Fairness Doctrine

Well, I guess you would know who all the rightwing talkers on radio are, given that you are a fan of the o'reilly radio show. :clink:

I thought the reference to Dobbs, Hannity, and Grace were in reference to cable shows. Wow, what a massive burn on me!
I thought the clue in was "fairness doctrine". It is far more likely talking about radio shows than cable. As you pointed out while foolishly asking what others are talking about.

Dobbs is a syndicated radio show host.

Again, Hannity is also a radio show host. Because you can't comprehend it the first time as evinced by your repeating it here as only a tv show, I'll repeat it. Hannity is also a radio show host. As well as Nancy Grace. Shoot she recently won an award for that show.

Now, go away and spend time in a thread calling old people worthless, that is the only time you seem to make any sense and promote the true feeling of your party.

If your ideas are not good enough to draw a listenership then no one should be forced to put you on their radio station that makes money by selling ad space on shows that LOTS of people listen too. The Fairness Doctrine is Bullshit.

If your ideas are not good enough to draw a listenership then no one should be forced to put you on their radio station that makes money by selling ad space on shows that LOTS of people listen too. The Fairness Doctrine is Bullshit.
QFT.

Exactly.

And the gentleman gets an 'Amen'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/F/htmlF/fairnessdoct/fairnessdoct.htmhere is a good little history on it.

You will hopefully note that all it is is a porovision that a station must provide air time for apposing views of what they air.

It give the viewer a chance to hear all sides of an issue instead of just what the station owner wants heard.
And that is what I object to. I do not want the government tellling the owner of any radio station what the content of their programing should be. They are already required by law to run public service anouncements. Lets now imagine a world where they are required to run the political views of all different political parties and persuasions. Do you really want White Aryan Resistence or Stormfront having equal time on your radio stations? I don't, and no owner should be required to present opposing political viewpoints on their stations. While the licences are granted in the public interest, that does not mean that evey voice has to be heard. If you WANT to be heard then package your product in such a way that you pick up a listener base. If there is not enough stations with progressive views, write Soros and spin an idea for a radio network and get a grant from him. Soros gives away SHIT LOADS of money for progressive causes. Any idea that HAS to have government force behind it is not worth listening to.

"Government-enforced right of access inescapably dampens the vigor and limits the variety of public debate." Miami Herald Publishing Co. v. Tornillo, 418 U.S. 241 (1974),

what are you guys talking about?

The government can't control, or impose the fairness doctrine on cable television. They can't do sh*t about o'liely, nancy grace, or lou dobbs. They can only regulate the public airwaves.

If I were I fascist, I'd want it for cable too. :clink:

Soc,

I dont agree.

What we now have is a media that has full license to lie to the people.

They use OUR airwaves.

Media coverage of the Iraq war is less than 20% of what it was 1 yr ago.
Out of sight out of mind. Not allowed to show caskets of dead troops, imbedded reporters, etc.

And some of us want truth, not what sells.

And that is what I object to. I do not want the government tellling the owner of any radio station what the content of their programing should be. They are already required by law to run public service anouncements. Lets now imagine a world where they are required to run the political views of all different political parties and persuasions. Do you really want White Aryan Resistence or Stormfront having equal time on your radio stations? I don't, and no owner should be required to present opposing political viewpoints on their stations. While the licences are granted in the public interest, that does not mean that evey voice has to be heard. If you WANT to be heard then package your product in such a way that you pick up a listener base. If there is not enough stations with progressive views, write Soros and spin an idea for a radio network and get a grant from him. Soros gives away SHIT LOADS of money for progressive causes. Any idea that HAS to have government force behind it is not worth listening to.

They can still air whatever they want. They just have to give some equal airtime to someone who requests to air a desenting opinion. If they dont want to air desenting opinion then only air facts in your news and not opinion.

They can still air whatever they want. They just have to give some equal airtime to someone who requests to air a desenting opinion. If they dont want to air desenting opinion then only air facts in your news and not opinion.

Talk shows are opinions, they are not news shows. If there is a demand for the KKK's opinion then there would be a station for it. There are far more than a Democrat and Republican side to every story. You cannot possibly regulate that.

What he said.

Back