Genesis of Genesis: Where Did the Biblical Story of Creation Come From?

Order out of chaos

Darkness and water

It’s been awhile since I’ve read Joseph Campbell’s comparisons of mythology, those are the two that come to mind.

so the similarity of the Canaan creation story and the Genesis creation story is that it begins before creation?......from the OP....
In the Canaanite myth, God cuts the sea god Yam in two and creates the oceans and the sky. In Genesis 1: “And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters” (1:6).

same = same, right?.....kinda drifts away from commonality after the point if "in the beginning".......

nope.......did he do something in Genesis 4?......

The Ugarit tablets were found there .. They are a thousand years older than the Hebrews.. That's where the Hebrews got Psalms for the Old Testament.

Ugarit (Ras Shamra) - Livius

www.livius.org › Articles › Place

Jun 23, 2017 - Ugarit (Hebrew אוּגָרִית): Bronze Age port in northern Syria, destroyed in the early twelfth century BCE, modern Ras Shamra. Cuneiform tablets illustrate the religion of ancient Canaan, i.e., the gods against which the first Jewish prophets polemicized.

. That's where the Hebrews got Psalms for the Old Testament.
take it up with David.....

I believe out of 140+ Psalms you found a similarity in one verse in one Psalm.......what was it again?....."Praise be to the Lord God"?......

meanwhile I believe we are waiting for you to come up with a parallel between Genesis 1 and.......something?.....

Last edited:
take it up with David.....meanwhile I believe we are waiting for you to come up with a parallel between Genesis 1 and.......something?.....

Why don't you look up Yam Suf.. It means crossing water (chaos) out of ignorance (darkness) to knowledge of God.

If you studied, you would have been aware of the Mythos that preceded the Hebrew creation story.

Why don't you look up Yam Suf.. It means crossing water (chaos) out of ignorance (darkness) to knowledge of God.

If you studied, you would have been aware of the Mythos that preceded the Hebrew creation story.

not my job to document your claims......so far you haven't done very well.....I don't expect you to do any better........

not my job to document your claims......so far you haven't done very well.....I don't expect you to do any better........

Yam is a sea god of the Canaanites.. There is a thread about it.

Yam Suf is the body of water the Israelites crossed to leave Egypt for Egyptian controled Sinai and Cannan.

Yam (god) - New World Encyclopedia

www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Yam_(god)

Jul 31, 2013 - Yam or Yamm, from the ancient Semitic word meaning "sea," is the name of the Canaanite god of rivers and the sea. Yam was also the deity of the primordial chaos. He represented the power of the tempestuous sea untamed and raging. Also called Nahar ("river") he additionally ruled floods and related ...

Litter (vehicle) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litter_(vehicle)

The litter is a class of wheelless vehicles, a type of human-powered transport, for the transport of persons. Examples of litter vehicles include palki or पालकी (India), পালকি (Bangladesh), lectica (ancient Rome), kiệu (Vietnam, 轎), sedan chair (Britain), litera (Spain), palanquin (France, India), jiao (China, 轎), liteira ...

lit·ter box
noun
a box or tray containing granular absorbent material into which a cat can urinate or defecate.

Yam (god) - New World Encyclopedia

www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Yam_(god)

Jul 31, 2013 - Yam or Yamm, from the ancient Semitic word meaning "sea," is the name of the Canaanite god of rivers and the sea. Yam was also the deity of the primordial chaos. He represented the power of the tempestuous sea untamed and raging. Also called Nahar ("river") he additionally ruled floods and related ...

having difficulty giving a fuck.......there is no "god of the sea" in Genesis 1 or any other part of Genesis.....

The Israelites crossed Yam Suf in Exodus .. You do know the Bible wasn't written in English, don't you?

so because the Israelites crossed the Red Sea in Exodus, the Israelites copied Canaanite creation stories in Genesis by NOT referring to a god of the sea?.....

so because the Israelites crossed the Red Sea in Exodus, the Israelites copied Canaanite creation stories in Genesis by NOT referring to a god of the sea?.....

The Exodus is a myth.. but the symbolism is clear. They crossed out of chaos of ignorance into knowlege of God.

The Red Sea is Quite deep and steep.. impossible to cross on foot . You'd have to be a mountain goat.

The Exodus is a myth.. but the symbolism is clear. They crossed out of chaos of ignorance into knowlege of God.

The Red Sea is Quite deep and steep.. impossible to cross on foot . You'd have to be a mountain goat.

your arguments are a myth.....

Back