Garden...

Gorgeous! I hope there is plenty of rain when you're off vacationing so they don't get wilted. Did you plant them from seed?

I planted them from seed in little nursery trays, and transplanted to peat pots for planting. A lot of my other stuff is late, because of the April snowfall. I planted a Japanese cherry blossom tree, about a decade ago. It was the first time I saw it blooming since planting. It grew quite a bit, but needed more sun I guess. With all the limbs taken down from nearby maples it finally got it. Unfortunately I don't have a picture, as those things bloom a short time. I assume that's why they have specific festivals for their viewing in Japan. I planted that tree in front of my first dogs grave, in hopes no one would ever disturb the grave, with such a magnificent tree there. Wasn't the greatest spot for sun though.

I planted them from seed in little nursery trays, and transplanted to peat pots for planting. A lot of my other stuff is late, because of the April snowfall. I planted a Japanese cherry blossom tree, about a decade ago. It was the first time I saw it blooming since planting. It grew quite a bit, but needed more sun I guess. With all the limbs taken down from nearby maples it finally got it. Unfortunately I don't have a picture, as those things bloom a short time. I assume that's why they have specific festivals for their viewing in Japan. I planted that tree in front of my first dogs grave, in hopes no one would ever disturb the grave, with such a magnificent tree there. Wasn't the greatest spot for sun though.

They are perennials there, or do you have to treat them as annuals? The poppies, I mean.

5b, and up to 6a when you get around the bay.

You are not much different than we are then. We're 5b within 1/2 - 1 mile of the shore (we are inside the 1/2 mile). Then it rapidly turns into 4! Have seen our weather station at home on a January day informing that it's -1F; then the car thermometer a mile and a half away up at the highway will say it's -20F.

I have poppies too. It's REALLY easy to make opium once the petals fall off.

I did it many years ago. It's like smoking blacktop, but I got about as high as high grade weed.

Made pesto from the oregano I harvested today. Also harvested a couple zucchini and some blueberries. Tomorrow it will be yellow squash and beets. Monday it will be 99° and I won't be going out even if the money tree is dropping hundred dollar bills.

Made pesto from the oregano I harvested today. Also harvested a couple zucchini and some blueberries. Tomorrow it will be yellow squash and beets. Monday it will be 99° and I won't be going out even if the money tree is dropping hundred dollar bills.

LOL @ money tree. Can I get a couple clippings from that? Hard to imagine you harvesting already!

I scored something absolutely awesome today! Hiked on out to get the mail, noticed some vividly white mushrooms on a dead oak down the road. They weren't there two days ago. Took a closer look and voila! We have oyster shrooms! I harvested almost a pound from the two trees, leaving the mushroom "root" intact and half of the fruiting bodies on each flush. There are a lot more but up too high to reach.

yUegAvg.jpg

I know we have a few edible mushrooms in our area but I am not brave enough to risk liver failure. As much as I like being cheap, I recognize my ADD could kill me every now and then.

I know we have a few edible mushrooms in our area but I am not brave enough to risk liver failure. As much as I like being cheap, I recognize my ADD could kill me every now and then.

Well, caution is a super great thing to have when considering wild shrooms. That being said, there are relatively few lethal types; most of the non-edible ones will just make your gut sorry that you ate them. I have several mushroom field guides, plus took a class last summer in ID, but even so -- these oysters and the chanterelles are the only ones I have 100% confidence in so far. Like most shrooms, both have inedible look-a-likes but once you've positively IDd them you won't mistake them for anything else. I'm still hoping to find morels. Maybe someday!

Here are just a few of the chanterelles I found last summer. They don't dry well, so I cleaned and cut them up, gently sauteed them in butter for a few minutes, then placed them in jelly jars with the butter and the liquid that they make when cooked, and froze them. Just as good as fresh when thawed out.

9evTGN3.jpg

Picked 2 - 5 Gal buckets of green beans yesterday. Snapped them this evening after church. Picked 2 gallons of blackberries yesterday as well. Froze most, juiced a few. Have beans to can, sauerkraut to can and squash to get ready for the freezer tomorrow. Also have catfish to get vacuum packed for the freezer from our camping trip. Busy days.

Picked 2 - 5 Gal buckets of green beans yesterday. Snapped them this evening after church. Picked 2 gallons of blackberries yesterday as well. Froze most, juiced a few. Have beans to can, sauerkraut to can and squash to get ready for the freezer tomorrow. Also have catfish to get vacuum packed for the freezer from our camping trip. Busy days.

Definitely gives you a new appreciation for how hard our ancestors worked just to survive, doesn't it?

How large is your garden area?

Definitely gives you a new appreciation for how hard our ancestors worked just to survive, doesn't it?

How large is your garden area?

I have 2 - 30ftx40ft areas broken up. I can’t properly take care of more without it becoming a full time job...and I have to go fishing from time to time. ;) They are separated by a tended blackberry patch.

Yeah.. its a great technique.

I am excited and have to brag. I LOVE Morning Glories and Moon Flowers .. and they are so difficult to start... Very hit and miss getting them to germinate from seed.

Eureka.. rub the seeds between two small pieces of sandpaper, dump them in a bowl of warm water and cover with a wet paper towel.. They sprout in 48 hours.

I'm trying this now! Ordered some blue morning glories, and moonflowers, they came today. I rubbed 'em good. They are soaking now.

I have 2 - 30ftx40ft areas broken up. I can’t properly take care of more without it becoming a full time job...and I have to go fishing from time to time. ;) They are separated by a tended blackberry patch.

Yes, fishing is mandatory. Plus it is good for the soul, eh? I'm going tomorrow morning.

Back