Gas prices...

Jarod

Contributor
Conservatives claim that the price of oil is set by supply and demand and what the market will support.

If thats true then why would a gas tax break affect the cost of Gas? Wouldent the gas companies merely adjust the price up to meet the same price as before the tax was cut? I mean if the price is set by what the market can support???

It pretty much would, and when the tax went back on it would soar because the oil cos would not drop back the price much.
And the increase when the tax went back on would be blamed on taxes not oil cos.

Good catch.

Conservatives claim that the price of oil is set by supply and demand and what the market will support.

If thats true then why would a gas tax break affect the cost of Gas? Wouldent the gas companies merely adjust the price up to meet the same price as before the tax was cut? I mean if the price is set by what the market can support???

And where exactly would you get that money for the programs those taxes pay for?

what about the downward spiral of the value of the dollar raising the cost of a barrel of oil and since oil is used to make gas, the price of gas

the gas companies do not set the price of oil, but they do set the price of oil derivatives... :pke:

Jarod stick to subway.
I worked finance in big oil for 25 yes.
The price would indeed go down immediatly.
East step along the process has razorthin margins. That's why they price it out to several decimals.

Just look what happened here in Florida last year when they repealed the state gas tax for a month... Prices barely droped, and were higher at the end.

dung, like Nike shoes you will get charged what you will pay.
That said, if a retail guy has to pay 18cents less for it lots will lower their price and the cycle starts. Oil could go up and make it a dollar higher in a month, but it would be 18 cents less than it otherwise would be.

Back