Does PTSD drive obsession with hoarding guns?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
Discuss...

Many military related PTSD patients are known gun nuts. When discovered during treatment the VA is compelled by law to notify the authorities. It has been only a CYA (cover your ass) notification and usually nothing further has happened. I hope and expect that to change significantly and soon.

First I would ask what you consider "hoarding guns". I have a number of firearms. Some are collector pieces. Most are either for hunting or target shooting.

How many guns does one have to have before it become "hoarding"?

First I would ask what you consider "hoarding guns". I have a number of firearms. Some are collector pieces. Most are either for hunting or target shooting. How many guns does one have to have before it become "hoarding"?

Good question. Let's see your inventory.

First I would ask what you consider "hoarding guns". I have a number of firearms. Some are collector pieces. Most are either for hunting or target shooting.

How many guns does one have to have before it become "hoarding"?

WB, I have great respect for you and I consider you reasonable and a friend on these issues as we have stood on the same side of this battlefield on several occasions. I have a little advise for you now. If you feel like someone is calling you a gun hoarder even though they haven't done that at all then you might do some introspection. You just might be a gun hoarder. Ditto on the gun nut question. I hope you can understand the concerns.

My inventory is excellent? Or is asking to see my inventory without defining "hoarding guns" or giving the criteria for which guns would make it hoarding?

I was responding to Hottie. Your concern belies your complexes. Introspection getting to 'ya?

Let's see your inventory so I can make an informed decision.

An informed decision? How will you do that? Is the decision based on the number of guns, the types of guns, the volume of ammunition stored or some other criteria?

If you are going to accuse people of hoarding guns, you need to be able to define what you mean. You cannot expect to be given an inventory so that you can simply proclaim that one is hoarding and one is not.

I was responding to Hottie. Your concern belies your complexes. Introspection getting to 'ya?

Single word answers rarely give much clarity. Which is why I asked for clarification. Much like I asked Legion for clarification.

I see I received as much clarity from you as I did from him.

An informed decision? How will you do that?

By examining your inventory.

Is the decision based on the number of guns, the types of guns, the volume of ammunition stored or some other criteria?

Not sure yet.

If you are going to accuse people of hoarding guns, you need to be able to define what you mean.

Did I "accuse" you of hoarding? I don't recall doing that.

You cannot expect to be given an inventory so that you can simply proclaim that one is hoarding and one is not.

You boasted that you have "a number of firearms...collector pieces".

I'm just curious. Why so defensive?

What do you mean by "hoarding" guns? We need something a bit more precise than what we have so far.

An informed decision? How will you do that? Is the decision based on the number of guns, the types of guns, the volume of ammunition stored or some other criteria?

If you are going to accuse people of hoarding guns, you need to be able to define what you mean. You cannot expect to be given an inventory so that you can simply proclaim that one is hoarding and one is not.

so true. essentially what 'mr. pro gun rights' (according to grind) is saying:

i will make a determination as i see fit based on my subjective view of what is hoarding.

thank goodness only grind sees him as pro second amendment.

By examining your inventory.
You will base your determination of whether I am hoarding guns on my inventory, and yet you have not offered one iota of information about how you will make the determination.

Not sure yet.

That is what I thought. I'm sure you can see why I would have my doubts as to your accuracy in determining who is hoarding and who is not?

Did I "accuse" you of hoarding? I don't recall doing that.

I don't recall saying you accused me of anything.

You boasted that you have "a number of firearms...collector pieces".

I do indeed have a number of firearms. And I do indeed have a few collectors pieces.

I'm just curious. Why so defensive?

I am not defensive at all. I simply asked you to define "hoarding guns".

What do you mean by "hoarding" guns? We need something a bit more precise than what we have so far.

Hoarders come in all types, colors and configurations, dammy. Why be so persnickety? Are you and WB feeling persecuted? How long have these thoughts been bothering you? Have you sought help with them before?

Here are two inventory lists. Can you tell me if either of them represents "hoarding guns"?

List #1
1) Ruger No. 1 in .270 Win
2) Ruger Super Blackhawk
3) Ruger 10/22
4) Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 Govt
5) Remington M700 in 7mm magnum
6) Remington Model 35 single shot .22 (circa 1927)
7) S&W Hammerless in .38 S&W (circa 1935)
8) Ruger Blackhawk “50th Anniversary of the .44 Magnum”
9) Browning Citori 12 ga O/U
10) Remington 870 12 ga
11) Savage Single shot 16 ga
12) Ruger Single Six .22lr/.22WMR

List #2
1) Ruger No. 1 in .270 Win
2) Ruger Super Blackhawk
3) Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 Govt
4) Bushmaster M4 Carbine .223 Rem.
5) Glock 17 9mm
6) Remington Model 35 single shot .22 (circa 1927)
7) S&W Hammerless in .38 S&W (circa 1935)

Hoarders come in all types, colors and configurations, dammy. Why be so persnickety? Are you and WB feeling persecuted? How long have these thoughts been bothering you? Have you sought help with them before?

Considering that authorities will be notified and you stated " It has been only a CYA (cover your ass) notification and usually nothing further has happened. I hope and expect that to change significantly and soon.", I think defining the parameters of what is considered "hoarding guns" is a legitimate question.

yes, hoarders come in all types, colors and configurations. Some people hoard everything and some only hoard specific items.

But we are talking about hoarding guns. That is why I asked about that. Is it based on how many guns? Is it based on what type of guns? Why is that hard to answer?

Many military related PTSD patients are known gun nuts. When discovered during treatment the VA is compelled by law to notify the authorities. It has been only a CYA (cover your ass) notification and usually nothing further has happened. I hope and expect that to change significantly and soon.

Perhaps another petition is in order. :)

Back