From Bud Light to Nike, Brands Are Facing Conservative Backlash for Featuring Trans

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
Interesting....please explain what was this "hard turn to the Left politically" byt the NFL and NBA that was detrimental financially and fan wise.

The Woke NFL is Determined to Drive Away More Fan
https://www.newsweek.com/woke-nfl-determined-drive-away-more-fans-opinion-1626727

Confirmed: NFL Losing Millions Of TV Viewers Because Of National Anthem Protests
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...-of-national-anthem-protests/?sh=5f964e6226c2

Why the NFL is Losing Popularity, and No it’s Not Just National Anthem Protests
https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/nfl/nfl-is-losing-popularity/

The NFL Just Assured Itself of a Ratings Drop Before the Season Even Begins
https://www.sportscasting.com/the-n...a-ratings-drop-before-the-season-even-begins/

New poll says NBA ratings have plunged because of racial justice protests
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...oll-says-nba-ratings-have-plunged-because-of/

Go Woke, Go Broke? NBA Reportedly Facing Billions in Losses, Steep Decline in Player Salaries
https://www.westernjournal.com/go-w...illions-losses-steep-decline-player-salaries/

NBA ratings continue to drop as fans abandon the league that's abandoned them
https://thepostmillennial.com/nba-r...-fans-abandon-the-league-thats-abandoned-them

Let's see: you rely heavily on "opinion" pieces that favor the MAGA mentality that reacted to Kapernick's initial protest ... referring to the national spotlight of the consistent rash of innocent or misdemeanor offending black folk being killed by the police as "weaponizing" the issue. :rolleyes: But as usual, careful analysis of ALL the factors tell a different story.

TV ratings down, team revenues up: have protests really hurt the NFL?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/20/nfl-anthem-protests-revenue-tv-ratings-attendance

Why the NFL is Losing Popularity, and No it’s Not Just National Anthem Protests

https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/nfl/nfl-is-losing-popularity/

And then there's this gem from some of your less opinionated hyped articles:

Nearly 40 percent of respondents in a new Harris poll said they were watching less basketball because “the league has become too political.”
But ratings had dropped even before the NBA took a hiatus in March and have grown since the league resumed play.
Still, the league has been facing declining viewership over recent years.

... “There is no proper context to compare the current NBA viewership post-COVID to any regular season,” Tom McGovern, president of Omnicom Group’s sports media division Optimum Sports, told Variety. “You’ve got an increased number of broadcast windows and start times that are an anomaly for this current season. The number of windows alone is going to dilute your average rating, you’ll have no West Coast prime time.”

... Even before the coronavirus pandemic reached the United States and George Floyd’s death inspired protests across the nation, the NBA was in trouble. National television viewership had fallen 12 percent in February since the end of the season compared to the 2018-19 season, according to a report from Sports Business Daily.

... While it may be smaller than previous years, the NBA has seen about an 80 percent larger prime-time audience since its July 30 restart than it did prior to suspending its season on March 11, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of Nielsen data. And the poll found that those watching less basketball — 39 percent — are still in the minority: 32 percent of fans are actually consuming more basketball this summer, while 28 percent are watching the same amount.

https://thehill.com/changing-americ...oll-says-nba-ratings-have-plunged-because-of/

'nuff said.

Cherry picking and ad hominem on your part doesn't change that the NFL and NBA are losing viewers and revenue. It is obvious that some portion of that is due to their involvement in politics. Some of it is due to changing interests of people, and other reasons. But the argument that both the NFL and NBA took a hit over their politics is irrefutable.

Cherry picking and ad hominem on your part doesn't change that the NFL and NBA are losing viewers and revenue. It is obvious that some portion of that is due to their involvement in politics. Some of it is due to changing interests of people, and other reasons. But the argument that both the NFL and NBA took a hit over their politics is irrefutable.

:palm: First off, get your terminology straight:

ad hominem - (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining. (Oxford Languages dictionary)

the two articles I linked discussed a topic and did not attack a particular person or you. They are just another person's analysis that incorporated facts and opinions contrary to what you believe.

