Garden...

That's awesome! It's good to see non-athletics getting attention and applause too.

They had a send off for the kids. Fire trucks led them out of town. We have a lot of support for our teams and are successful even down through elementary school. Our 5th and 6th grade team qualified for the state tournament as well. Their tournament is in March.

The challenge is half the fun, eh? We have extremely sandy soil here. Looking at our well report when they made it, the first 85 feet down consists of sand! So in our raised beds I've been dumping the dirt from our jillions of potted flowers, every fall, and mixing it in. (The flowers have to live in pots on the deck or they will become deer salad bar.) We have also added compost and manure as well. Hey, do you think that deer droppings would work too? We have lots of that around.

I bet your property and gardens are beautiful. Got an pics of them in the green times?

Do have pictures, however, they are not digital, and I would not know how to transfer them anyway. Will say that the zuchinni was around 4' tall, and the straight neck was 3'. Corn grew to 8' tall, tomatoees were 4'. Strawberries were plentiful. All in all, it was a good crop. Still eating it.

We had a rare ice storm here today. Lots of power outages around, especially in town. In fact, we were just watching the local news when their feed disappeared; their live stream thing on-line showed them trying to do the sports using flashlights. lol

A couple of pics of the stark but beautiful ice. Those are ice floes out there on the big lake, as well.

9h4ZnUr.jpg

1TZd3K8.jpg

Do have pictures, however, they are not digital, and I would not know how to transfer them anyway. Will say that the zuchinni was around 4' tall, and the straight neck was 3'. Corn grew to 8' tall, tomatoees were 4'. Strawberries were plentiful. All in all, it was a good crop. Still eating it.

Well done. Nothing like eating something you grew in July, in February, savoring the taste of summer past.

Epic snow totals here in the UP of MI from yesterday's storm. We already started out with 2-3 feet on the ground, and then it got even better/worse.

a7DFpJS.jpg

2NxUuGa.jpg

zskUPE0.jpg

Those are Japanese Beetles. They can devastate plants, especially flower buds.

Those bugs are beautiful bugs, but pests! Once, they must of hatched in by backyard, as I had about 50 of them bumbling and buzzing around in my backyard all at the same time. But, it seems early for them, as I have never seen one until like May. I'm sure we will still be having several freezes before winter is out of here.

The best way to catch them is put up a Pheromone Trap that will catch any kind of Oriental Bug. I mean- why poison everything, including yourself and all the good Samaritan creatures, just to kill the real pests? They can be ordered online, and this one comes with 3 for like $7.95- and they will work all through the summer.

8124A.jpg

images

Holy cow! That's a lot of snow! What's surprising, though, is how fast it will melt in the spring.

Isn't that freaky how fast that happens?

We were watching the deer last evening struggling to get through the snow to where we feed them. They usually have little deer highways, but they were completely filled in with snow. Poor guys.

SkL3ykZ.jpg

Those bugs are beautiful bugs, but pests! Once, they must of hatched in by backyard, as I had about 50 of them bumbling and buzzing around in my backyard all at the same time. But, it seems early for them, as I have never seen one until like May. I'm sure we will still be having several freezes before winter is out of here.

The best way to catch them is put up a Pheromone Trap that will catch any kind of Oriental Bug. I mean- why poison everything, including yourself and all the good Samaritan creatures, just to kill the real pests? They can be ordered online, and this one comes with 3 for like $7.95- and they will work all through the summer.

8124A.jpg

images

I always like it when ppl use non-toxic ways to control pests. Kudos to you!

Isn't that freaky how fast that happens?

We were watching the deer last evening struggling to get through the snow to where we feed them. They usually have little deer highways, but they were completely filled in with snow. Poor guys.

SkL3ykZ.jpg

Oh, my! That's beautiful! They're gorgeous! I love when they make their paths like that.

Oh, my! That's beautiful! They're gorgeous! I love when they make their paths like that.

They're fun to follow in summer because they seem to find the eas(iest) ways down the cliffs to the water. This guy leaves trails too. I try to avoid them. lol

Xo4Zb4X.jpg

They're fun to follow in summer because they seem to find the eas(iest) ways down the cliffs to the water. This guy leaves trails too. I try to avoid them. lol

Xo4Zb4X.jpg

:eek: Yes, I would give him lots and lots of leeway! LOL! I think I am going to try my hand at raised gardens, too. I really want to do tomatoes this year.

:eek: Yes, I would give him lots and lots of leeway! LOL! I think I am going to try my hand at raised gardens, too. I really want to do tomatoes this year.

