this thread is part of that.

I require no thanks for my work but simply desire to help people.

seek help for your narcissism. you are a shitty debater, and convinced no one here of anything

the irony here is he did not prove anything, but he did make a pretty strong case for the fact that he is always selfish in every thought and deed

No I stated a fact which you cannot debate which is why you haven’t countered it

you are a dumb person. - hey look at me stating "facts" now derp derp

"If a soldier jumps on a grenade to save his platoon he is not doing it for them but for himself."

that is an opinion. and a dumb one at that.

If anyone thinks it’s an opinion and not a fact then give me a single example of an unselfish act and I will show you why it isn’t.

I am here all day and will take on all challengers

If anyone thinks it’s an opinion and not a fact then give me a single example of an unselfish act and I will show you why it isn’t.

derp derp

you will show it my saying what they were actually thinking - which is another opinion

when is recess over BTW? you are a bore

You claimed to know if God can create a rock he cannot move. You never answered. Stop trolling.

So you can’t give an example, got it.

NEXT!

throwing yourself on a grenade is the example

you - being a barely functioning retard - says - "oh I know what he was thinking - he did it for his own self interest" :laugh:

you are fucking stupid.

being dead is a lot like being dumb - everyone else feels the pain of your condition. so you got that going for yourself

Back