Garden...

LOL! Both! We do have some coming tonight into tomorrow. So far, they're keeping it at 1-3 inches. I am okay with that.

I am not surprised by that!

1-3 is what they said we would get, a couple days ago. Woke up to find it changed to a winter storm warning. Oh boy! On the brighter side, soon our birds will be speaking Ojibwe too. lol

1-3 is what they said we would get, a couple days ago. Woke up to find it changed to a winter storm warning. Oh boy! On the brighter side, soon our birds will be speaking Ojibwe too. lol

Yeah, I should be concerned about this one. We all know how it starts out as a dusting, and then you end up with feet of snow.

LOL! That will be awesome! They'll be multi-lingual!

Ruh roh, Aimee, look out for incoming! 1-3, they said. 3-5, they said. 4-6, they said. Closer to a foot, we said. That deck rail is 42" high; the snow on top of it is 3'+. The snow piles down below are chest-high. And more's coming this weekend! And next Tuesday!

B8XTTUr.jpg

Ruh roh, Aimee, look out for incoming! 1-3, they said. 3-5, they said. 4-6, they said. Closer to a foot, we said. That deck rail is 42" high; the snow on top of it is 3'+. The snow piles down below are chest-high. And more's coming this weekend! And next Tuesday!

B8XTTUr.jpg

Ha ha ha ha ha! Ruh roh is right! Yikes! We just might get buried! That's a lot of snow! We are supposed to get more this week-end and next week, too. Ugh.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Ruh roh is right! Yikes! We just might get buried! That's a lot of snow! We are supposed to get more this week-end and next week, too. Ugh.

You know it's been a long winter when you find yourself staring longingly at pictures of dandelions in people's yards on Facebook. lol

You know it's been a long winter when you find yourself staring longingly at pictures of dandelions in people's yards on Facebook. lol

LOL! Yes! I know it's been a long winter, too, when I go to wash the windows, and they have face and hand prints all over them! I love all four seasons, but when one is longer than all the rest combined, it gets a little old after a while.:laugh:

LOL! Yes! I know it's been a long winter, too, when I go to wash the windows, and they have face and hand prints all over them! I love all four seasons, but when one is longer than all the rest combined, it gets a little old after a while.:laugh:

You're so right! Don't wash them just yet. Check out our forecast for this weekend. You know who gets it when we're done with it, right? lol

ZOfUnO1.jpg

Buttercups are up down here. But it just....keeps .... raining. It’s potato planting time and I can’t set foot in my garden without sinking halfway to my knees in the mud. It’ll be one of those years where I’ll just have to find some patience. Planted some tomato seeds (Arkansas Travelers) in a planter so that’ll take the edge off a bit. ;)

Buttercups are up down here. But it just....keeps .... raining. It’s potato planting time and I can’t set foot in my garden without sinking halfway to my knees in the mud. It’ll be one of those years where I’ll just have to find some patience. Planted some tomato seeds (Arkansas Travelers) in a planter so that’ll take the edge off a bit. ;)

Before I go into the fetal position from the last post, I love planting tomatoes in planters. I definitely want to do that this year. I am also going to try my hand at raised gardens this year. I am excited about that!

Before I go into the fetal position from the last post, I love planting tomatoes in planters. I definitely want to do that this year. I am also going to try my hand at raised gardens this year. I am excited about that!

By planters do you mean hanging pots or ones on the ground?

How many plants do you put in one?

It depends on what I want to use it for. If it's for flowers, I will cram that bad boy right full. If I am using it only as a thing for tomatoes, I will put only four plants in there so that they have room to grow and for those cages that you put around them. It's a big planter.

It depends on what I want to use it for. If it's for flowers, I will cram that bad boy right full. If I am using it only as a thing for tomatoes, I will put only four plants in there so that they have room to grow and for those cages that you put around them. It's a big planter.

Oh okay, I do the same thing. I have grown tomatoes in large pots but probably not the size of yours. They didn't do that great if more than one was in there. I did have good luck last summer though with planting both flowers and birdhouse gourds (several gourd plants) in a large planter.

Summer seems so far away!

Hey LR, how's winter been treating you? Question: Did you ever try planting potatoes in the fall and/or leaving some in the ground to overwinter?

Oh okay, I do the same thing. I have grown tomatoes in large pots but probably not the size of yours. They didn't do that great if more than one was in there. I did have good luck last summer though with planting both flowers and birdhouse gourds (several gourd plants) in a large planter.

Summer seems so far away!

Yes, if I am not careful, the tomatoes can come out not so good. I have to make sure to give them plant food on a regular basis to make them come out decent. I might do some small gourds, too, for us. I would love to have some of those small ones! I might add those with some flowers, too. That would be a lot of fun for Matt, too!

Hey LR, how's winter been treating you? Question: Did you ever try planting potatoes in the fall and/or leaving some in the ground to overwinter?

Winter....I’m so ready for warmer, somewhat drier weather. But we’ve wintered well. Plenty of preserved stuff from the garden and the land to sustain us, lots of high school basketball games and academic meets. But I’m ready for spring and some slower times. In addition to my normal job I have been going to CLEET training three nights a week for four hours each night.

I have planted some fall potatoes but never have left any in the ground, intentionally anyway. Fall potatoes made ok but I only planted them because I didn’t make enough with that spring’s crop.

Winter....I’m so ready for warmer, somewhat drier weather. But we’ve wintered well. Plenty of preserved stuff from the garden and the land to sustain us, lots of high school basketball games and academic meets. But I’m ready for spring and some slower times. In addition to my normal job I have been going to CLEET training three nights a week for four hours each night.

I have planted some fall potatoes but never have left any in the ground, intentionally anyway. Fall potatoes made ok but I only planted them because I didn’t make enough with that spring’s crop.

You've been busy! What is CLEET?

A friend in Alaska sent me some heirloom spuds last fall. I was afraid that they wouldn't keep well over the winter, so went ahead and planted them with plenty of mulch. Now they have four feet of snow over them as well. Hoping that they will come up this spring and do well.

You've been busy! What is CLEET?

A friend in Alaska sent me some heirloom spuds last fall. I was afraid that they wouldn't keep well over the winter, so went ahead and planted them with plenty of mulch. Now they have four feet of snow over them as well. Hoping that they will come up this spring and do well.

Council for Law Enforcement Education and Training. When I finish I’ll be certified to carry a firearm while I teach. It is a way for smaller schools whose budget won’t allow them to hire a “resource officer” to provide a level of protection against an attack. You know, it’s one of those things one trains for and hopes he never has to use.

To the potatoes...if the ground didn’t freeze down past their level they’ll likely come up and do fine. I sure wish we’d get some snow like we used to. Nothing better for returning nitrogen to the soil....or so I’m told. I just know the process of freezing and thawing is really good for the garden spot.

Back