Garden...

Cow Itch doesn't bother me so much. Virginia Creeper is the one that once it gets established, it is almost impossible to get rid of around here. It is bad about sneaking around shrubs as shelter and then exploding all over them.

The roots slither through my flower garden and new growth pops up a good 25' from the source. I don't know how to kill the thing!

That's what I've read as well. This is the first time that I've grown garlic that formed scapes. I guess where we used to live it was just too hot. I planted the bulbs last fall. The bed was still damp and the air warm enough that they sent up tentative shoots. Then came winter. They lived under several feet of snow for months on end. In mid-April we had a blizzard that dumped another two feet over there in the garden, and four across the driveway. Within 10 days it had all melted, and we got Spring! The garlic leaves were already 5-6 inches high when the last of the snow melted. I'm thinking that planting onion bulbs in the fall might be a good idea too. What do you think?

I plant scallions in the early spring and in the fall. If you get the red ones and plant in the fall, they become full-sized red onions if you leave them in well into summer--at least around here. The others not so much. Other onions like Georgia sweet onion I have only had success one time. Most years they just don't do anything and eventually keel over.

The roots slither through my flower garden and new growth pops up a good 25' from the source. I don't know how to kill the thing!

LOL. That happened to me with Virginia creeper. Weed cloth had been put down on this steep bank years ago and I was pulling it up and jumped 30 feet in the air because I thought I was in a nest of snakes there were so many creeper vines bundled and twisted up under that thing when I pulled it back. Explained why they could never get rid of the stuff.

LOL. That happened to me with Virginia creeper. Weed cloth had been put down on this steep bank years ago and I was pulling it up and jumped 30 feet in the air because I thought I was in a nest of snakes there were so many creeper vines bundled and twisted up under that thing when I pulled it back. Explained why they could never get rid of the stuff.

Now that's creepy. You may have to resort to napalm!

That's what I've read as well. This is the first time that I've grown garlic that formed scapes. I guess where we used to live it was just too hot. I planted the bulbs last fall. The bed was still damp and the air warm enough that they sent up tentative shoots. Then came winter. They lived under several feet of snow for months on end. In mid-April we had a blizzard that dumped another two feet over there in the garden, and four across the driveway. Within 10 days it had all melted, and we got Spring! The garlic leaves were already 5-6 inches high when the last of the snow melted. I'm thinking that planting onion bulbs in the fall might be a good idea too. What do you think?

I keep garlic planted that came from my mother’s garden. It just multiplies each year. I used to just go to her garden and get what I need but when she died I got me a start for my place. It’s very good and as reliable as spring it shoots up when the weather starts to warm. I planted onions for the first time this year. I planted Texas Seeets. They turned out good, most of them making heads about the size of a tennis ball. That’s about the extent of my experience with pungent roots. My dad used to raise what he called multiplying onions but we can’t find them any more.

I keep garlic planted that came from my mother’s garden. It just multiplies each year. I used to just go to her garden and get what I need but when she died I got me a start for my place. It’s very good and as reliable as spring it shoots up when the weather starts to warm. I planted onions for the first time this year. I planted Texas Seeets. They turned out good, most of them making heads about the size of a tennis ball. That’s about the extent of my experience with pungent roots. My dad used to raise what he called multiplying onions but we can’t find them any more.

Could they be what they call Egyptian Walking Onions?

Are they these heirlooms?

https://www.jungseed.com/P/04585/Multiplier+Onions

I do not know if they are the Egyptian Walking Onions or not but they shut look similar. I will have to order him some and we’ll see. It’ll be worth checking them out. Thanks!

Tomatoes tomatoes maters maters ma...devils devils devils......my tomatoes are all turning red this week (finally) and I have tooooooo many. Damned full moon. Already gave away about a bushel and haven't even started processing any of mine yet.

Tomatoes tomatoes maters maters ma...devils devils devils......my tomatoes are all turning red this week (finally) and I have tooooooo many. Damned full moon. Already gave away about a bushel and haven't even started processing any of mine yet.
Wonderful

My tomatoes are being nice, taking their time turning and ripening. I canned some Picante sauce today. First of the tomatoes I worked up except what we’ve been eating. Love fresh tomatoes. Cucumbers and squash are dominating my garden right now so I’ve been making pickles (lime and dill) and working up the squash for the freezer. I have some three day lime pickles in the crock to can today...the batch I did Monday made 16 pints.

Pulled up the green bean vines...they were done. It looks like the okra is getting ready to start bearing. I love okra blooms...prettty. Whippoorwill peas should be the next big project.

My tomatoes are being nice, taking their time turning and ripening. I canned some Picante sauce today. First of the tomatoes I worked up except what we’ve been eating. Love fresh tomatoes. Cucumbers and squash are dominating my garden right now so I’ve been making pickles (lime and dill) and working up the squash for the freezer. I have some three day lime pickles in the crock to can today...the batch I did Monday made 16 pints.

Pulled up the green bean vines...they were done. It looks like the okra is getting ready to start bearing. I love okra blooms...prettty. Whippoorwill peas should be the next big project.
I love okra! Especially the spicey pickled kind.

What are whippoorwill peas?

Basically they’re a field pea similar to Crowder peas but they are speckled. They are a southern pea that produce on poor soil. Mine are on good soul though and are taking over the world around them.

Thanks. Poor soil, eh? I wonder how they feel about sand? lol

ETA: Wow, they're heirloom types. Do you pick and eat them when young and green, or dry them? What do they taste like?

Back