The quotes I used from some of your articles were not "out of context" ... they were part of the articles that concluded that the Kapernick situation was only a PART of the reason for the decline in the sports viewership and such. Your initial contention, as the chronology of the posts shows, was that Kapernick and such was the major cause of NFL & NBA problems. Outside of the blatantly biased opinion pieces, yours and mine sources show that is NOT the case.

ad hominem - (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining. (Oxford Languages dictionary)

the two articles I linked discussed a topic and did not attack a particular person or you. They are just another person's analysis that incorporated facts and opinions contrary to what you believe.

The quotes I used from some of your articles were not "out of context" ... they were part of the articles that concluded that the Kapernick situation was only a PART of the reason for the decline in the sports viewership and such. Your initial contention, as the chronology of the posts shows, was that Kapernick and such was the major cause of NFL & NBA problems. Outside of the blatantly biased opinion pieces, yours and mine sources show that is NOT the case.

Ad hominem literally means "At the man." It is dismissing someone's argument by insulting it, and them.

you rely heavily on "opinion" pieces that favor the MAGA mentality

That is ad hominem.

You did use out of context, because your rebuttal tried to show that the NFL and NBA weren't being hurt by their politics when even what you used showed they were. I never stated that "Kapernick and such was the major cause," but rather that they were a cause, and a serious one. They weren't so minor deflection.

As to "opinion" pieces, any news article is an opinion piece. So long as the writer is supporting their position with evidence and facts, it is a relevant and useful article. Your use of quotes and rhetoric to dismiss these as meaningless is more ad hominem aimed both at me and the writer. Refute the articles.

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
First off, get your terminology straight:

Ad hominem literally means "At the man." It is dismissing someone's argument by insulting it, and them.

you rely heavily on "opinion" pieces that favor the MAGA mentality

That is ad hominem.

You did use out of context, because your rebuttal tried to show that the NFL and NBA weren't being hurt by their politics when even what you used showed they were. I never stated that "Kapernick and such was the major cause," but rather that they were a cause, and a serious one. They weren't so minor deflection.

As to "opinion" pieces, any news article is an opinion piece. So long as the writer is supporting their position with evidence and facts, it is a relevant and useful article. Your use of quotes and rhetoric to dismiss these as meaningless is more ad hominem aimed both at me and the writer. Refute the articles.

:palm: GTFU, would you please? I gave a dictionary definition ... while you juxtapose a moot point and your version with a translation which is NOT the conclusive, definitive explanation as used in current English language.

Pointing out that some of your OPINION PIECE articles are apt reflections of those sentiments on record in the media ("get that sonofabitch off the field right now! OUT! He's fired!") is an observation of FACT, NOT an opinion laden attack. TFB if you can't take the truth.

And stop being a stubborn ass: I produced FACTS that showed that the Kapernick induced political discourse WAS NOT THE MAIN cause for the financial woes of set sports groups. YOU falsely keep insisting otherwise....which is a lie on your part as the chronology of the post shows TO THOSE WHO READ CAREFULLY AND COMPREHENSIVELY.

And like it or not, there is a difference between "opinion pieces", "straight news", "feature news", etc. Thats why some of your links were labeled OPINION....they did that, not me.

See, your problem is that your prideful bias lends to these flights of fantasy that have no bearing on the actual content of the material being discussed. You can repeat your accusations six ways to Sunday....logically and factually proving them is another matter. Carry on.

Last edited:
This is about as simple as I can make it. Maybe you'll get it

ad-hominem-examples.png

...you rely heavily on "opinion" pieces that favor the MAGA mentality...

THAT is ad hominem. You claim they're opinion pieces which is actually irrelevant, then you claim they favor "the MAGA mentality" whatever that means. In that statement you insult me and my choices of evidence without ever addressing what you claim. That is, you dismiss my argument without giving any sort of proof or evidence.

Why They're Sticking to Their Decisions

Major brands are now increasingly partnering with transgender actors and influencers in their ad campaigns, with massive support from the LGBTQ community and its allies. Brands like Bud Light and Nike, however, have come under fire for featuring trans influencers like Dylan Mulvaney in the face of growing anti-trans hate and legislation.

Despite often being the targets of criticism from online trolls and conservative public figures, advertising shows no sign of slowing down in trans representation and continues to symbolize allyship.

“Including our community in marketing is nothing new, but what is new is the extreme right-wing politicization of a company’s creative and business decisions,” Sarah Kate Ellis, president of the NGO Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLADD), said in a statement to TIME. “Companies will not end the standard business practice of including diverse people in ads and marketing because a small number of loud, fringe of anti-LGBTQ activists make noise on social media.”

