Garden...

Envy mostly :)

No I wanted to see what LR’s plans are.

Got 17 cabbage plants out, and a little more than a 40 ft row of onions. My little tomatoe plants are living outside most of the time now but I won’t set them out in the garden until mid-April. At that point I’ll plant some green beans, okra, squash (white, yellow and spaghetti) and cucumbers. Whippoorwill peas are on the slate for sometime as well.

Oh, more plans. I signed my retirement papers last week. I plan to work part time only next year. We’ll see how that works out for me. :D

Got 17 cabbage plants out, and a little more than a 40 ft row of onions. My little tomatoe plants are living outside most of the time now but I won’t set them out in the garden until mid-April. At that point I’ll plant some green beans, okra, squash (white, yellow and spaghetti) and cucumbers. Whippoorwill peas are on the slate for sometime as well.

Oh, more plans. I signed my retirement papers last week. I plan to work part time only next year. We’ll see how that works out for me. :D

Congratulations on both the new life in your garden beds, and in your own life as well!

I'll be planting tomatoes in another week or so. Several varieties. I hope the Cherokee Purples produce well again. Delicious fruits!

I'm thinking of growing a few things this year. Corn for one, maybe some rainbow carrots, and some purple potatoes.

Yes. Or at least thats what I'm told by the people selling the seeds.

You must live in a more southern area. We still have several inches of snow on the ground here, and another foot scheduled for later this week. I'll be starting our tomatoes and peppers indoors later this month. In May they can go out to the hoop house (assuming the snow has melted enough by then to get to it lol). Won't put them in the ground until early June.

Are you growing anything else?

You must live in a more southern area. We still have several inches of snow on the ground here, and another foot scheduled for later this week. I'll be starting our tomatoes and peppers indoors later this month. In May they can go out to the hoop house (assuming the snow has melted enough by then to get to it lol). Won't put them in the ground until early June.

Are you growing anything else?

No, just tomatoes. Our backyard is too shady for anything but english ivy. I have a small raised bed out front, but don't want to go crazy.

Yes, I am in a southern area. I live in Atlanta.

No, just tomatoes. Our backyard is too shady for anything but english ivy. I have a small raised bed out front, but don't want to go crazy.

Yes, I am in a southern area. I live in Atlanta.

Shade is definitely not your friend when it comes to growing veggies. Do you have other landscaping in the front? It's fun to sprinkle herbs and garlic and short peppers here and then among the flowers, if you have some.

Shade is definitely not your friend when it comes to growing veggies. Do you have other landscaping in the front? It's fun to sprinkle herbs and garlic and short peppers here and then among the flowers, if you have some.

The front yard has 3 flowerbeds and my raised garden bed, and a few decorative small trees. My g/f likes the green expanse of the yard.

Got home from KY last Friday. The bugs are about to carry my garden off. Squash bugs all over my squash plants, some little iridescent green-back bug sucking the sap (and thus the life) out of my cucumbers, ants invading my okra...it’s the invasion of the insects! Oh, and the rabbits had eaten about 1/4 of my green beans.

I dispatched the rabbit with my Ruger Airhawk pellet gun yesterday morning before going to church and have a jar with a little gasoline in it and have started picking the bugs off my squash plants and have used some liquid Sevin on my cucumbers (its several weeks before they start bearing).

IT’S FARGIN WAR!!!

There are a great many natural non-toxic insecticides on the market today. There are some great home-made agents that work quite well also. Try a mixture of garlic oil and chile pepper spray. I run the little bastards off my tomatoes last spring....and the turtles and rabbits also quit taking little bites on the low hanging ones leaving them to rot on the vine. When you are ready to harvest just give them a good bath with some soft soap and allow them to set in a bucket of clear water for a few hours. No effect whatsoever on the taste.

Back