Federal workers earning double their private counterparts

DamnYankee

Loyal to the end
http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/income/2010-08-10-1Afedpay10_ST_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

When a Democrat says he's going to create jobs, he means government jobs. Those bastards. We now have a ruling class, they are getting wealthier and more numerous, and they vote.
Yea and why is that? It's because they have affective unions who protect their ability to earn a living wage. With out them Repubicans would make sure they are earning minimum wage.

I think your probably being a bit of a hypocrit to. Ever turn down extra pay on a prevailing wage government contract?

Ya know it used to be the other way around. Private sector wages grew at a faster rate then public sector and the public sector always had trouble keeping quality people cause they lost them to the private sector and it's higher wages.

Now that 10% at the top make half the money and workers and consumers rights have been eroded by 30 years of Republican governance we now find our self in the rediculous position where a person has a more financially secure future working for the Government where ones rights are protected, then working for subsistance wages in the private sector so that corporate CEO's can make 300 times what the average worker does.

Last edited:
I wonder if they need a Switch Engineer... :D
I have been very, very, very tempted to go to work for the Feds cause the pay for hazmat managers is substantially more then it is in the private sector. If you would have told me 20 years ago when I first got into this field when I was making 50% more then my government counterparts I would have laughed at you. Now they make more and have better working conditions. What went wrong?

Yea and why is that? It's because they have affective unions who protect their ability to earn a living wage. With out them Repubicans would make sure they are earning minimum wage.

I think your probably being a bit of a hypocrit to. Ever turn down extra pay on a prevailing wage government contract?

Ya know it used to be the other way around. Private sector wages grew at a faster rate then public sector and the public sector always had trouble keeping quality people cause they lost them to the private sector and it's higher wages.

Now that 10% at the top make half the money and workers and consumers rights have been eroded by 30 years of Republican governance we now find our self in the rediculous position where a person has a more financially secure future working for the Government where ones rights are protected, then working for subsistance wages in the private sector so that corporate CEO's can make 300 times what the average worker does.

it's because they don't produce a real product that obeys the n ormal rules of economics. Government runs huge losses

I have been very, very, very tempted to go to work for the Feds cause the pay for hazmat managers is substantially more then it is in the private sector. If you would have told me 20 years ago when I first got into this field when I was making 50% more then my government counterparts I would have laughed at you. Now they make more and have better working conditions. What went wrong?

Corruption and mismanagement. Par for the course with government

Somebody got hired into a really important position that wanted to draw as many people as possible into government dependency.

Looking at average earnings in the private sector versus average earnings in the public sector doesn't really tell you all that much because the makeup of occupational groups and their percentage compositions are dramatically different. You have to look at pay for comparable jobs with comparable education and experience levels to get a true sense of any pay disparity.

Looking at average earnings in the private sector versus average earnings in the public sector doesn't really tell you all that much because the makeup of occupational groups and their percentage compositions are dramatically different. You have to look at pay for comparable jobs with comparable education and experience levels to get a true sense of any pay disparity.
Well I did just that. A job for a "agricultural engineer" is paying a low of 88K, up to 126K, depending on experience. Although it doesn't say # of years, based on my knowledge of the field I'd say that one could meet the minimum qualification at about 5 years after college, and the max by working the job another 5. Plus they get boku benefits, 10 holidays, 13 sick days plus vacation, tax-free retirement savings plan with matching agency contributions, and federal retirement benefit after as little as one year. Nothing in the private sector comes close to that.

Also, you're a parrot for The Omama Administration:

National Treasury Employees Union President Colleen Kelley told USA Today: “The data are not useful for a direct public-private pay comparison.” And it is true: federal workers often are better educated and more experienced than private sector workers. But after controlling for education and experience, The Heritage Foundation’s James Sherk found that federal employees get paid 22 percent more per hour on average than private-sector workers. Throw in the lavish benefits that federal government workers receive, and federal employees earn approximately 30 to 40 percent more in total compensation than comparable private-sector workers.
http://blog.heritage.org/2010/08/10/morning-bell-under-obamanomics-government-workers-win-you-lose/

As a preliminary matter, the disparity in pay has very little to do with the Obama Administration. Federal employees received only one 2% pay increase under Obama.

Second, even the author of the piece at the link agrees with what I'm saying:

Of course, these averages mask large differences in pay across occupations and skill levels. Many federal employees in highly skilled occupations receive market wages. However, semi-skilled federal workers earn substantially more than they would in the private sector.

You'd have to look at pay for comparable jobs with comparable education and experience to get any meaningful information.

As a preliminary matter, the disparity in pay has very little to do with the Obama Administration. Federal employees received only one 2% pay increase under Obama.

Second, even the author of the piece at the link agrees with what I'm saying:

You'd have to look at pay for comparable jobs with comparable education and experience to get any meaningful information.

From my earlier link:

Nationally, private wages fell six percent in 2009 while government pay rose 2.6 percent.

Which means that The Obama caused a net differential in private vs public pay of 8.6% in one year.

And from my earlier post:
And it is true: federal workers often are better educated and more experienced than private sector workers. But after controlling for education and experience, The Heritage Foundation’s James Sherk found that federal employees get paid 22 percent more per hour on average than private-sector workers. Throw in the lavish benefits that federal government workers receive, and federal employees earn approximately 30 to 40 percent more in total compensation than comparable private-sector workers.

From my earlier link:

Which means that The Obama caused a net differential in private vs public pay of 8.6% in one year.

The 2009 pay raise was done by Bush.

But, as I said, controlling for education and experience without controlling for occupational groups, doesn't tell you anything useful. You have to control for the work performed, not just the worker. My quote from your source supports that. Here is it again:

Of course, these averages mask large differences in pay across occupations and skill levels. Many federal employees in highly skilled occupations receive market wages. However, semi-skilled federal workers earn substantially more than they would in the private sector.

You have to control for occupation.

From my earlier link:

Right...now Obama is responsible for private sector wages lost...

ROTFLMAO...GOD love ya MAN...you just keep getting crazier and crazier!!

The 2009 pay raise was done by Bush.

But, as I said, controlling for education and experience without controlling for occupational groups, doesn't tell you anything useful. You have to control for the work performed, not just the worker. My quote from your source supports that. Here is it again:

You have to control for occupation.

But the 6% depression of the private sector wages occurred under The Obama, or are you blaming Bush for that too?

You quote proves my claim. The highly skilled fed workers get market wages (plus boku benefits and retirement, as I stated previously). The low skilled fed workers get higher pay outright.

Its the economy, retard.

Whatever man...whatever.

Hey...while you're at it...you should try and blame Obama for the dismal season the Baltimore Orioles are having...he's just as responsible for their inability to win as he is for what the private sector pays their employees.

Whatever man...whatever.

Hey...while you're at it...you should try and blame Obama for the dismal season the Baltimore Orioles are having...he's just as responsible for their inability to win as he is for what the private sector pays their employees.
So you don't think your beloved Democrats, in complete control over the federal government, have anything to do with the shitty economy? :)

So you don't think your beloved Democrats, in complete control over the federal government, have anything to do with the shitty economy? :)

As so many here like to point out...we live in a FREE MARKET society...so for anyone to blame Obama for wage losses initiated by the Owner/Operators of thousands of PRIVATE SECTOR businesses across this nation is ridiculous.

Back