“Brands know that LGBTQ inclusion is good for business. It reaches our community and also reaches the growing number of consumers who want to see their LGBTQ friends and family members in ads and campaigns,” Ellis said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f...k?cvid=d12afd856cd04f4b8cdd23c25fef36e7&ei=28

Is that why Anheuser-Busch has LOST $6 BILLION because of it's adherence to the Church of Perversion?

Incorrect. Learn some Latin. Dictionaries do not define any word.
Lie. You did attack him. Ad hominem fallacy.
Compositional error fallacy.

Attempted proof by negation (a fallacy).

:palm: GTFU, would you please? I gave a dictionary definition
False authority fallacy. Dictionaries do not define any word. That is not the purpose of dictionaries. Learn Latin.
... while you juxtapose a moot point and your version with a translation which is NOT the conclusive, definitive explanation as used in current English language.
English is not Latin.
Pointing out that some of your OPINION PIECE articles are apt reflections of those sentiments on record in the media ("get that sonofabitch off the field right now! OUT! He's fired!") is an observation of FACT, NOT an opinion laden attack. TFB if you can't take the truth.
Buzzword fallacies. Learn what 'fact' means. It does NOT mean 'proof' or 'Universal Truth'. Ad hominem fallacy.
And stop being a stubborn ass: I produced FACTS
Buzzword fallacy. Attempted proof by buzzword.
that showed that the Kapernick induced political discourse WAS NOT THE MAIN cause for the financial woes of set sports groups. YOU falsely keep insisting otherwise....which is a lie on your part as the chronology of the post shows TO THOSE WHO READ CAREFULLY AND COMPREHENSIVELY.
Ad hominem fallacy. Compositional error fallacy. Attempted proof by negation.
And like it or not, there is a difference between "opinion pieces", "straight news", "feature news", etc. Thats why some of your links were labeled OPINION....they did that, not me.
All news is biased. Divisional error fallacy.
See, your problem is that your prideful bias lends to these flights of fantasy that have no bearing on the actual content of the material being discussed. You can repeat your accusations six ways to Sunday....logically and factually proving them is another matter. Carry on.
Ad hominem fallacy. Fallacy fallacies. False dichotomy fallacy. Attempted proof by negation.

Brands know that LGBTQ inclusion is good for business.
I honestly neither know nor care whether this is true or not. I suppose that it could be true.

The real issue to me is how the "small government," "freedom loving" conservatives love to stick their noses in other people's business.
These reactionaries are really, seriously, egregiously, and shamelessly all assholes.
I honestly and truly don't understand how they can live like that.

They're seriously broken, both intellectually and morally, and they're dragging our republic down with them.

I admit to completely not understanding the transgendered community, but why the fuck would they bother me?
How big a part do they play in my life, whether I understand them or not,
and when they do appear, how are they hurting me?

I suppose people are entitled to boycott whatever businesses they want,
but they're obviously not concentrating very much on relevant issues.

These bigoted people think that they're less mentally damaged than are people uncomfortable with their birth-assigned genders?
On the basis of who cause the most most problems, they're definitely more damaged... by far.

Last edited:
In this case, the LGBTQI+ "influencer" isn't working out too well... and someone didn't check with the big bosses to get approval.... Nike isn't getting much love for this one either...women are unhappy....especially the ones who got docked for being pregnant...

In this case, the LGBTQI+ "influencer" isn't working out too well... and someone didn't check with the big bosses to get approval.... Nike isn't getting much love for this one either...women are unhappy....especially the ones who got docked for being pregnant...
It's never a good idea to mock women...or March Madness...;)

When the beer drinkers get the "beer goggles" on, these transgenders become a concern. Poor choice in advertising.

Why is acceptance of how another human being presents a "political" thing? Don't answer; we know why. It's because bigots and haters and the fearful and weak have tried to turn it into a political issue.

History is against you. You will lose on this issue just as you lost on the racial discrimination issue, the same sex marriage issue, and the women's rights issue.

It is because the Republicans have no positions they can say they are 'for' in politics other than 'tax cuts for the rich', 'more profits and less regulations for corporations', and 'endless money in politics and more guns'.

that is why you saw Trump and the GOP push three different versions of the 'BROWN MENACE...only we can protect you', in the last few elections.

