Gas prices...

Did the price of gasoline go down at the pumps with the mega billion dollar tax break/credit we just gave the oil/gas industry that the dems are trying to take away?
Same question, other side of the coin.

Will it go up if they take it away?

if you want to lower the price of gas, you INCREASE the tax. that lowers demand, then the price drops.

until production comes down to meet demand. Then slowing production can create a shortage and drive prices up again along with the wonderful tax. Probably takes about 1 or 2 production cycles to reach the new equalibrium. Raising the tax would then have traded a short term reduction is price for an overall gain. Pretty clever.

I don't agree at all, the middle east countries in Opec have become very financially sophisticated. they care a WHOLE lot about making money.
Nothing is stopping them from not selling us any oil Bravo, they in fact it turns out do like our billions.

Under other circumstances Top, I would agree with you.....

but I have come to the conclusion that we should listen carefully to the rants of the fanatics in the Middle East....Ahmadinejad being one of them....
I believe every word of his threats to Israel, threats to US troops in Iraq, and US interests in general....and when he, himself calls oil a strategic commodity, it ain't rocket science to see his meaning....

These countrys were rich and getting richer when oil was $25 a b. and now are swimming in cash with no end in sight.....

You can't believe OPEC nations have JUST become financially sophisticated...
Without Saudi influence in the industry, oil would have been 100 bucks a b. a long time ago....

To Iran and Venezuela, oil is a new and powerful weapon....a nice clean weapon that we don't have.....

WE loaded the oil gun and put in the hands of the middle east.
Now we complain ?
We started down the road of more energy efficiency and such in the 70's and then abandoned that for gas guzzlers and such yet again.

Who do I blame for these terrible gas prices? Global demand has been growing and will continue to grow with a developing and more populated world.

Despite the demand growth of our own Nation, we haven't built a refinery since the 1970s. I blame environmentalists and industry for endless fighting without finding a solution for the American people.

I have supported President Bush in many areas and I voted for him "twice". But I give the President a failing grade in dealing with this energy crisis. On this issue and on his watch oil companies have made criminally sick record profits while Americans struggle to put food on their tables and fuel in their vehicles. He served BIG OIL well.

What ever happened to the Bush promise of building refineries on closed military bases ? I never heard of one action in that direction.

Who do I blame for these terrible gas prices? Global demand has been growing and will continue to grow with a developing and more populated world.

Despite the demand growth of our own Nation, we haven't built a refinery since the 1970s. I blame environmentalists and industry for endless fighting without finding a solution for the American people.

I have supported President Bush in many areas and I voted for him "twice". But I give the President a failing grade in dealing with this energy crisis. On this issue and on his watch oil companies have made criminally sick record profits while Americans struggle to put food on their tables and fuel in their vehicles. He served BIG OIL well.

BIG OIL is people. Wealthy powerful and influential people. So are BIG FOOD people. And BIG CLOTHING people. etc etc. They have provided for the ever growing population---they may have even caused it. What do you suggest we do about them ?

I can only imagine that BIG OIL assisted the President in a course of "do nothing and increase profits". It requires much less investment and you don't have to fight environmentalists and other regulators. The next President (Obama, Clinton, or McCain) will inherit a big mess but will also enjoy a lower bar of success.

Maybe the Government needs to break them down into little oil companies like they did with Big Bell (Communications), creating a lot of little baby bells. Competition has worked in lowering the cost of phone and internet services.

BIG OIL is people. Wealthy powerful and influential people. So are BIG FOOD people. And BIG CLOTHING people. etc etc. They have provided for the ever growing population---they may have even caused it. What do you suggest we do about them ?

Or regulate them like the other utilities were for so long....
And they were favorite stocks to buy while they were regulated.

Dis we ever find out what went on in Cheneys secret energy meetings ?

ENERGY POLICY ACT OF 2005.....

(Packed with bullshit, left-wing, tree-hugger nonsense, ...
Thus....we are where we are in 2008......this crap when we should have been drilling in Alaska and off the shores of our country)

