"God is dead"

Cypress

“God Is Dead”—Nietzsche and Christianity

Friedrich Nietzsche famously announced that “God is Dead.” This is by no means merely a thesis about religion and religious belief. It relates to the whole mind-set of the West, the insistence on Eternity, the obsession with unity and coherence, the demands for predictability and justice in a world that is neither predictable or just. Nietzsche argues it is possible, is to rid ourselves of the pathologies of guilt and sin.

1. Nietzsche disliked some things about Christianity, particularly what Kierkegaard calls “Christendom,” the Christian mob.
2. Nietzsche admired those exceptional Christians (including Jesus) who really lived what they claimed to believe in.
3. He objected to the hypocritical and self-righteous attitudes that some Christians take toward their religious beliefs.

Nietzsche rejected Christianity, but he also accepted it as a necessary step in human evolution. It served an important historical function:
1. Nietzsche praised the spirituality of Christianity.
2. He saw the original teaching of Jesus as having been perverted by the Church.

Nietzsche declared war on the concepts of guilt and sin. Like Freud, he finds guilt and sin psychologically debilitating.

Nietzsche did retain the notion of conscience:
1. Nietzsche did not give up spirituality but transformed it.
2. Nietzsche wants to return us to a state of innocence, as opposed to guilt.
3. He wants to return us to self-esteem, after science has shown us that we are not the center of the universe or the pinnacle of nature.
4. Nietzsche calls for a spirituality of this world.

Source credit: Professor Robert C. Solomon, University of Texas at Austin

“God Is Dead”—Nietzsche and Christianity

Friedrich Nietzsche famously announced that “God is Dead.” This is by no means merely a thesis about religion and religious belief. It relates to the whole mind-set of the West, the insistence on Eternity, the obsession with unity and coherence, the demands for predictability and justice in a world that is neither predictable or just. Nietzsche argues it is possible, is to rid ourselves of the pathologies of guilt and sin.

1. Nietzsche disliked some things about Christianity, particularly what Kierkegaard calls “Christendom,” the Christian mob.
2. Nietzsche admired those exceptional Christians (including Jesus) who really lived what they claimed to believe in.
3. He objected to the hypocritical and self-righteous attitudes that some Christians take toward their religious beliefs.

Nietzsche rejected Christianity, but he also accepted it as a necessary step in human evolution. It served an important historical function:
1. Nietzsche praised the spirituality of Christianity.
2. He saw the original teaching of Jesus as having been perverted by the Church.

Nietzsche declared war on the concepts of guilt and sin. Like Freud, he finds guilt and sin psychologically debilitating.

Nietzsche did retain the notion of conscience:
1. Nietzsche did not give up spirituality but transformed it.
2. Nietzsche wants to return us to a state of innocence, as opposed to guilt.
3. He wants to return us to self-esteem, after science has shown us that we are not the center of the universe or the pinnacle of nature.
4. Nietzsche calls for a spirituality of this world.

Source credit: Professor Robert C. Solomon, University of Texas at Austin

Attributed to Nietzsche. But he got it from Hegel. What Hegel meant is that the history of God went from meaning everything to nothing.

"2. Nietzsche admired those exceptional Christians (including Jesus) who really lived what they claimed to believe in."

This seems false.

I did not know that.
I am making it a project to learn about Nietzsche

"It [the unhappy consciousness] is the consciousness of the loss of all essential being in this certainty of itself, and of the loss even of this knowledge about itself--
the loss of substance [Substanz ] as well as of the self, it is the grief which expresses itself in the harsh saying that ‘God is dead’"

Hegel, Phenomenology of Spirit; ( PG 3:547/455)

"It [the unhappy consciousness] is the consciousness of the loss of all essential being in this certainty of itself, and of the loss even of this knowledge about itself--
the loss of substance [Substanz ] as well as of the self, it is the grief which expresses itself in the harsh saying that ‘God is dead’"

I thought I heard you say that you are leaving...

WHEN?

Do you think Hegel was an atheist?

I was under the impression he presented some unconventional hybrid of idealism, Christianity, and spirit.

DOnald Trump even SHIT-STAINED CHRISTIANITY!

No one will ever look at Christians in the same light ever again!

DONALD TRUMP DESTROYS EVERYTHING HE TOUCHES!

Osnos-Protests.jpg

Hegel is a tough one for me to get my head around; to me his intellectual thought is esoteric and diffuse. I can grasp the basics of Plato, Locke, Kant, Nietzsche, et al., but I think Hegel might be out of my league.

Hegel is an intuitive writer. That may sound false or comical but that is how I read him.

I will report you for stalking if you persist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Jesus

However Nietzsche did not demur of Jesus, saying he was the "only one true Christian". He presented a Christ whose own inner life consisted of "blessedness in peace, in gentleness, in the inability for enmity". There is much criticism by Nietzsche of the organized institution of Christianity and its class of priests. Christ's evangelism consisted of the good news that the kingdom of God is within you.[36] "What are the 'glad tidings'? True life, eternal life is found—it is not promised, it is here, it is within you: as life lived in love.... 'Sin', every kind of distancing relationship between God and man, is abolished - precisely this is the 'glad tidings'. The 'glad tidings' are precisely that there are no more opposites...."

Back