Fascinating Study on Cultural Differences Between Northerners and Southerners

Epicurus

Reasonable
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/712842.html

The American South has long been more violent than the North. Colorful descriptions of duels, feuds, bushwhackings, and lynchings feature prominently in visitors’ accounts, newspaper articles, and autobiographies from the eighteenth century onward. Statistics bear out these impressions. For example, over the period 1865–1915, the homicide rate in the South was ten times the current rate for the whole United States, and twice the rate in our most violent cities. Modern homicide statistics tell the same story.

In their book, Culture of Honor, psychologists Richard Nisbett and Dov Cohen argue that the South is more violent than the North because southern people have culturally acquired beliefs about personal honor that are different from their northern counterparts. Southerners, they argue, believe more strongly than Northerners that a person’s reputation is important and worth defending even at great cost. As a consequence, arguments and confrontations that lead to harsh words or minor scuffles in Amherst or Ann Arbor often escalate to lethal violence in Asheville or Austin.

What else could explain these differences? Some feature of the southern environment, such as its greater warmth, could explain why Southerners are more violent. Such hypotheses are plausible, and Nisbett and Cohen are at pains to test them. Northerners and Southerners might differ genetically, but this hypothesis is not very plausible. The settlers of the North and South came mostly from the British Isles and adjacent areas of northwestern Europe. Human populations are quite well mixed on this scale.

Nisbett and Cohen support their hypothesis with an impressive range of evidence. Let’s start with statistical patterns of violence. In the rural and small-town South, murder rates are elevated for arguments among friends and acquaintances, but not for killings committed in the course of other felonies. In other words, in the South men are more likely than Northerners to kill an acquaintance when an argument breaks out in a bar, but they are no more likely to kill the guy behind the counter when they knock off a liquor store. Thus, Southerners seem to be more violent than other Americans only in situations that involve personal honor. Competing hypotheses don’t do so well: neither white per-capita income nor hot climate nor history of slavery explain this variation in homicide.

Differences in what people say about violence also support the “culture of honor” hypothesis. For example, Nisbett and Cohen asked people to read vignettes in which a man’s honor was challenged—sometimes trivially (for example, by insults to his wife), and in other cases seriously (for example, by stealing his wife). Southern respondents were more likely than Northerners to say that violent responses were justified in all cases, and that one would “not be much of a man” unless he responded violently to insults. In the case of more serious affronts, southern respondents were almost twice as likely to say that shooting the perpetrator was justified.

Last edited:
Interestingly, this difference in behavior is not just talk; it can also be observed under the controlled conditions of the psychology laboratory. Working at the University of Michigan, Nisbett and Cohen recruited participants from northern and southern backgrounds, ostensibly to participate in an experiment on perception. As part of the procedure, an experimenter’s confederate bumped some participants and muttered “Asshole!” at them. This insult had very different effects on southern and northern participants, as revealed by the next part of the experiment.

Sometime after being bumped, participants encountered another confederate walking toward them down the middle of a narrow hall, setting up a little game of chicken. This confederate, a six-foot, three-inch, 250-pound linebacker on the UM football squad, was much bigger and stronger than any participant, and had been instructed to keep walking until either the participant stepped aside and let him pass or a collision was immanent. Northerners stepped aside when the confederate was six feet away, whether or not they had been insulted. Southerners who had not been insulted stepped aside when they were nine feet away from the confederate, while previously insulted Southerners continued walking until they were just three feet away. Polite, but prepared to be violent, uninsulted Southerners take more care, presumably because they attribute a sense of honor to the football player and are careful not to test it. When their own honor is challenged, however, they are willing to challenge someone at considerable risk to their own safety.

These behavioral differences have physiological correlates. In a similar confederate-insulter experiment, Nisbett and Cohen measured levels of two hormones, cortisol and testosterone, in participants before and after they had been insulted. Physiologists know that cortisol levels increase in response to stress, and testosterone levels rise in preparation for violence. Insulted Southerners showed much bigger jumps in cortisol and testosterone than insulted Northerners.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/712842.html

The American South has long been more violent than the North. Colorful descriptions of duels, feuds, bushwhackings, and lynchings feature prominently in visitors’ accounts, newspaper articles, and autobiographies from the eighteenth century onward. Statistics bear out these impressions. For example, over the period 1865–1915, the homicide rate in the South was ten times the current rate for the whole United States, and twice the rate in our most violent cities. Modern homicide statistics tell the same story.

In their book, Culture of Honor, psychologists Richard Nisbett and Dov Cohen argue that the South is more violent than the North because southern people have culturally acquired beliefs about personal honor that are different from their northern counterparts. Southerners, they argue, believe more strongly than Northerners that a person’s reputation is important and worth defending even at great cost. As a consequence, arguments and confrontations that lead to harsh words or minor scuffles in Amherst or Ann Arbor often escalate to lethal violence in Asheville or Austin.