* Authorizes loan guarantees for "innovative technologies" that avoid greenhouse gases, which might include advanced nuclear reactor designs (such as PBMR) as well as clean coal and renewable energy;
* Increases the amount of biofuel (usually ethanol) that must be mixed with gasoline sold in the United States to 4 billion gallons by 2006, 6.1 billion gallons by 2009 and 7.5 billion gallons by 2012[1];
* Seeks to increase coal as an energy source while also reducing air pollution, through authorizing $200 million annually for clean coal initiatives, repealing the current 160-acre cap on coal leases, allowing the advanced payment of royalties from coal mines and requiring an assessment of coal resources on federal lands that are not national parks;
* Authorizes subsidies for wind energy, and other alternative energy producers;
* Adds ocean energy sources including wave power and tidal power for the first time as separately identified renewable technologies;
* Authorizes $50 million annually over the life of the bill for a biomass grant program;
* Contains several provisions aimed at making geothermal energy more competitive with fossil fuels in generating electricity;
* Requires the U.S. Department of Energy to study and report on existing natural energy resources including wind, solar, waves and tides;
* Authorizes the Department of the Interior to develop plans for production, transportation, or transmission of alternative energy resources from Outer Continental Shelf lands (Section 388), including wind, wave or solar power alternatives. [2]
* Requires the U.S. Department of Energy to study and report on national benefits of demand response and make a recommendation on achieving specific levels of benefits and encourages time-based pricing and other forms of demand response as a policy decision;
* Requires all public electric utilities to offer net metering on request to their customers;
* Provides tax breaks for those making energy conservation improvements to their homes;
* Provides incentives to companies drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico;
* Exempts oil and gas producers from certain requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act;
* Extends daylight saving time by four-five weeks, depending upon the year (see below);
* Requires that no drilling for gas or oil may be done in or underneath the Great Lakes;
* Requires that Federal Fleet vehicles capable of operating on alternative fuels be operated on these fuels exclusively (Section 701.)
* Sets federal reliability standards regulating the electrical grid (done in response to the Blackout of 2003);
* Nuclear-specific provisions:[3]

* Extends the Price-Anderson Nuclear Industries Indemnity Act through 2025;
* Authorizes cost-overrun support of up to $2 billion total for up to six new nuclear power plants;
* Authorizes a production tax credit of up to $125 million total per year, estimated at 1.8 US¢/kWh during the first eight years of operation for the first 6.000 MW of capacity[4] ; consistent with renewables;
* Authorizes $1.25 billion for the Department of Energy to build a nuclear reactor to generate both electricity and hydrogen;
* Allows nuclear plant employees and certain contractors to carry firearms;
* Prohibits the sale, export or transfer of nuclear materials and "sensitive nuclear technology" to any state sponsor of terrorist activities;
* Updates tax treatment of decommissioning funds;
* A provision for the U.S. Department of Energy to report in one year on how to dispose of high-level nuclear waste;

* Directs the Secretary of the Interior to complete a programmatic environmental impact statement for a commercial leasing program for oil shale and tar sands resources on public lands with an emphasis on the most geologically prospective lands within each of the states of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming.[5]

In Congressional bills an "authorization" of a discretionary program is a permission to spend money, while an "appropriation" is the actual decision to spend it; none of the authorizations above will mean anything if the money is never appropriated.

Tax reductions by subject area

* $4.3 billion for nuclear power[6]
* $2.8 billion for fossil fuel production
* $2.7 billion to extend the renewable electricity production credit
* $1.6 billion in tax incentives for investments in clean coal facilities
* $1.3 billion for conservation and energy efficiency
* $1.3 billion for alternative motor vehicles and fuels (ethanol, methane, liquified natural gas, propane)

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_Act_of_2005[/ame]

I can only imagine that BIG OIL assisted the President in a course of "do nothing and increase profits". It requires much less investment and you don't have to fight environmentalists and other regulators. The next President (Obama, Clinton, or McCain) will inherit a big mess but will also enjoy a lower bar of success.

I imagine the next pres will have the support of his/her OWN BIG PEOPLE don't you think ? BIG PEOPLE who will make everything fair ?

Graduated H.S. and have a 2yr degree. Still working on a few more classes for my 4 yr degree. Over 20 years Military Service with deployments to all kinds of foriegn lands. A lot of experiences, yet none that help solve our energy problems. But I know many fine Americans with GEDs that get up every day, work hard and do their best to support a family. These fuel costs are painful to me, but they are "brutal" for lower income families.

I imagine the next pres will have the support of his/her OWN BIG PEOPLE don't you think ? BIG PEOPLE who will make everything fair ?

You are probably right about the BIG PEOPLE, but we can only hope the next President will sacrifice personal economic gain, ignore the BIG PEOPLE, and serve the AMERICAN PEOPLE.

That sounds too optimistic, but sometimes hope is all we have. My candidate may or may not win this election. For America's sake, I hope the next President turns out to be the best of our time (Dem or Repub). We need a good one.

that explains why you dont understand the oil business joe. You should continue your education and start investing and reading. You'll change your tune.

No amount of education changes the fact that many Americans are suffering from these gas prices. Education is important and it isn't limited to a classroom. Life experiences are are important as well. Some less fortunate lack higher education and some of the more fortunate lack common sense and compassion. Some do not.

In 2002 as I returned from serving in Germany, I can remember $1.64 a gallon gas. Germans were paying more than three times what we pay (75% of their cost being tax).

Six years later we are paying around $4 a gallon. This is more than just growing competition for resources. Blame can be shared, but the buck stops with the President.

I lean conservative and I have supported President Bush on many issues. Record profits by Oil Companies have come at a cost to those Americans just surviving week to week.

President Bush now sits "powerless" as he has spent the last of his touted political clout. Nothing will change under Bush. Optimism and Hope await a new President. It may be a hope destined for disappointment, but at least it is a hope. For today there is none.

Back