Garden...

Nice. I guess it is just not that hot here for them -- even though it will be in the 80s sometimes in the hoop house in the summer. Each plant gets its own large (20-gal) pot with fresh potting mix, is fertilized and water regularly. I get tiny little peppers not a lot bigger than pingpong balls. Suggestions??
I'm in the northeast...similar growing season to you. They're pretty weak plants that break easily, but I was surprised at how easy they are to grow, and how happy they get. I'd need more information. Are the plants otherwise healthy? Or are they small and narrow? If they're lush, with small fruit that's typically too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus. They also like the soil a bit acid. I used to use epsom salt in water when I fed, but now I just use Holly Tone in the soil when I plant. I have three growing in that container in the picture, and I don't think there's 20 gallons of soil in the whole container.

It's funny how horticulture fanatics are so strange. In 1960, my folks bought our summer home to get us out of the city for the summers. That's where my dad learned to garden. We transplanted mint from our summer home, to our year round home when we moved out of the city in '66. I now have that mint in my gardens up here, long after both my parents have passed. Sure...I could get mint from anywhere, but it won't be 'our' mint. Same for the trees we planted in the landscaping at the new home...I took cuttings and started my own. And rocks...when dad passed and we were clearing out the house, my greedy sister was grabbing jewelry, and I was in the yard grabbing the unique rocks my dad and I would bring home after every fishing trip.

Weird bunch....

I will never buy or plant mint again. Made that mistake and I am still fighting the losing battle. One little peat pot is now the bane of my existence. That crap has spread and translocated all over the place. I am convinced I will never be rid of it. Chocolate mint. When I come in smelling like a York Peppermint Patty people just chuckle. Just when I think I have it cornered and down for the count, it starts coming up all over God's creation again.

I will never buy or plant mint again. Made that mistake and I am still fighting the losing battle. One little peat pot is now the bane of my existence. That crap has spread and translocated all over the place. I am convinced I will never be rid of it. Chocolate mint. When I come in smelling like a York Peppermint Patty people just chuckle. Just when I think I have it cornered and down for the count, it starts coming up all over God's creation again.
My mother did the same, I learned a lesson from her. Keep it in a container.

Chocolate mint, it could be worse.

That’s incredible, new dirt?

I have considered it, but for now I just plant ornamentals in that area and hope that the oils will eventually leach out. New dirt in that bed would be 150 40 pound bags wheelbarrowed up a hill because it is inaccessible by vehicles. Took forever to build the stupid thing to begin with and cost me about 5 times what I had initially planned on as it got bigger and deeper the more I worked on it.

I just got two new plants today.....grumble grumble. Someone rooted some broken off christmas cactus that I had to pot up and someone gave me a european cypress tree already potted they had placed on a grave for the holidays. It is a never ending battle. I at least found out you can root xmas cactus in water. I never even tried that way. I always just stick the broken segments into dirt. It would be nice if people passed along something we could eat.

LOL! Well, hmmm... what *is* it about you and ppl giving you Death Plants anyways?

LOL! Well, hmmm... what *is* it about you and ppl giving you Death Plants anyways?

I am the person people who want to ditch something ditch it to so they don't feel guilty about ditching it I guess. Not sure. One day a woman from work showed up at my house unannounced, dropped off several old concrete things and pots of cacti. IDK. I'm a doormat for landscaping crap I guess.

It's funny how horticulture fanatics are so strange. In 1960, my folks bought our summer home to get us out of the city for the summers. That's where my dad learned to garden. We transplanted mint from our summer home, to our year round home when we moved out of the city in '66. I now have that mint in my gardens up here, long after both my parents have passed. Sure...I could get mint from anywhere, but it won't be 'our' mint. Same for the trees we planted in the landscaping at the new home...I took cuttings and started my own. And rocks...when dad passed and we were clearing out the house, my greedy sister was grabbing jewelry, and I was in the yard grabbing the unique rocks my dad and I would bring home after every fishing trip.

Weird bunch....

