Garden...

I just looked it up and it says my county is 8b/9a, whatever that means. lol

Can you grow lavender there?

No, it's not winter-hardy. I would love to grow it though. I suppose I could treat it like I do the ginormous rosemary and bring it in in the fall? I bet it's one of the deer-resistant perennials, wouldn't you think, given the oils, texture, and fragrance?

No, it's not winter-hardy. I would love to grow it though. I suppose I could treat it like I do the ginormous rosemary and bring it in in the fall? I bet it's one of the deer-resistant perennials, wouldn't you think, given the oils, texture, and fragrance?
I wonder where it grows best. I tried some once and it died, as I remember it's very sensitive to water. Idk but it smells wonderful.....

I think LiG is in Zone 213 or something. lol We have too many varmints here to even try tulips. Mice, chipmunks, voles, squirrels. Our first fall Mr. Owl helped me plant 50 daffodil bulbs along the verge between forest and lawn. There are only a few left. So much for the rumor that they're toxic!

You can always put out hot pepper powder around the plant site. They won't be able to smell them over the powder, and they won't want near the area. I assume you might need to reapply after awhile.

You can always put out hot pepper powder around the plant site. They won't be able to smell them over the powder, and they won't want near the area. I assume you might need to reapply after awhile.

Yeah, around here every day since it seems to rain almost every day in the summer. The deer don't bother my herbs which aren't in the fenced area. But they ate our big beautiful hostas down to the ground last year. *sob*

Water...water...water! My garden needs some sunshine. We’ve had so much water I’m behind on my planting and between the water and rabbits what I have planted is doing miserably. Not to mention the tornado that left my yard in shambles...thankful the house was unharmed. Gonna be late making this year but I plan to stay after it. Hope everyone else is getting a better start this spring.

Water...water...water! My garden needs some sunshine. We’ve had so much water I’m behind on my planting and between the water and rabbits what I have planted is doing miserably. Not to mention the tornado that left my yard in shambles...thankful the house was unharmed. Gonna be late making this year but I plan to stay after it. Hope everyone else is getting a better start this spring.

Hang in their Bro... I gave up planting early.. Plants will thrive through the clouds, although a tornado or two can send those plantings to Kansas.........:thinking:

A little garden report. It’s in the background. It’s a pic I took to make a post with religious implications on Facebook. My poor garden has had a rough go of it this Spring. Tornado, hail, debris, rabbits (I found some stuff that keeps them away but you gotta sprinkle it every time you hoe or till) and wayyyy too much rain. But it is trying to be resilient. Hopefully it will make a good comeback but I won’t have as much planted this summer as I usually do. I’ve run out of time and the wife is ready to travel.

i41wco.jpg

On a related note, if I lived closer to ThatOwlWoman or some of the other garden raisers I’d share some tomato plants with you. These are some I started from seed. I’ve planted 30, given away about 50 and still have these. All from one Arkansas Traveler tomato from last year. I still need to plant some squash, okra and will plant some Whippoorwill peas later in the summer.

20rrzgz.jpg

These can grow in rock, almost no soil, roots go down into the cracks, 8,000-10,000 ft above sea level, up to around 3,000 years old. Ppl use them for Bonsai trees all over the world (Sierra Juniper)

20140524-270-junipers-M.jpg

Sierra-junipers-in-snow-6.jpg

mm%2BSierra%2BJuniper.jpg

Sierra-juniper-1-564x376.jpg

These can grow in rock, almost no soil, roots go down into the cracks, 8,000-10,000 ft above sea level, up to around 3,000 years old. Ppl use them for Bonsai trees all over the world (Sierra Juniper)

I love their beautiful sculpted shapes. Truly Nokomis dash Mishomis Mitigoog. (Grandmother and Grandfather Trees)

20140524-270-junipers-M.jpg

Sierra-junipers-in-snow-6.jpg

mm%2BSierra%2BJuniper.jpg

Sierra-juniper-1-564x376.jpg

These pictures remind me of the Karate Kid when Daniel-son planted the bonsai down the side of the cliff. :D

Back