What else could explain these differences? Some feature of the southern environment, such as its greater warmth, could explain why Southerners are more violent. Such hypotheses are plausible, and Nisbett and Cohen are at pains to test them. Northerners and Southerners might differ genetically, but this hypothesis is not very plausible. The settlers of the North and South came mostly from the British Isles and adjacent areas of northwestern Europe. Human populations are quite well mixed on this scale.

Nisbett and Cohen support their hypothesis with an impressive range of evidence. Let’s start with statistical patterns of violence. In the rural and small-town South, murder rates are elevated for arguments among friends and acquaintances, but not for killings committed in the course of other felonies. In other words, in the South men are more likely than Northerners to kill an acquaintance when an argument breaks out in a bar, but they are no more likely to kill the guy behind the counter when they knock off a liquor store. Thus, Southerners seem to be more violent than other Americans only in situations that involve personal honor. Competing hypotheses don’t do so well: neither white per-capita income nor hot climate nor history of slavery explain this variation in homicide.

Differences in what people say about violence also support the “culture of honor” hypothesis. For example, Nisbett and Cohen asked people to read vignettes in which a man’s honor was challenged—sometimes trivially (for example, by insults to his wife), and in other cases seriously (for example, by stealing his wife). Southern respondents were more likely than Northerners to say that violent responses were justified in all cases, and that one would “not be much of a man” unless he responded violently to insults. In the case of more serious affronts, southern respondents were almost twice as likely to say that shooting the perpetrator was justified.

Interesting analysis. I wasn't sure, but does the study claim that more murders are committed in the south, or just that the kinds of murders are considered more violent due to the "passion" factor?

interesting. i have noticed men seem to average bigger in the south then in the north. Wonder if has to do with diet as well growing up.

Interesting analysis. I wasn't sure, but does the study claim that more murders are committed in the south, or just that the kinds of murders are considered more violent due to the "passion" factor?

Their point is that Southerners are more willing to engage in conflict over perceived slights to their honor. But the study really focuses more on the psychology portion, I think the mention of crime rates was more of a hook at the start of the article.

I read something called The Celtic Thesis many years ago. It attributed the differences between the north and south (including the Civil War) to a difference in cultures.

The north being settle by anglo-saxons and the south by celts. The difference in the cultures was at the root of the problem.

Those same differences you wrote about, Epi, are marked differences in the two cultures.

I'm always a little skeptical about explanations like that, but it sounds like at least an interesting read.

I'm always a little skeptical about explanations like that, but it sounds like at least an interesting read.

Yeah, I am not sure I buy it as the cause for the civil war, but the info concerning the differences between the people who originally settled the north and south.

so if i said 'yo mama' or 'su madre' to a southerner, i would be more likely to get killed

but what about westerners

not to mention areas of large numbers of immigrants

being polite is usually a good thing no matter where you are

You'd think that losing the Civil War would have made honor less of a deal in the South compared with the North...

Of course, history's most famous duel was faught in New Jersey between a pair of New Yorkers (one an immigrant from the Caribbean), and the issue was one guy causing the other guy to lose a governor's race, having already caused him to lose a presidential election, and the guy's grandfather to lose a race for a 2-year term in the US Senate...

I read something called The Celtic Thesis many years ago. It attributed the differences between the north and south (including the Civil War) to a difference in cultures.

The north being settle by anglo-saxons and the south by celts. The difference in the cultures was at the root of the problem.

Those same differences you wrote about, Epi, are marked differences in the two cultures.

Weird.

I'm at least half Irish (although my ancestry, like most Americans, is extremely mixed up) and I grew up in a family that's lived in the southern US for about 300 years. There are always outliers, I guess.

You'd think that losing the Civil War would have made honor less of a deal in the South compared with the North...

Of course, history's most famous duel was faught in New Jersey between a pair of New Yorkers (one an immigrant from the Caribbean), and the issue was one guy causing the other guy to lose a governor's race, having already caused him to lose a presidential election, and the guy's grandfather to lose a race for a 2-year term in the US Senate...

How do you get a 2-year term in the US senate?

How do you get a 2-year term in the US senate?

In order to stagger the Senate, half of the seats in 1789 were set for 2-year terms and the other half for 6-year terms. Burr's grandfather ran for a 2-year seat, probably hoping that it would be an easier grab from which he could play off of incumbent status to stay on for another six.

Weird.

I'm at least half Irish (although my ancestry, like most Americans, is extremely mixed up) and I grew up in a family that's lived in the southern US for about 300 years. There are always outliers, I guess.

I am irish as well. The celtic traditions came from Ireland as we as other places.

And there's the scots Irish. There's an interesting tale. Not wanted in ireland, not wanted in scotland, not really wanted in america. Drunken layabout moonshiners and fiddlers.

Oh. and the original rednecks were pro union democrats.

Oh. And this obstreporous sanctity of self is what saved this entire country from the british, after the townies folded like yella cowards.

Back