Good luck! I was surprised that they do fairly well here despite the super short growing season. I don't put them out until the beginning of June; we get our first frost in October. Last year we got our first snow on October 5th! What kind do you like to grow? I usually go for the Roma ones because they make great sauce.

Good luck! I was surprised that they do fairly well here despite the super short growing season. I don't put them out until the beginning of June; we get our first frost in October. Last year we got our first snow on October 5th! What kind do you like to grow? I usually go for the Roma ones because they make great sauce.

They do really well here, too. We used to get our first frost in October more often than we do now. If I am planting a regular garden, I love the Beefsteak tomatoes. Romas are really good, and I love the Cherry tomatoes, too, just for snacks. I eat them like they're candy.

I really want to do a raised garden because I want some peas and beans this year. Peas are so easy to grow. They'll grow even if you just drop peas on the ground! They're delicious treats, too. I always warn people not to invite me into their gardens when they grow beans and peas. I will eat them! :laugh: Forget the deer or other animals eating them. This animal can't resist them, either.

They do really well here, too. We used to get our first frost in October more often than we do now. If I am planting a regular garden, I love the Beefsteak tomatoes. Romas are really good, and I love the Cherry tomatoes, too, just for snacks. I eat them like they're candy.

I really want to do a raised garden because I want some peas and beans this year. Peas are so easy to grow. They'll grow even if you just drop peas on the ground! They're delicious treats, too. I always warn people not to invite me into their gardens when they grow beans and peas. I will eat them! :laugh: Forget the deer or other animals eating them. This animal can't resist them, either.

Hahahaha!!! I think we are twins separated at birth. One of my very earliest childhood memories involves sneaking out of our backyard when mom wasn't looking, scampering down the street at the back of the houses to a neighbor's backyard where they grew a veggie garden, and eating the peas right off the vine. OMG, so sweet! Last summer we grew sugar snap peas but most of them got snapped before they made it into the house. lol Peas do so great in our cooler climate up here, don't they?

Have you ever grown wax beans?

Hahahaha!!! I think we are twins separated at birth. One of my very earliest childhood memories involves sneaking out of our backyard when mom wasn't looking, scampering down the street at the back of the houses to a neighbor's backyard where they grew a veggie garden, and eating the peas right off the vine. OMG, so sweet! Last summer we grew sugar snap peas but most of them got snapped before they made it into the house. lol Peas do so great in our cooler climate up here, don't they?

Have you ever grown wax beans?

LOL! We must be! Oh, my mother would get so mad at me because I would be out there eating the peas, beans, and her green peppers! I eat those things like apples. We had a grower in Bowdoinham who would bring me a whole grocery bag full of fresh peas. My eyes would light up like Christmas trees. Peas do excellent up here, too. I think it could be because it's not so hot, and it really doesn't get too dry. I haven't grown wax beans yet, but I think I just might try that.

LOL! We must be! Oh, my mother would get so mad at me because I would be out there eating the peas, beans, and her green peppers! I eat those things like apples. We had a grower in Bowdoinham who would bring me a whole grocery bag full of fresh peas. My eyes would light up like Christmas trees. Peas do excellent up here, too. I think it could be because it's not so hot, and it really doesn't get too dry. I haven't grown wax beans yet, but I think I just might try that.

Raw veggies are so sweet and delicious, aren't they? I also used to eat weeds, flowers, etc. that were growing in the yard, much to my mom's horror. My middle daughter did too. We both grew up to be gardeners, foragers, and chompers of tame and wild raw foods. We must have been peasants or native women in our prior lives. lol

It's hard to find the wax bean seeds in nurseries; had to order them by mail. Love them even better than green beans. Have you ever grown potatoes there?

PS - I hope you don't get in trouble for talking nice to YouKnowHoo. lol

Last edited:
Raw veggies are so sweet and delicious, aren't they? I also used to eat weeds, flowers, etc. that were growing in the yard, much to my mom's horror. My middle daughter did too. We both grew up to be gardeners, foragers, and chompers of tame and wild raw foods. We must have been peasants or native women in our prior lives. lol

It's hard to find the wax bean seeds in nurseries; had to order them by mail. Love them even better than green beans. Have you ever grown potatoes there?

PS - I hope you don't get in trouble for talking nice to YouKnowHoo. lol

Oh, they really are! My mother used to be horrified because I was always eating the wild blueberries from the field across the road from our house. LOL! When I was pregnant, I had to have blueberries all the time. Bob called them my little blue pills. He told the doctor that he thought that I was addicted to them! :laugh: She just laughed and told him not to discourage me from eating them. Raw fruits and veggies are just the best things ever!

Back