2016 GE : BROWN MENANCE, Mexicans, not bringing their best... only we can protect you!

2018 MT : BROWN MENACE, Caravans, rapists... only we can protect you!

2020 GE : BROWN MENACE, Antifa, trying to move in to your neighborhood... only we can protect you!

The problem they had though, is that while screaming 'BROWN MENACE' helps with the base, it turns off huge blocks of POC voters and many white ones too, thus why increasingly the GOP cannot win a popular vote.

In Trans Kids, they can invoke the MENACE threat but in a group that is meaningless to voting trends. They are all-in hoping this attack on 'others' is one they have found that will excite their derp bigoted base while not costing them votes with other voting groups.

Only conservatives think corporations, who cater to the public, only recently started paying attention to their target market, current and future, and did not try to pander them.

It is astoundingly stupid to think this is new or novel.

i once did a very quick breakdown to a guy complaining about all Hollywood movies being 'woke' and why he was 'refusing to go to movies' any more. he was, of course, a white male.

~99% of Hollywood movies throughout the history of Hollywood have been 'woke' but that wokeness was directly mainly at white males as the main buyers. You can see that in any scan of historical movies, no matter how you choose to sift them. Start with the quantity of roles going to white men, including them playing POC. Add to that, how even if dumpy, they mostly had a hot, eye cady wife. that is to play to the ego of white males.

Then go on to the White Saviours roles. they are dropped into the uncivilized (Damon in China, Costner, Natives, Daniel Day Lewis, Natives, etc), to 'save the savages'. And on and on and on.

White males do not recognize they were being pandered to as it is hard to see it when that is your norm. But as soon as another group gets that same benefit, even marginally, they scream 'woke' and get offended.

The person i was talking to said 'ya but it is all woke now' and I made an Av and Sig bet with him over it and won when we pulled up a list of every single movie released that year and looked at all the Lead and Co lead actors and it was STILL 90% white males.

So the 'woke' that offended him was the 10% women and POC. that change from the prior 1% is something he could not deal with. BUt Hollywood always looks out at their audience and panders. More POC buying. They will get more. More Chinese buying. They will get more.

Sorry to the white males who are offended by that, as they think 'ONLY I SHOULD BE PANDERED TO', but the corporations will always follow the money trends, short and long term.

It is because the Republicans have no positions they can say they are 'for' in politics other than 'tax cuts for the rich', 'more profits and less regulations for corporations', and 'endless money in politics and more guns'.

that is why you saw Trump and the GOP push three different versions of the 'BROWN MENACE...only we can protect you', in the last few elections.

2016 GE : BROWN MENANCE, Mexicans, not bringing their best... only we can protect you!

2018 MT : BROWN MENACE, Caravans, rapists... only we can protect you!

2020 GE : BROWN MENACE, Antifa, trying to move in to your neighborhood... only we can protect you!

The problem they had though, is that while screaming 'BROWN MENACE' helps with the base, it turns off huge blocks of POC voters and many white ones too, thus why increasingly the GOP cannot win a popular vote.

In Trans Kids, they can invoke the MENACE threat but in a group that is meaningless to voting trends. They are all-in hoping this attack on 'others' is one they have found that will excite their derp bigoted base while not costing them votes with other voting groups.

I think that last sentence illustrates just what is going on, and why it will fail. People are sick to death of the division, bigotry, hate that the RW promotes. In particular young ppl are far more accepting and open-minded, and are turned off by that rhetoric. They understand that accepting that LGBTQ ppl pose no threat to themselves or to children, and they know that merely being who you are is not shoving some agenda down someone's throat.

We should set up a poll here. I bet you very few, if any, of these Jethros hopping up and down and screeching about trans ppl even know one in real life. (I'd also bet that if there are any trans ppl in their family or circle, they are aware of the bigotry and keep quiet.) But to hear the Reichwingers on this forum and other social media venues talk, they're as common and in-your-face as the Hare Krishnas used to be at airports.

It's never a good idea to mock women...or March Madness...;)

So why do you spend so much time doing exactly that, tramp? Why do you put thanks on posts that do exactly that, Slutinsky? Oops!

Back