Garden...

This is not my garden!

St. Louis is pretty much a hellhole, but it does have a few redeeming things. One of them is the amazing and world-renowned Missouri Botanical Garden. People come from across the planet to visit it. In fact, as we were leaving the other day we saw a tour group of young Japanese students arriving. It's beautiful any time of year, but spring is special!

geKm111.jpg

Never been much of a gardener as in fruits and vegetables but do like flowers and plants.

While my favorites are tulips, gerbera daisies and many other beautiful plants which can't tolerate deadly heat, I recently planted some variegated purple/white and purple petunias, marigolds, celosia, lilies, kalanchoes in several colors, dusty rose, purple and red salvia (separate, of course, lol). I also have banana trees, elephant ears, bromeliads, angel trumpets, confederate jasmine and a huge birds of paradise, it's actually 3 plants together. Those bloom in late summer to "fall" here. I planted a crape myrtle recently, one of the larger Natchez varieties, and bought two perennial red hibiscus trees this weekend. Being in hot climates is limiting as I'd like to have things like lavender but can't ever get it to grow.

Like clothes shopping, plants can become addictive.

Got home from KY last Friday. The bugs are about to carry my garden off. Squash bugs all over my squash plants, some little iridescent green-back bug sucking the sap (and thus the life) out of my cucumbers, ants invading my okra...it’s the invasion of the insects! Oh, and the rabbits had eaten about 1/4 of my green beans.

I dispatched the rabbit with my Ruger Airhawk pellet gun yesterday morning before going to church and have a jar with a little gasoline in it and have started picking the bugs off my squash plants and have used some liquid Sevin on my cucumbers (its several weeks before they start bearing).

IT’S FARGIN WAR!!!

So how did it turn out??? I often grow squash, usually butternut & spaghetti squash & one or two zucchini & crooknecks & have not had those but have had the cabbage variety-stink bugs, harlequin bugs..

Could not get rid of them & they would go on flowers or anything they could find once I pulled out the kale they were feasting on...... (It was my own fault, it was growing so high I wanted to see how high, it went over 6ft but by then it was mid summer & the bugs flourished)..

So how did it turn out??? I often grow squash, usually butternut & spaghetti squash & one or two zucchini & crooknecks & have not had those but have had the cabbage variety-stink bugs, harlequin bugs..

Could not get rid of them & they would go on flowers or anything they could find once I pulled out the kale they were feasting on...... (It was my own fault, it was growing so high I wanted to see how high, it went over 6ft but by then it was mid summer & the bugs flourished)..

It worked out ok. I picked the squash bugs off and eventually the squash made a comeback and the green beans made enough for me to can 35 quarts. While the cucumbers didn’t do as well as they normally do and though I finally had to resort to one round of Liquid Sevin and wait a couple weeks before keeping any cucumbers, I was able to can my desired amount of pickles. I just didn’t have any cucumbers to give away.

Got the garden started and am ready to go at it again this season. We’ll see how it goes.

You really are some fancy gardener, huh. I've grown tomatoes before but that's about it.

Never been much of a gardener as in fruits and vegetables but do like flowers and plants.

While my favorites are tulips, gerbera daisies and many other beautiful plants which can't tolerate deadly heat, I recently planted some variegated purple/white and purple petunias, marigolds, celosia, lilies, kalanchoes in several colors, dusty rose, purple and red salvia (separate, of course, lol). I also have banana trees, elephant ears, bromeliads, angel trumpets, confederate jasmine and a huge birds of paradise, it's actually 3 plants together. Those bloom in late summer to "fall" here. I planted a crape myrtle recently, one of the larger Natchez varieties, and bought two perennial red hibiscus trees this weekend. Being in hot climates is limiting as I'd like to have things like lavender but can't ever get it to grow.

I bought these tulip bulbs online last fall, planted them and forgot about them. They are so beautiful in person.

View attachment 9727

It worked out ok. I picked the squash bugs off and eventually the squash made a comeback and the green beans made enough for me to can 35 quarts. While the cucumbers didn’t do as well as they normally do and though I finally had to resort to one round of Liquid Sevin and wait a couple weeks before keeping any cucumbers, I was able to can my desired amount of pickles. I just didn’t have any cucumbers to give away.

Got the garden started and am ready to go at it again this season. We’ll see how it goes.

Good luck.. If can catch them early perhaps you can keep them @ bay...

You really are some fancy gardener, huh. I've grown tomatoes before but that's about it.

It is kinda therapeutic...

One of my daughters has done very well her first year...

I have started doing flowers, mostly sunflowers for birds, bees & butterflies...

Holy moly! Pls post some pics of all this wonderful beauty!

They're zoned 3-8. I got them from Holland Bulbs.

I think LiG is in Zone 213 or something. lol We have too many varmints here to even try tulips. Mice, chipmunks, voles, squirrels. Our first fall Mr. Owl helped me plant 50 daffodil bulbs along the verge between forest and lawn. There are only a few left. So much for the rumor that they're toxic!

It is kinda therapeutic...

One of my daughters has done very well her first year...

I have started doing flowers, mostly sunflowers for birds, bees & butterflies...

Do you have a hard time getting plants there due to California's stringent regulations? I often see in plant catalogs that they can't ship to certain states.

I think LiG is in Zone 213 or something. lol We have too many varmints here to even try tulips. Mice, chipmunks, voles, squirrels. Our first fall Mr. Owl helped me plant 50 daffodil bulbs along the verge between forest and lawn. There are only a few left. So much for the rumor that they're toxic!

Did you check your surroundings for dead bodies, lol?

I just looked it up and it says my county is 8b/9a, whatever that means. lol

Can you grow lavender there?

Back