Nah, not weird -- you just prefer the things that matter. When my mother passed my dad was so grief-stricken that he let my sister and I take care of everything. She was out of state so I planned the funeral and took care of all that for him. When she got back, she went through Mom's stuff and divvied it up. She got the fine china, the expensive silverware, crystal glasses, sewing machine, etc. I took Mom's mixing bowls, the ceramic knickknacks that she had in the kitchen, and her baking and casserole dishes. I still use those items, almost every day. We also have Mr. Owl's mom's mixing bowls, and my late husband's grandma's 100+-yo cast iron skillet. Every time I use them, I am blessed to think of them, and all the wonderful meals they made for their families. To me anyways that's more important than china and silverware we would seldom use.

I'm in the northeast...similar growing season to you. They're pretty weak plants that break easily, but I was surprised at how easy they are to grow, and how happy they get. I'd need more information. Are the plants otherwise healthy? Or are they small and narrow? If they're lush, with small fruit that's typically too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus. They also like the soil a bit acid. I used to use epsom salt in water when I fed, but now I just use Holly Tone in the soil when I plant. I have three growing in that container in the picture, and I don't think there's 20 gallons of soil in the whole container.

Thanks! Yes, the plants look great but the fruits are shrimpy.

I have considered it, but for now I just plant ornamentals in that area and hope that the oils will eventually leach out. New dirt in that bed would be 150 40 pound bags wheelbarrowed up a hill because it is inaccessible by vehicles. Took forever to build the stupid thing to begin with and cost me about 5 times what I had initially planned on as it got bigger and deeper the more I worked on it.
Oh, dang, I’d try ornaments first as well!

Nah, not weird -- you just prefer the things that matter. When my mother passed my dad was so grief-stricken that he let my sister and I take care of everything. She was out of state so I planned the funeral and took care of all that for him. When she got back, she went through Mom's stuff and divvied it up. She got the fine china, the expensive silverware, crystal glasses, sewing machine, etc. I took Mom's mixing bowls, the ceramic knickknacks that she had in the kitchen, and her baking and casserole dishes. I still use those items, almost every day. We also have Mr. Owl's mom's mixing bowls, and my late husband's grandma's 100+-yo cast iron skillet. Every time I use them, I am blessed to think of them, and all the wonderful meals they made for their families. To me anyways that's more important than china and silverware we would seldom use.
I was the same way, didn’t care about her jewelry, we gave her diamond to my youngest sister, who lived near her. I took cuttings of her Mock Orange Bush, the waffle iron, 1943, still original cord and everything. I wanted her recipe file, cookbooks and apron. Those things meant more to me.

Mint is a great companion plant for a number of reasons. I simply weed it out every year, and leave what I need. But yes...it takes quite a bit of management.

Could be worse.

Same here. I took mom's two piece steamer, even though I had my own. The pot has a slight warp, which causes it to rock a little on an electric range when it boils.

I always say that mom's here helping with the broccoli.

Thanks! Yes, the plants look great but the fruits are shrimpy.
I only use organics. I have a literal lifetime supply of Holly Tone. (Long story) Shame you aren't closer. Buy a small bag and mix it in sparingly. Avoid high N ferts. I use fish fertilizer and liquid bone meal when I water. You can add bone meal in the soil, which would normally raise the PH. Using the Holly Tone (acidifier) will balance nicely.

Mint is a great companion plant for a number of reasons. I simply weed it out every year, and leave what I need. But yes...it takes quite a bit of management.

Could be worse.

Depends on where you live. Here in the south, it goes crazy crazy-fast. I have some sweet mint that stays rather compact and manageable in the shaded corner of a different bed, but that chocolate mint is as aggressive as vinca major when it hits sunlight. It will overtake other things and choke them out.

Depends on where you live. Here in the south, it goes crazy crazy-fast. I have some sweet mint that stays rather compact and manageable in the shaded corner of a different bed, but that chocolate mint is as aggressive as vinca major when it hits sunlight. It will overtake other things and choke them out.
I understand. I do find myself thinning it during the summer, but I'm running it with veggies, so I want it to be thick to repel certain pests.

I was the same way, didn’t care about her jewelry, we gave her diamond to my youngest sister, who lived near her. I took cuttings of her Mock Orange Bush, the waffle iron, 1943, still original cord and everything. I wanted her recipe file, cookbooks and apron. Those things meant more to me.

There's something about the continuity of generations in those things, isn't there? I will divide up the Mom Things among my three daughters when I'm done with them here... and hopefully they will continue on down the years.

Back