Fascinating Study on Cultural Differences Between Northerners and Southerners

I read something called The Celtic Thesis many years ago. It attributed the differences between the north and south (including the Civil War) to a difference in cultures.

The north being settle by anglo-saxons and the south by celts. The difference in the cultures was at the root of the problem.

Those same differences you wrote about, Epi, are marked differences in the two cultures.

I have heard of this, but it was more pertaining to Scotch clannish mentalities which kept the South from uniting more cohesively against the North.

I'm an orchid-growing actor who knows nothing about pro football, yet still I am prone to "the fuck d'you say to me, son?!!"--type responses when someone decides to be an ass. Otherwise I am pretty damned polite, even though I don't have to be (translation: I'm a big fat strong wood-choppin mountain boy). Hell, even being born with a VERY non-violent nature, when I was thrown down and kicked in grade school I would stand back up and get in the bullies' faces -- despite not having the gumption to actually get violent when only my safety was in question. I'm a hell of a ferocious defender of others though (maybe more towards the honor/chivalry thing).

Speaking of honor and chivalry, ever notice how many more people hold the door for you and greet you eye-to-eye in the south? Thoughts?

I want to go on my typical lash back against the Northern Bias.
But an LSU and Bama fan had and argument during the game in Ala and one shot the other.

I want to go on my typical lash back against the Northern Bias.
But an LSU and Bama fan had and argument during the game in Ala and one shot the other.

That was truly sad. What is almost as sad is a letter to the editor in an Alabama newspaper calling on Saban to take responsibility for his actions concerning this murder.

Tekster! How are ya? We need to get together at Maggie's again.
I would have to agree with you on the defending others. I am more likely to get violent in defense of someone else than myself.

The south are a little obsessive over college football.

Happens all over, I'm sure you've heard of football hooligans over on the other side of the Atlantic. Don't know much about football in general, myself. Personally, I think the pitcher gets far too much help from the quarterback in hockey.

(*done on a Homer Simpson whisper*: I was being ironical there; didja see it?)

Solitary, my man, you got it. Any time. Remember, I can put you and Miss Petite up in a jacuzzi tub room in my neck of the woods pert damn cheap and pert damn quick!

Regarding our abilities to stand up for others before ourselves: that's how you and I came to meet in person! LOL, too bad the little turd didn't show }:-) (you KNOW we'd have befriended his dumb ass)

The south are a little obsessive over college football.

I saw a bumper sticker in Tuscaloosa during Bill Curry's tenure as head coach. It said "Alabama Football is not a matter of Life & Death. Its much more important than that!".

I can think of several southern schools that feel the same way.

Most regions have something that lots of people obsess about. Ours just happens to be football. Its a grand tradition.

Happens all over, I'm sure you've heard of football hooligans over on the other side of the Atlantic. Don't know much about football in general, myself. Personally, I think the pitcher gets far too much help from the quarterback in hockey.

(*done on a Homer Simpson whisper*: I was being ironical there; didja see it?)

Solitary, my man, you got it. Any time. Remember, I can put you and Miss Petite up in a jacuzzi tub room in my neck of the woods pert damn cheap and pert damn quick!

Regarding our abilities to stand up for others before ourselves: that's how you and I came to meet in person! LOL, too bad the little turd didn't show }:-) (you KNOW we'd have befriended his dumb ass)

According to his last post on these forums and the message he sent me he was almost put in jail for four years. Somehow it was my fault, but he didn't elaborate.

Yeah, we would have bought his goofy little ass a few beers and we would have all been friends. Maybe he knew that and THAT is the reason he didn't show?

I saw a bumper sticker in Tuscaloosa during Bill Curry's tenure as head coach. It said "Alabama Football is not a matter of Life & Death. Its much more important than that!".

Most regions have something that lots of people obsess about. Ours just happens to be football. Its a grand tradition.

Probably similar to how we up here obsess over the redsox, the patriots, the Celtics, and the bruins.

I just never got into any college sports except for basketball as I lived 20min away from University of Connecticut growing up.

Yeah, you can't be an internet toughguy if you realize there are human beings on the other end.

How....how the hell did YOU almost get him jailed for four years? o.O

(addressing Solitary)

Last edited:
Yeah, you can't be an internet toughguy if you realize there are human beings on the other end.

How....how the hell did YOU almost get him jailed for four years? o.O

(addressing Solitary)

No earthly idea. He just made the accusation and disappeared again. Given the choice between knowing the answer and being rid of him, I don't mind the mystery.

Probably similar to how we up here obsess over the redsox, the patriots, the Celtics, and the bruins.

I just never got into any college sports except for basketball as I lived 20min away from University of Connecticut growing up.

Chap, I have enjoyed some of the other sports including MLB, NFL and college hoops. There is nothing wrong with obsessing on any of those.

But I will give you a standing invitation for next football season to come to Tuscaloosa for one of the Crimson Tide's home games. We won't even have to go in to watch the game. The tailgating, the events on The Quad, the Elephant Stomp down Bryant Dr, and the rest are all worth seeing on their own.

(of course, if you give me warning and I can get tickets, you have even more fun)

Southern college football is a cultural event.

No earthly idea. He just made the accusation and disappeared again. Given the choice between knowing the answer and being rid of him, I don't mind the mystery.

's the kind of person who blames everyone but him/herself for all the negative aspects and happenings in their life. Sad.

To be truthful though, I did laugh at just the idea of him/her telling you that. I know, I know, we shouldn't make fun of those who are less fortunate. :p

Chap, I have enjoyed some of the other sports including MLB, NFL and college hoops. There is nothing wrong with obsessing on any of those.

But I will give you a standing invitation for next football season to come to Tuscaloosa for one of the Crimson Tide's home games. We won't even have to go in to watch the game. The tailgating, the events on The Quad, the Elephant Stomp down Bryant Dr, and the rest are all worth seeing on their own.

(of course, if you give me warning and I can get tickets, you have even more fun)

Southern college football is a cultural event.

In Texas I have noticed people care more about the college football game then there pro teams.

I have a feeling its because of the shire size of the colleges in the south. They are just massive where as the schools up in New England are smaller.

The northeast likes rowing boats.

Back