Fixing Granny's house

The UF is water proof, is usually grey, comes in a cable and has two 'hots' and one 'neutral'. A #8 or #6 would be adequate for a 60 Amp sub panel. I would guess it would have 10 spaces. 15 amp Breakers for lighting, 20 amp Breakers for Power tools, double Breaker for an ac unit.

Good Luck with the Project. I'm going to bed. Later.

If the first shed works out, with the cellar, I plan on building a second identical shed, 10 feet from the first one.

The 10 feet separation is a building code.

Then I might just connect the two sheds, with a 10 foot long, 4 feet wide, and 8 foot deep underground passage.
Concrete floor, block sides, and a concrete ceiling; which would then be covered with dirt.

This is something like I intend to use for my roof truss pattern:

ef6afb618848a825a961711600e6333d.jpg

I'm going to use a ridge beam, under the top of the trusses and the height will be around 7 foot from the loft floor to the ridge beam.

I just haven't decided if I'm going to have the trusses span the 10 foot side or the 12 foot side.

I'm going to extend the ridge beam out of a loft door, so I can use a hoist to get smaller stuff up to the loft.

Last edited:
"Years ago we went and looked a really large Dome Home, that was built in Ahwatukee .
Half the house was underground and they piled the dirt on top of the part above ground.
Sealed it and planted grass, so it looked like a big ole hill.
Walk inside and you couldn't hear any noise from the outside."

That and the constant temperature (68 degrees ?) is the Big Draw. Getting sufficient natural light to rooms is a problem, along with a moisture problem, or so I hear. My understanding is these homes are built with concrete. With MASSIVE attention to moisture problems! Solar orientation is also a major concern. Building it like a Thermos Bottle and facing it South is great if you live up North, not so much if you live in the South.

The Dome Home was built with wood; but the surface was covered with a "thin" layer of concrete that had grooves built into it, to hold the soil and avoid having it "slew off" if it got wet, then the soil was added, and was layered on top, and the grass was planted.

Here you go Dark Soul:

"As a civil engineer, I too am interested in the Hoover dam. I do not know how much rebar was used in the project. I do know that since the structure was a simple gravity dam, no rebar was necessary in the "dam". There are no tensile stresses in that structure. I am sure rebar was used in other structures. But NONE in the dam for structural puposes.

The only reason there is any steel in the structure is to pipe water to cool the mass since concrete curing is an exothermic reaction.

Rebar is used for beams, where there is a tension zone. The rebar provides the tension, the concrete provides the compression and poof, we have a beam.

The dam is no beam. The dam needs no rebar.
Source(s):
Registered Professional Engineer"
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061024220840AAKv3pQ

Hmmmmm.... So one "expert" claims it is a sideways arch, which would use the side walls of the canyon to keep it from being pushed downstream, and the internet "expert" claims it is a gravity dam, which would relay solely on its great mass to prevent from tipping over.

Again I ax what you believe.

:evilnod:

If the first shed works out, with the cellar, I plan on building a second identical shed, 10 feet from the first one.

The 10 feet separation is a building code.

Then I might just connect the two sheds, with a 10 foot long, 4 feet wide, and 8 foot deep underground passage.
Concrete floor, block sides, and a concrete ceiling; which would then be covered with dirt.

This is something like I intend to use for my roof truss pattern:

ef6afb618848a825a961711600e6333d.jpg

I'm going to use a ridge beam, under the top of the trusses and the height will be around 7 foot from the loft floor to the ridge beam.

I just haven't decided if I'm going to have the trusses span the 10 foot side or the 12 foot side.

I'm going to extend the ridge beam out of a loft door, so I can use a hoist to get smaller stuff up to the loft.

Looks like you've found a reliable source of information along with Plans that others have already used. That's always a plus.
How do you plan to enter the Loft? Stairs take up a huge amount of space. Ladder? (old people have a hard time with ladders)

The Dome Home was built with wood; but the surface was covered with a "thin" layer of concrete that had grooves built into it, to hold the soil and avoid having it "slew off" if it got wet, then the soil was added, and was layered on top, and the grass was planted.

I like the idea of an Underground Home and the near constant interior temperature, especially if you live in an extreme climate like the Phoenix area. I don't know anything about building with wood, thin layer of concrete, grass. I would go visit the place (or call an Owner) to see how it's holding up to any moisture problem.

Hmmmmm.... So one "expert" claims it is a sideways arch, which would use the side walls of the canyon to keep it from being pushed downstream, and the internet "expert" claims it is a gravity dam, which would relay solely on its great mass to prevent from tipping over.

Again I ax what you believe.

:evilnod:

I believe ... you have never entered an Engineering Building. Maybe you have rode by one on a bicycle.

1. The quality of concrete is 'compression'.
2. The quality of steel is 'tension'.

Read what the Civil Engineer wrote:
"Rebar is used for beams, where there is a tension zone. The rebar provides the tension, the concrete provides the compression and poof, we have a beam."

Do YOU understand the concept of 'mixing' the two materials? You do THAT to 'make' a beam, a load bearing device.

Another observation from the Civil Engineer:
"The dam is no beam. The dam needs no rebar."

