Garden...

Thanks. Poor soil, eh? I wonder how they feel about sand? lol

ETA: Wow, they're heirloom types. Do you pick and eat them when young and green, or dry them? What do they taste like?

I like to use heirlooms when I can. Many of my seedlings in the Spring are from seeds saved from the year before.

The peas are similar to black eyes but with a little tougher skin and they make a thinner broth when cooked. I pick them at the roasting ear stage, shell them then can or freeze them. I also leave enough on the vine to dry to plant for next year. A person could cook them from the dry stage as well. I like field peas like Whippoorwills and Crowders better than cream peas like blackeyes or zipper peas.

Along with salmon last night, I made salad from the fresh greens I planted last month. Rather than having them out in the garden because slugs, they grow in pots on the deck mixed in with flowers and herbs. It's so nice to have fresh just-picked foodies!

v4Nhz1q.jpg

Which we got to eat, while seeing this out the window.... can you see the bit of rainbow?

DdkPUUd.jpg

Life is good.

Speaking of slugs, is anyone else troubled by them? Last year I grew cabbages. The slugs enjoyed them greatly. Any ideas on how to combat them? Thanks in advance.

What's the problem, do you know?

Plants are healthy, lots of blooms underneath at least, bees about. No clue. They just aren't making me any babies. There are only like one or 2 fruits on that whole glob of green. Last year the plants were not nearly so large and they produced like mad.

Plants are healthy, lots of blooms underneath at least, bees about. No clue. They just aren't making me any babies. There are only like one or 2 fruits on that whole glob of green. Last year the plants were not nearly so large and they produced like mad.

Hmm, could the soil be too rich? I don't know from cukes, but definitely many flowering vines will produce lush foliage rather than blossoms in the presence of rich soil. They're in full sun?

Have you had a lot of rain? You said there are bees about? Do you have both male and female blooms?

Hmm, could the soil be too rich? I don't know from cukes, but definitely many flowering vines will produce lush foliage rather than blossoms in the presence of rich soil. They're in full sun?

Yes on full sun. I did put down 5 tons of compost in that area this year so maybe on the rich. No sure.

Have you had a lot of rain? You said there are bees about? Do you have both male and female blooms?

We had a lot of rain mid may to mid june. Not a lot since. Haven't really paid that much attention to the blooms other than they are buried under that foliage.

We had a lot of rain mid may to mid june. Not a lot since. Haven't really paid that much attention to the blooms other than they are buried under that foliage.
They may be just a little delayed. The foliage is beautiful, very healthy plants. If the bees aren’t showing up you can self pollinate. I hope the best for you.

Back