Garden...

I only use organics. I have a literal lifetime supply of Holly Tone. (Long story) Shame you aren't closer. Buy a small bag and mix it in sparingly. Avoid high N ferts. I use fish fertilizer and liquid bone meal when I water. You can add bone meal in the soil, which would normally raise the PH. Using the Holly Tone (acidifier) will balance nicely.

Thanks! Would that be good for tomatoes as well?

Moving from Alaska to Texas, I have had to learn new gardening ways. I must say, it was less challenging in Alaska. I plan to take a few gardening courses. It’s been discouraging to say the least!

Moving from Alaska to Texas, I have had to learn new gardening ways. I must say, it was less challenging in Alaska. I plan to take a few gardening courses. It’s been discouraging to say the least!
At least you have a longer growing season.

My first project was a Xmas cactus that was begging to be put to sleep. Then came an Aloe.

I'll post pix of the Xmas cactus. The thing is huge. Same for the Aloe. It's already been re potted several times, and is now creating its own family.
This cactus was knocking on death's door about 15 years ago. It survived the cats using it as a toy once it started to grow.

xmas cactus.jpg

Dreaming of tomatoes.............

palLI6I.jpg

Frozen beauty. It might be a while before we put the tomatoes out.......... Twas -14F this morning; -20F at the airport (which is inland from the Lake).

qNgiedJ.jpg

0tcuFEO.jpg

I burned my two spots off Wednesday. I’ll fertilize and till them when it’s dry enough. Cabbage and tater planting time quickly approaches.

It's been pretty cold for you guys down there, hasn't it?

Yes. We had a few days where the highs didn’t get out of the 30’s...lows in the teens. That’s pretty cold for us. It’s almost like spring out there right now. We just got back from OKC (my Son’s Academic team was in the state tournament) and I just fed my dogs in the dark. No need for a jacket. But it’s supposed to get cold again next week. Nothing like the ups and downs of weather.

Yes. We had a few days where the highs didn’t get out of the 30’s...lows in the teens. That’s pretty cold for us. It’s almost like spring out there right now. We just got back from OKC (my Son’s Academic team was in the state tournament) and I just fed my dogs in the dark. No need for a jacket. But it’s supposed to get cold again next week. Nothing like the ups and downs of weather.

Mother Nature keeps life interesting, for sure. Congrats to your son! What is the "academic team" he's on?

Mother Nature keeps life interesting, for sure. Congrats to your son! What is the "academic team" he's on?

We have academic quiz bowl teams in the public schools. The playoffs are overseen by the activities association. Four kids comprise a team. They start with 20 toss up questions where the kids buzz in and answer like on Jeopardy. Then the second quarter is called a lightening round. They choose from 3 categories (the team in the lead gets the choice to choose first or to defer first choicemuntil the fourth quarter) and then are asked 10 questions in one minute which they answer as a team. In the second half they do it all over again. Points are awarded for correct answers and a winning team is determined. We finished second in our class (103 different public schools) in Oklahoma this year. My boy loves this competition. The teams have to advance through districts, regionals and area to make it to the state tournament like in sports.

We have academic quiz bowl teams in the public schools. The playoffs are overseen by the activities association. Four kids comprise a team. They start with 20 toss up questions where the kids buzz in and answer like on Jeopardy. Then the second quarter is called a lightening round. They choose from 3 categories (the team in the lead gets the choice to choose first or to defer first choicemuntil the fourth quarter) and then are asked 10 questions in one minute which they answer as a team. In the second half they do it all over again. Points are awarded for correct answers and a winning team is determined. We finished second in our class (103 different public schools) in Oklahoma this year. My boy loves this competition. The teams have to advance through districts, regionals and area to make it to the state tournament like in sports.

That's awesome! It's good to see non-athletics getting attention and applause too.

they are not outside right?

That's awesome! It's good to see non-athletics getting attention and applause too.

Living here in the High Desert country of Oregon has presented its own challenges. The first is the lack of soil since what we have here is pumice from all of the volcanic activity of past eons. It took me 10 years just to get some satisfactory to plant in with tons of manure, straw, etc. I now have 3 greenhouses (15'x7'x7'), 1 greenhouse (24'x12'x10'), 4 raised beds (4'x12'), and a fenced in 30'x70' area for my orchard, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, currents, rhubarb, asparagus, wild flowers, and an area for carrots, spinach, broccoli, whatever the deer will eat, and needs protection aside from the greenhouses. Last night it snowed even though this is a mild winter (we sometimes get 3'-4', and 20-30 degrees below zero about every 4 years), and temperatures in the low 30's for the next couple of weeks. I am starting tomatoes, etc., in the house.

Anyway, it is getting boring here in the out country, and warmer weather cannot get here soon enough.

some dogs prefer to be outside. cats too.

yes they like to be outside when it warm or when they have t take a piss or shit

They want to be inside where its safe and their people are.

they are your pack

being kept from the pack is a social punishment for them

dogs don't belong being shunned jfrom their people

my dogs beds are INSIDE with me their pack leader

they have a dog door to decide when they want to be outside or inside

yes they like to be outside when it warm or when they have t take a piss or shit

They want to be inside where its safe and their people are.

they are your pack

being kept from the pack is a social punishment for them

dogs don't belong being shunned jfrom their people

my dogs beds are INSIDE with me their pack leader

they have a dog door to decide when they want to be outside or inside

Well aren't your dogs special. In the meantime some dogs prefer to be outside where nature evolved them to living.

Back