Garden...

Pretty guy visiting some chive blossoms today.

Nk2wekY.jpg

Pretty guy visiting some chive blossoms today.

Nk2wekY.jpg

Just planted some horseradish roots. Tomorrow I have red carrots, and beets to plant. I had to forget all the beans, and longer growing season stuff, since my issues postponed planting though. I might be able to do some cucumbers though, I'm not sure. They had a sale at the Home Depot, so Mom just bought starter plants of peppers, and tomatoes.

Just planted some horseradish roots. Tomorrow I have red carrots, and beets to plant. I had to forget all the beans, and longer growing season stuff, since my issues postponed planting though. I might be able to do some cucumbers though, I'm not sure. They had a sale at the Home Depot, so Mom just bought starter plants of peppers, and tomatoes.

Good luck. That's a horseradish to the left of the chives there. I had two others, outside the fenced area, but the deer chopped their little heads right off. I also have a conundrum! Last fall a friend in Alaska sent me a small collection of some awesome heirloom potatoes, including a purple one. I planted them and mulched them well. Nothing seemed to come up once it was spring. I dug around and couldn't find them, thought they maybe rotted. So planted cabbages there instead. So guess who's coming up now? Oy vey!

Hope your stuff does okay.

Picked peaches off one tree yesterday. Nearly a bushel. Canned peaches this evening. My boy and my wife peeled and I stuffed jars and processed. We’ve kept several to eat as well. Our Indian peaches should be ready mid-July. We have two trees of those.

Awesome, not heard of an Indian variety???

Against my better judgement I am going to plant some squash-winter-Butternut, Spaghetti & a few zucchini.......

Way late but our season is about 7 months, give or take..

Picked peaches off one tree yesterday. Nearly a bushel. Canned peaches this evening. My boy and my wife peeled and I stuffed jars and processed. We’ve kept several to eat as well. Our Indian peaches should be ready mid-July. We have two trees of those.

What are Indian peaches?

Here’s a link... https://www.slowfoodusa.org/ark-item/indian-blood-peach

They are a slower growing, heartier cling variety peach. They produce a little later which makes them less apt to get zapped by a late frost in the spring. My trees are volunteers given to me by a lady at church. She also gives peaches away every year.

They sound amazing, and they grow true from the stones, it said. Do you think they'd make it up here? We are climate zone 5b because of the proximity to the Lake; the inland parts of the UP are 3 or 4.

Against my better judgement I am going to plant some squash-winter-Butternut, Spaghetti & a few zucchini.......

Good luck! I haven't had any luck with winter squash, even in the greenhouse. Too cool here, I guess.

I have spaghetti squash planted right next to my yellow and white squash. We eat quite a bit of spaghetti squash.

They sound amazing, and they grow true from the stones, it said. Do you think they'd make it up here? We are climate zone 5b because of the proximity to the Lake; the inland parts of the UP are 3 or 4.

I’m going with a strong “probably.” I copied this from the Rolling River nursery site:

A unique and delicious heirloom with a rich tart flavor that sweetens when fully ripe. Tree is curl resistant and needs pollinating by any other Peach except JH Hale. Hardiness zones 5-9. Requires approximately 800 chill hours.

They really are good. They look great in the jar when canned in light syrup (how I do them) and they make a very pretty jar of jam.

106k65l.jpg

They’re not as pretty in a cobbler but are every bit as tasty as yellow varieties.

Last edited:
I’m going with a strong “probably.” I copied this from the Rolling River nursery site:

They really are good. They look great in the jar when canned in light syrup (how I do them) and they make a very pretty jar of jam.

They’re not as pretty in a cobbler but are every bit as tasty as yellow varieties.

Would it be too much to ask if you could send me a few pits? Of course I'll pay for postage and your time!

106k65l.jpg

Red??

Back