Ethanol is retarded

Yep we need to make lots more dirty bomb materials.

I support reasonable nuke power.

And where did I talk of carbon footprints ? polloution yes but not carbon footprints.

as I said before ethanol is just a beginning, it will take a mix of tech and conservation to achieve any degree of independence from ME oil.

more common sense, from USC.

Fretting and wringing our hands over one problem with alternative energy, does not negate the fact that we have to evaluate this comprehensively, and move forward on all fronts.

As for bio-fuel, two words: cellulosic ethanol.

as I said before ethanol is just a beginning, it will take a mix of tech and conservation to achieve any degree of independence from ME oil.

Ethanol is not a beginning. It would be far more cost effective to throw our wait around any of the other alternatives, even if they may come later.

more common sense, from USC.

Fretting and wringing our hands over one problem with alternative energy, does not negate the fact that we have to evaluate this comprehensively, and move forward on all fronts.

As for bio-fuel, two words: cellulosic ethanol.

Cellulosic ethanol isn't efficient either. We'd have to grow that switchgrass on 10% of the land in America to supply all of our needs.

The fundamental problem here is that we are at a northern latitude here. And where does the energy that causes plants to grow that is later converted into ethanol come from? The sun. We don't get much sunlight. The tropics get a lot more sunlight, and their ethanol producing plants can be grown on much less space using much less labor. It's just science.

So we must either import plants from the tropics, or wait some more time for another alternative. Currently, we have huge tariffs on the plants from the tropics, so I guess it's just the corn lobby wanting us to be dependent on a volatile region for more time.

Seems like according to some if a soloution is not perfect it is to be avoided. Strange attitude to get from those who voted for bush :D

We could put it into hydrogen. Or electric.

we do not yet have the technology or distribution system, but we have the distribution system for E85 in place. why wait when we can do a small step now ? Yep lets just put it all off until we have a complete soloution. :rolleyes: the longer we put off working on the soloution the deeper the hole we are in.

Last edited:
we do not yet have the technology or distribution system, but we have the distribution system for E85 in place. why wait when we can do a small step now ? Yep lets just put it all off until we have a complete soloution. :rolleyes:

Or we can import from Brazil. Otherwise, we're not really fixing the problem. We're just delaying the solution.

I give up on you on this topic WM you are just too obtuse for me. you "win" :clink:

I am smart enough to know when I am being outgassed.

I give up on you on this topic WM you are just too obtuse for me. you "win" :clink:

I am smart enough to know when I am being outgassed.

Dude, you're the one being obtuse. I've given all the information anyone with a brain needs to know that ethanol is retarded and will only extend our oil dependency.

Dude, you're the one being obtuse. I've given all the information anyone with a brain needs to know that ethanol is retarded and will only extend our oil dependency.

If ethanol is all we do you are correct. also the ethanol industry is in it's infancy.
Just another 6 months .... :D

Illinois has been requiring a minimum 10% ethanol since the early 1970's.

I am speaking about our latest E85 mix and new more efficient methods of producing ethanol and different sources.
we have been making ethanol for over 100 years I think.

Ethanol is not a solution.
As it currently stands it isn't. The reality is, innovation could make it a solution. Even farming can create a solution that we don't yet know. They may be able to find a way to grow more corn in a closed environment on plants that are genetically engineered....

There is about an infinite amount of what we don't know that might be discovered. Anything that begins working in the direction of finding new solutions is a good thing. Necessity is the mother of invention, and there is nothing more necessary than the directive to protect our own behinds by discontinuing the need to play in the ME.

I am speaking about our latest E85 mix and new more efficient methods of producing ethanol and different sources.
we have been making ethanol for over 100 years I think.
Way longer than that. The original Fords were designed with a carburetor that could be switched to run either fuel. However the oil lobby of the time killed that innovative idea and thus we produced what we use today....

Back