Does the universe have a cause?

Wrong. Damocles stated that once you put someone on ignore they are automatically prevented from posting on your threads.
Nope. Look at his announcement again. He said that if you have someone on ignore and they react to your post or quote your post, you won't receive a notification about it. He didn't say anything about anyone being prevented from posting in your thread. THAT is the "thread ban" feature, of which I personally get around by posting a brand new "open discussion thread" about the same topic, and then the discussion moves over there instead because that's where EVERYONE can participate (and not just whoever happens to be in the splash pool).

THAT is the "thread ban" feature, of which I personally get around by posting a brand new "open discussion thread" about the same topic, and then the discussion moves over there instead because that's where EVERYONE can participate (and not just whoever happens to be in the splash pool).
Yours is such a straightforward approach, it all becomes a "cause without a rebel."

You can't claim that your argument is both very important and unimportant at the same time. If your argument is as important as you insist then you will answer clarification questions. If you will not answer clarification questions then your argument is unimportant.

That is the contradictory smoke you are trying to blow up people's asses.

I'm sure you're an expert on having smoke,cock,toys up your ass! Thats why they call you the Hemorrhoid Kid

Nope. Look at his announcement again. He said that if you have someone on ignore and they react to your post or quote your post, you won't receive a notification about it. He didn't say anything about anyone being prevented from posting in your thread. THAT is the "thread ban" feature, of which I personally get around by posting a brand new "open discussion thread" about the same topic, and then the discussion moves over there instead because that's where EVERYONE can participate (and not just whoever happens to be in the splash pool).

dont fucking care

You will be banned from all my threads.

I do not think so.

Christians say God caused the universe, but that is not satisfying. What caused God?

Why cannot the universe exist without a cause.

I enjoy your posts on this subject, so please take this for what it is worth...

Have you ever considered that 'the Universe' cannot be understood in human terms?

I do not think so.
... and you might be correct about that. I personally think that you are.

Christians say God caused the universe,
Some Christians do. Other Christians don't. As for me, I used to believe that God caused the universe, but I've since changed my mind and now believe that the universe, like God, is uncaused, otherwise God would have nowhere to exist.

What Christians will agree upon, however, is that God created ("caused") the heaven(s) and the Earth. (Genesis 1:1)

but that is not satisfying. What caused God?
Nothing caused God... Same as your (and my) belief that nothing caused the universe.

It could (and I think that it does).

I enjoy your posts on this subject, so please take this for what it is worth...

Have you ever considered that 'the Universe' cannot be understood in human terms?

Humans only have human understanding. What other kind of understanding is there? I don't think mystifying knowledge is helpful.

Humans only have human understanding. What other kind of understanding is there? I don't think mystifying knowledge is helpful.

To me, there is an understanding that cannot be put to words. Zen maybe. Its akin to how experienced drivers drive without really thinking about it. How you feel when you see beauty.

To me, there is an understanding that cannot be put to words. Zen maybe. Its akin to how experienced drivers drive without really thinking about it. How you feel when you see beauty.

I see no contradiction between understanding and beauty. They complement each other.

Bertrand Russell said there is no such thing as the universe. "Russell: Yes, I don't think there's any meaning in it at all. I think the word "universe" is a handy word in some connections, but I don't think it stands for anything that has a meaning."
http://www.scandalon.co.uk/philosophy/cosmological_radio.htm

The idea of the multiverse is very convincing.

I see no contradiction between understanding and beauty. They complement each other.

It can be understood, but Ive never found a way to verbalize it and, except in metaphor with poetry, I have never seen a description written. Our language is inadequate to define it in any direct way.

It can be understood, but Ive never found a way to verbalize it and, except in metaphor with poetry, I have never seen a description written. Our language is inadequate to define it in any direct way.

Humans are part of nature. We are not outsiders looking outward.

Beauty? It is in the eye of the beholder which means it is the stimulation of a circuit in the brain's neuron network that provides pleasure (whether it's a neurotransmitter increase or some other suite of neuronal materials)

That sounds pretty uninspiring, by a long shot. But it also gets to the "personal nature" of what is beautiful without creating some "absolute standard for beauty". It kind of explains why beauty is hard to describe to someone else. The best one can do is the poetry you mentioned or the flowery prose, all of which are often little more than metaphors for the thing of beauty.

And just as likely that someone somewhere will find it ugly.

Beauty? It is in the eye of the beholder which means it is the stimulation of a circuit in the brain's neuron network that provides pleasure (whether it's a neurotransmitter increase or some other suite of neuronal materials)

That sounds pretty uninspiring, by a long shot. But it also gets to the "personal nature" of what is beautiful without creating some "absolute standard for beauty". It kind of explains why beauty is hard to describe to someone else. The best one can do is the poetry you mentioned or the flowery prose, all of which are often little more than metaphors for the thing of beauty.

Its not about beauty.

Yes, I'm fully aware that you don't care about the truth.

Splendid! Please do that.

And if there's a thread of yours that I wish to respond to, I will simply create a parallel "open discussion thread" and respond to your post there, and the conversation will naturally move over there instead. :)

Thanks for the help.

I do not think so.

Christians say God caused the universe, but that is not satisfying. What caused God?

Time compares results that have existed prior to existing forward so far where the future is developing forward now as everything was eternally separate details so far working contracting combinations that either eroded or decomposed after the end cycle of universal positions and ancestral displacements that created current events uniquely timed apart here as a whole to did, doing, does or doesn't continue as universally positioned now.

I am simply using periodic elements, ancestral chromosomes, thermodynamic principles about forms shaped never creating or destroying total sum left evolving into results never same again now occupying space here as uniquely displaced.

We don't need to be Platonists to talk about beauty.
I was on the beach in Hawaii and at sunset almost everyone stood up and watched and many took pictures. No one needs to debate an absolute concept.

Back