Garden...

So you often dine on Hasenpfeffer? lol

Husband build an 8 ft deer fence around ours. Only the herb garden is outside the barricade. The deer did snip the tops off a couple things in the spring before it greened up good, but so far <knocks on wooden leg> they are leaving it alone.

Have you or anyone else ever grown horseradish? I got three roots at the farmer's market the other day. Put them in the herb garden too.

Lol...yes, I do. I actually have beagles and hunt rabbits often in the winter. I keep a supply in the freezer along with squirrel and deer. My favorite is squirrel. I’ve never grown horseradish so I haven’t any advice about that. Let us know how it goes, please.

Lol...yes, I do. I actually have beagles and hunt rabbits often in the winter. I keep a supply in the freezer along with squirrel and deer. My favorite is squirrel. I’ve never grown horseradish so I haven’t any advice about that. Let us know how it goes, please.

Beagles are the bomb.

Horseradish.....well I have planted that and lost it in the weeds to know which was the horseradish and which was weeds so gave up on that pretty quick.

I will, thanks. Just got the new dehydrator today; can't wait to try it out!

The other thing is honeysuckle. My cousin in Boston gets so chuffed about her honeysuckle plant. I could weave a small planet out of all the honeysuckle vines I have had to rip out during my lifetime. It is a pervasive invader of hedge rows in particular.

Another thing is trumpet vine. I worked so hard to dig it out last year and this year it's bigger and stronger than ever, gloating "in your face!"

Another thing is trumpet vine. I worked so hard to dig it out last year and this year it's bigger and stronger than ever, gloating "in your face!"

Cow Itch doesn't bother me so much. Virginia Creeper is the one that once it gets established, it is almost impossible to get rid of around here. It is bad about sneaking around shrubs as shelter and then exploding all over them.

Good morning, and happy Summer Solstice to you all. Got up extra early and went down to the beach to greet the Sun as it comes its farthest north.

BiAqZqQ.jpg

We have a tropical depression hanging out for Summer Soltice. It is a lot more fun celebrating in Alaska. The midnight sun. We use to go to Fairbanks for the soccer tournament.

We have a tropical depression hanging out for Summer Soltice. It is a lot more fun celebrating in Alaska. The midnight sun. We use to go to Fairbanks for the soccer tournament.

I've always wanted to be there for both of the Solstices! Don't they have fireworks on the winter one?

Red skies at night, sailor's delight, red skies in the morning...

It's almost always reddish like that up here at dawn; it's due to the angle of the sun in the northern latitudes. Unsettled days usually start with a murky fog-bound dawn. We don't have any rain predicted till next week.

It's almost always reddish like that up here at dawn; it's due to the angle of the sun in the northern latitudes. Unsettled days usually start with a murky fog-bound dawn. We don't have any rain predicted till next week.

Ok but if an albatross splatters on your windshield when you are pulling your boat to the dock, don't say you weren't warned twice:

Clipped the scapes from the garlic so the bulbs will grow large. Has anyone ever eaten them? They're supposed to be delicious.

Hx0iLFW.jpg

Not the scapes but I have harvested the foliage and added it into salads. They have a light garlic tone so I assume the scapes do as well..

That's what I've read as well. This is the first time that I've grown garlic that formed scapes. I guess where we used to live it was just too hot. I planted the bulbs last fall. The bed was still damp and the air warm enough that they sent up tentative shoots. Then came winter. They lived under several feet of snow for months on end. In mid-April we had a blizzard that dumped another two feet over there in the garden, and four across the driveway. Within 10 days it had all melted, and we got Spring! The garlic leaves were already 5-6 inches high when the last of the snow melted. I'm thinking that planting onion bulbs in the fall might be a good idea too. What do you think?

Back