Does altruism exist?

I'm not entirely in agreement but the general principle holds true I think to a large extent. My question would be, so what?

I find myself in the unlikely position of agreeing with your comment here, Yakuda.
I hope this doesn't cause you to rethink it, because you've pretty much hit it on the head.

You obviously are not capable of critical thought

you are a pussy debater - scared to continue on so you hide from quoting people

you don't even debate - you claim to know what they are thinking - which is just conjecture :laugh:

you lost this debate in your very first entry by claiming to know why he jumped on a grenade. sadly being a retard, you don't understand why you keep losing, but you keep finding yourself a loser in life.

I have taken on the burden of educating the people on this forum and this thread is part of that.

I require no thanks for my work but simply desire to help people.

My advice to you: Take on a different burden! You are not equipped for this one.

you obviously are not a parent

you are a pussy debater - scared to continue on so you hide from quoting people

you don't even debate - you claim to know what they are thinking - which is just conjecture :laugh:

you lost this debate in your very first entry by claiming to know why he jumped on a grenade. sadly being a retard, you don't understand why you keep losing, but you keep finding yourself a loser in life.

I never claimed to know what they are thinking I made a statement about how the human brain functions in regards to its thought process

And I’m not debating because none of you can bring up anything for me to debate.

I am waiting patiently

I find myself in the unlikely position of agreeing with your comment here, Yakuda.
I hope this doesn't cause you to rethink it, because you've pretty much hit it on the head.

Finally smartened up eh Frank?

Matt Walsh once said if he was at a rally opposing cannibalism and a leftist showed up to oppose it as well, he'd immediately be in favor of cannibalism. I wouldn't go that far but it's nice to see you thinking clearly for once.

Last edited:
It does not.

Every action taken by a human is done out of selfishness.

If a soldier jumps on a grenade to save his platoon he is not doing it for them but for himself.

In the soldiers mind the thing he desires most in that moment is to save his platoon so his action is driven by that desire to get what HE wants.

Every human being on the planet who is capable of rational thought makes every decision based on selfishness.

Disagreed. There's a genetic component to species survival in altruism but there are limitations.

You are defining it giving one's life for others, but it's a matter of degree. It could be just giving money, time (volunteerism) or physical actions like catching a stranger's baby falling out of a highchair in a restaurant.

Mankind existed for tens of thousands of years as small tribes of people. Tribes where people sacrificed themselves a bit for the tribe were more likely to survive, and thrive, than tribes where it was every member for themselves as you believe.

Disagreed. There's a genetic component to species survival in altruism but there are limitations.

You are defining it giving one's life for others, but it's a matter of degree. It could be just giving money, time (volunteerism) or physical actions like catching a stranger's baby falling out of a highchair in a restaurant.

Mankind existed for tens of thousands of years as small tribes of people. Tribes where people sacrificed themselves a bit for the tribe were more likely to survive, and thrive, than tribes where it was every member for themselves as you believe.

I think the point the OP might make, no matter how imperfectly, is that people in tribes did sacrifice themselves a bit but it was for their own survival not other members of the tribe. The implication of the OP seem to be that selfishness is bad but your example correctly shows that selfishness can help everyone when it is properly ordered.

As I said I was discussing his mind, not his actual thought

Don’t think I am the dumbass here

you were explaining the thoughts he had in his mind.

I honestly feel some sympathy for you here. a retarded narcissist is a horrible combination. your burden is heavy

Being a parent has no bearing on my point

Every action a parent makes is because it is what they want, if they make the choice to punish their child it is because they have made the decision that this is what they want to do regardless of the reason.

It is still them taking action according to their want in that moment

Altruism exists between parents and their children. That's more easily seen in certain species of animals that would risk their lives to save their progeny. Again, it varies by degree.

Are you anti-science, Peach? Do you think genetics don't matter?

I think the point the OP might make, no matter how imperfectly, is that people in tribes did sacrifice themselves a bit but it was for their own survival not other members of the tribe. The implication of the OP seem to be that selfishness is bad but your example correctly shows that selfishness can help everyone when it is properly ordered.

people largely act in their own self interest -which is why capitalism is the preferred economic solution - you have to setup a system that follows human instincts.

but only the sith (and retards) deal in absolutes

you obviously are not a parent

You are missing the point.

Regardless of the time period any decision a human makes is because that is the decision they want to make.

They are doing it because that is what THEY want.

That is pure selfishness

While a decision may produce an altruistic result the decision can only be made out of selfishness

people largely act in their own self interest -which is why capitalism is the preferred economic solution - you have to setup a system that follows human instincts.

but only the sith (and retards) deal in absolutes

Correct.

Also correct

A survival instinct is common among mammals and most critters. That's not to say they wouldn't risk their lives for their young, their mate or tribal mates.

While I agree there's a lot of culture/nurture there, there's also a genetic component to bravery, violent instinct, etc. which would result in altruism, no matter how slight.

Back