Gas prices...

300,000 gas stations are playing a joke that cost them millions to put 5 decimal places on their price and change it every day. Care4 back to the kiddy pool.
are the 300,000 gas stations competing for the consumer? If they are, then they are wasting their time with the 5 decimal points out, the penny would suffice for the consumer....$3.47 a gallon is just fine verses $3.48.

I stand by what I said, it appears to be an absolute waste of time and energy to pass a tenth of a penny savings on to the comsumer and it actually matter when they are pricing it at the pump...

if anything it is costing the business by having to have another digit on all pricing apparatus, and signs to advertise the price and the time accountants spend with inputting that 1 tenth of a penny for each gallon in their calculations....

Care

I never understood how that .999 thing came about anyway. It is impossible to buy exactly one gallon of gas.

Talk about dumbass pricing.

You should only be allowed to sell anything based on increments of legal tender.

I never understood how that .999 thing came about anyway. It is impossible to buy exactly one gallon of gas.

Talk about dumbass pricing.

You should only be allowed to sell anything based on increments of legal tender.
makes sense to me....

but what do I know I am just a dumb, uneducated, female with absolutely no clue on anything!

:rolleyes:

lmao

Care

you two have the same amount of degrees combined and are closed minded to boot. Read about it instead of rejecting facts with zero knowledge to back up you position. I as an episode on 60 minutes going over how a retail guy checks pricing on a computer first thing then actually drives around the local stations and sets his price accordingly.
it wasn't intuitive to me either, but simpletons rely on only intuition. Read

At 5:30 pm cst the average here in DuPage County along Roosevelt Rd., I38 was $3.69.999 a gallon. :shock:

No... because you get charged what you will pay. If you will pay $.18 more then you get charged .18 more, regardless if it goes to the government or not!

Unless there are several gas stations around the corner who will lower the price. Competition keeps the price to minimums. The taxes are in addition to any prices the dealer would set, so if they were not imposed, it's a no brainer that the price would drop by the amount of the taxes. What kind of economics and math do you people take for crying out loud?

I know people in the gas and go business. If one station gets a new load of gas and raises the privce because it costs more the rest follow suit even if they have not recieved the higher priced gas yet.

If the price of gas is set at what people will pay... Why would getting rid of the tax affect the price?

Dont just call me names... Try to answer the question.

Whats the mystery? The federal gas tax in the US is 18.4 cents.....
If the government didn't collect that tax, gas in the US would automatically be 18.4 cents less than it is at any given moment...
That would not change the price of gas in Canada or Europe, or anywhere else....in other words, the US gas tax would only affect the price in the US....
World wide oil prices would continue to go up and down as it would normally.... the US federal tax has no effect on the world wide cast of a b. of oil....

It has nothing to do with what a US citizen is willing to pay for his personal gallon of gas....

It seems you think the US (maybe Bush or Cheney, or some big bad Republican) controls the price of world oil.....get a clue...

I know people in the gas and go business. If one station gets a new load of gas and raises the price because it costs more the rest follow suit even if they have not recieved the higher priced gas yet.
Precisely uscit...and if the price comes down, they don't lower it with the same speed...thus part of the increased profit margins for this small sector of the industry... most of their added profits come elsewhere, in the oil/exploration sectors... from what I have been reading about it...using this same type strategy...raise them quick but wait to lower them...

care

And who was it said that OPEC does not care about the price of oil or need the money ?

Report: Iran's president says oil prices too low

Saturday April 19, 4:51 AM EDT

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's hard-line president declared that crude oil prices, now above $115 a barrel, are too low, state media reported Saturday.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told an oil and gas exhibition in Tehran on Friday that he thought the commodity still had to "discover its real value," according to the Web site of Iran's state-run television.

Oil prices have hit all-time highs above $115 a barrel in recent weeks, amid reports that oil and gasoline reserves in the United States were lower than expected and as the dollar sinks to record lows.

"The oil price of $115 a barrel in today's global markets is a deceiving figure. Oil is a strategic commodity that needs to discover its real value," the Web site quoted Ahmadinejad as saying.

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d904r6o80&date=20080419

Who would have thought Topspin and Ahmadinejad thought so much alike ? :D

Ohh it was bravo who said OPEC did not care about the price of oil or need the money....

Bravo owned by Ahmadinejad, how embaressing....

And who was it said that OPEC does not care about the price of oil or need the money ?

Report: Iran's president says oil prices too low

Saturday April 19, 4:51 AM EDT

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's hard-line president declared that crude oil prices, now above $115 a barrel, are too low, state media reported Saturday.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told an oil and gas exhibition in Tehran on Friday that he thought the commodity still had to "discover its real value," according to the Web site of Iran's state-run television.

Oil prices have hit all-time highs above $115 a barrel in recent weeks, amid reports that oil and gasoline reserves in the United States were lower than expected and as the dollar sinks to record lows.

"The oil price of $115 a barrel in today's global markets is a deceiving figure. Oil is a strategic commodity that needs to discover its real value," the Web site quoted Ahmadinejad as saying.

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d904r6o80&date=20080419

Who would have thought Topspin and Ahmadinejad thought so much alike ? :D

Maybe it needs to be spelled out for you in clearer terms and Ahmadinejad did exactly that.....OIL IS A STRATEGIC COMMODITY...
Understand that important distinction...?

I say again ... Most of these countrys are overflowing with money, they have more than they can spend....

STRATEGIC is the operative word...

something that affords to its possessor an advantage over his opponent....

highly important to or an integral part of a strategy or plan of action especially in war

OIL is now a strategic weapon and its being used against the West and the US in particular by some in the Middle East....

They don't care about making more money, they care about bleeding the West of its money....its not about what more money can buy for them, its about how much damage they can do to the west by draining away our money...Its not about building their economy, its about destroying our economy..there is a difference....

"Bravo owned by Ahmadinejad" ...hardly....

As a matter of fact, he confirms my contention, which you don't even understand...

I don't agree at all, the middle east countries in Opec have become very financially sophisticated. they care a WHOLE lot about making money.
Nothing is stopping them from not selling us any oil Bravo, they in fact it turns out do like our billions.

Did the price of gasoline go down at the pumps with the mega billion dollar tax break/credit we just gave the oil/gas industry that the dems are trying to take away?

Back