Genesis of Genesis: Where Did the Biblical Story of Creation Come From?

lol....an offer to let me buy a book is not a link supporting your claims.....you've been quoting it.....you copied pictures.......give us the link....

The excerpts from the link were a promotion and the website no longer exists.

http://www.noahs-ark-flood.com/

The result of this synthesis is a reconstruction of a lost legend about a Sumerian king named Ziusudra who was chief executive of the city-state Shuruppak at the end of the Jemdet Nasr period about 2900 BC.

A six-day thunderstorm caused the Euphrates River to rise 15 cubits, overflow the levees, and flood Shuruppak and a few other cities in Sumer. A few feet of yellow sediment deposited by this river flood is archaeologically attested and artifacts at about this sediment level have been radiocarbon dated.

When the levees overflowed, Ziusudra (Noah) boarded a commercial river barge that had been hauling grain, beer, and other cargo on the Euphrates River.

The barge floated down the river into the Persian (Arabian) Gulf where it grounded in an estuary at the mouth of the river. Ziusudra (Noah) then offered a sacrifice on an altar at the top of a nearby hill which storytellers mistranslated as mountain. This led them to falsely assume that the nearby barge had grounded on top of a mountain. Actually it never came close to a mountain.

Skeptics are correct when they say Noah's flood (as it is commonly understood) could not have happened, because many of the story elements, such as grounding of the ark in the mountains of Ararat, would have been physically impossible.

This book uncovers how the mountains of Ararat got involved in the story (Noah did not go there) and locates the precise spot (within a few meters) of where Noah offered his sacrifice. This is a historical site (not on a mountain) that has already been excavated by archaeologists.

the web site can't be reached but you are pasting from it?.......are you afraid to reveal that your source is just another atheistRUs blog?......

the web site can't be reached but you are pasting from it?.......are you afraid to reveal that your source is just another atheistRUs blog?......

I saved it to a letter I sent a friend several years ago.. back in 2011.

I gave you the Amazon link twice.

In Bahrain.. they have found thousands of tablets.. Many are financial transaction records of trade between Dilmun and Babylon... but others recount the tale of Gilgamesh and other stories from ancient Sumer and Babylon.

The website must have been temporary when they first marketed the book.

Last edited:
http://history-world.org/shuruppak.htm

Sumerian Shuruppak

Shuruppak or modern Tall Fa'rah, is an ancient Sumerian city located south of Nippur in what is now south-central Iraq and originally on the bank of the Euphrates River. Excavations there in the first half of the 20th century uncovered three levels of habitation extending in time from the late prehistoric period to the 3rd dynasty of Ur (c. 2112-2004 BC).

The most distinctive finds were ruins of well-built houses, along with cuneiform tablets with administrative records and lists of words, indicating a highly developed society already in being toward the end of the 4th millennium BC.

Shuruppak was celebrated in Sumerian legend as the scene of the Deluge, which destroyed all humanity except one survivor, Ziusudra. Ziusudra corresponds with Utnapishtim in the Gilgamesh epic and with the biblical Noah.

Shuruppak was celebrated in Sumerian legend as the scene of the Deluge, which destroyed all humanity except one survivor, Ziusudra. Ziusudra corresponds with Utnapishtim in the Gilgamesh epic and with the biblical Noah.

so you are affirming the existence of a disastrous flood?.....

the fact a book is for sale tells me nothing about the validity of sources........

Here's a review.

his book examines six versions of an ancient flood legend (The Ziusudra Epic, The Atrahasis Epic, The Epic of Gilgamesh, Genesis 6-9, The Berossus History, and The Moses of Khoren. The author begins by listing phases and words common to each version, to demonstrate they are related and have a common origin. He then extracts the plausible and possible portions of each legend and removes the mythical (physically impossible or highly improble) elements. He draws upon archeological evidence of actual historical events, sites, and persons, examines early numbering systems, and the various meanings of key words in early written languages. The result: a very realistic, readable, and convincing reconstruction of the flood myth.
The author attributes the Noah story to a six day flood on the Euphrates River, around 2900BC. Noah (Ziusudra, a known king of the Sumerian city-state Shuruppak) and his family are swept down the river into the Persian Gulf on Noah's commercial river barge. They drift for nearly a year and eventually ground in an estuary near the mouth of the river.
This book is the most convincing and plausible account of the Noah legend I have read, or ever expect to read. The author examines every detail of the legend, and shows how mistranslations of key words and phrases led to faulty modern interpretations, such as the ark grounding on Mt. Ararat.
Also included is an analysis of the ages of Noah and the other antediluvians. Again, the author is totally convincing. This book is a scientific "tour de force". The author sifts through a mountain of information and extracts its essence ... what REALLY happened to Noah.
This book should be read by anyone interested in biblical history including (1) creationists, who may be disappointed, (2) those who are wasting their time searching for an ark on Mt. Aratat, (3) advocates of the Black Sea innundation theory, and even (4) biblical skeptics, who will discover the story is not so farfetched as it seems!

The author sifts through a mountain of information and extracts its essence ... what REALLY happened to Noah.

what criteria does he use to limit his choices to what REALLY happened?......does he conclude that most people died in the flood?.....

what criteria does he use to limit his choices to what REALLY happened?......does he conclude that most people died in the flood?.....

No.. according to the Flood sediment it was bad but it was local in the Tigris-Euphrates River Basin... so it would have seemed like their whole world. It was 70 miles wide and 150 miles long towards the Persian Gulf.

Any critical thinker should realize that as the water receded it would have been impossible for a boat to settle on top of a mountain.

Any critical thinker WOULD realize that the reality of ANY flood story was a localized event, as there us no geologic record of a global event. The logistics and engineering of building a true Ark of that size has been shown to be an impossibility. Throw in the feeding an care of such massive numbers of animals, not to mention their ability to co-habitate and you have a very gullible believer. Then there is the gathering and dispersal of said animals, as I’ve pointed out numerous times.

Then, of course, the invention of the rainbow.....

Any critical thinker WOULD realize that the reality of ANY flood story was a localized event, as there us no geologic record of a global event. The logistics and engineering of building a true Ark of that size has been shown to be an impossibility. Throw in the feeding an care of such massive numbers of animals, not to mention their ability to co-habitate and you have a very gullible believer. Then there is the gathering and dispersal of said animals, as I’ve pointed out numerous times.

Then, of course, the invention of the rainbow.....

LOLOL...

He said he went to law school.. You are supposed to hone your critical thinking skills in the study of law.

LOLOL...

He said he went to law school.. You are supposed to hone your critical thinking skills in the study of law.

Naw. I’ve worked with many dozens of lawyers through the years. For the most part, everything is by rote. Boilerplate forms and letters. Just fill in the blanks. I can’t tell you how many I had to babysit through their own cases.

Pimple is nothing more than some of these “scholars” they quote. They have their Biblical view of the world, which they NEED to be true, then they seek to wrap everything else - geology, geography, physics, engineering, genetics, archaeology, etc. - around that “truth”.

No.. according to the Flood sediment it was bad but it was local in the Tigris-Euphrates River Basin... so it would have seemed like their whole world. It was 70 miles wide and 150 miles long towards the Persian Gulf.

wrong flood then....

Back