Did YOU understand THAT? The design engineers created an 'arch' (NOT a beam) to support the Load (the water).

Civil Engineer:
"There are no tensile stresses in that structure. I am sure rebar was used in other structures. But NONE in the dam for structural purposes."

Did YOU follow that? The Load (the water) is trying to 'compress' the Dam, NOT stretch or bend (tension) the Dam.

Don't EVER say you are an 'Engineer'. (Rod Busters and Cement Finishers know this, this is basic shit)

I believe ... you have never entered an Engineering Building. Maybe you have rode by one on a bicycle.

1. The quality of concrete is 'compression'.
2. The quality of steel is 'tension'.

Read what the Civil Engineer wrote:
"Rebar is used for beams, where there is a tension zone. The rebar provides the tension, the concrete provides the compression and poof, we have a beam."

Do YOU understand the concept of 'mixing' the two materials? You do THAT to 'make' a beam, a load bearing device.

Another observation from the Civil Engineer:
"The dam is no beam. The dam needs no rebar."

Did YOU understand THAT? The design engineers created an 'arch' (NOT a beam) to support the Load (the water).

Civil Engineer:
"There are no tensile stresses in that structure. I am sure rebar was used in other structures. But NONE in the dam for structural purposes."

Did YOU follow that? The Load (the water) is trying to 'compress' the Dam, NOT stretch or bend (tension) the Dam.

Don't EVER say you are an 'Engineer'. (Rod Busters and Cement Finishers know this, this is basic shit)

This is the second time that you have attempted to avoid my question. Now you're panicking and insulting me, hoping I will take the bait.

Man up and answer.

This is the second time that you have attempted to avoid my question. Now you're panicking and insulting me, hoping I will take the bait.

Man up and answer.

hahahahahahahaha .... I'll take the Tour Guides answer. He said there was no rebar used in the Dam. It surprised me. But I know a little about 'concrete', so his answer made sense.
YOU, ... have ZERO knowledge of Design/Engineering. Just the fact of you questioning the feasibility of solely using concrete without steel reinforcing SCREAMS your ignorance on the subject.

My initial question to you about the elevation of the Sewer Drain and the elevation of the proposed House Drain to ensure there is a 'fall' (like 1/8" per foot) went unanswered. I'm beginning to think renting a Transit would be a waste of time, I doubt you know how to set it up much less actually use it.

Nice talking to you, DS. Good Luck on the Project.

Looks like you've found a reliable source of information along with Plans that others have already used. That's always a plus.
How do you plan to enter the Loft? Stairs take up a huge amount of space. Ladder? (old people have a hard time with ladders)

Going to use stairs that make a 90 degree turn with a landing part way up.

Same as going into the cellar part.

They'll be under / over each other.

I like the idea of an Underground Home and the near constant interior temperature, especially if you live in an extreme climate like the Phoenix area. I don't know anything about building with wood, thin layer of concrete, grass. I would go visit the place (or call an Owner) to see how it's holding up to any moisture problem.

We've done some internet search's and apparently it's holding up really good; but then we don't get month's of rain like other parts of the country.

hahahahahahahaha .... I'll take the Tour Guides answer. He said there was no rebar used in the Dam. It surprised me. But I know a little about 'concrete', so his answer made sense.
YOU, ... have ZERO knowledge of Design/Engineering. Just the fact of you questioning the feasibility of solely using concrete without steel reinforcing SCREAMS your ignorance on the subject.

My initial question to you about the elevation of the Sewer Drain and the elevation of the proposed House Drain to ensure there is a 'fall' (like 1/8" per foot) went unanswered. I'm beginning to think renting a Transit would be a waste of time, I doubt you know how to set it up much less actually use it.

Nice talking to you, DS. Good Luck on the Project.

Of course the Hoover Dam has reinforcing steel in it. 45 million pounds of it. The answer why is obvious to anyone with a civil engineering degree and bothered to take concrete design (a curriculum option). Obviously the guy that you cited never did.

Here's a photo of a small portion of it:

lossy-page1-1200px-Detail_of_reinforcement_and_formwork_in_panel_of_overflow_weir%2C_Nevada_spillway%2C_as_seen_from_parapet_of_channel..._-_NARA_-_293944.tif.jpg

And the original source of the photo (National Archives): https://catalog.archives.gov/id/293944

You got your pants pulled down on this one, Jack.

:wellplayed:

Here, you left this out:
"Detail of reinforcement and formwork in panel of overflow weir, Nevada spillway, as seen from parapet of channel lining."

Of course the Hoover Dam has reinforcing steel in it. 45 million pounds of it. The answer why is obvious to anyone with a civil engineering degree and bothered to take concrete design (a curriculum option). Obviously the guy that you cited never did.

Here's a photo of a small portion of it:

lossy-page1-1200px-Detail_of_reinforcement_and_formwork_in_panel_of_overflow_weir%2C_Nevada_spillway%2C_as_seen_from_parapet_of_channel..._-_NARA_-_293944.tif.jpg

And the original source of the photo (National Archives): https://catalog.archives.gov/id/293944

You got your pants pulled down on this one, Jack.

:wellplayed:

Back