"God is dead"

Awesome. Thanks. I was referencing the OP, but your input is sincerely appreciated.

IMO, do you think he's equating the Catholic Church with "God"? I'm not so sure myself. OTOH, it could be like the Buddhist "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him" philosophy. I lean towards the latter. You?

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1785326
In the ninth century, the Buddhist sage Lin Chi told a monk, "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." He meant that those who think they've found all the answers in any religion need to start questioning

Nietzsche's father was a minister and he certainly understood religion. Nietzsche seems to be a straightforward atheist.

Nietzsche's father was a minister and he certainly understood religion. Nietzsche seems to be a straightforward atheist.

How do you define atheist? Disbelieving a greater, spiritual power or disbelieving any existence beyond the mortal?

Are Buddhists atheists? Have you ever asked one if he was? It depends upon your definition of atheist. My definition is atheists deny existence beyond the physical. Anyone who believes in a spiritual existence and calls themselves an atheist is an idiot who needs to get off the computer and get out more.

And a little bit of an angry ex Christian

It was a needed development for mankind

But like any and all thing falls to the 4% of mankind who are sociopaths

All things good are torn asunder

Time we learn to one up the dastardly 4% and stop them BEFORE they start tearing

How do you define atheist? Disbelieving a greater, spiritual power or disbelieving any existence beyond the mortal?

Are Buddhists atheists? Have you ever asked one if he was? It depends upon your definition of atheist. My definition is atheists deny existence beyond the physical. Anyone who believes in a spiritual existence and calls themselves an atheist is an idiot who needs to get off the computer and get out more.

On this message board "atheist" is usually conflated with rejection of the Abrahamic god, the Judeo-Christian God.

But I agree with you that when you start considering the religions of East Asia, South Asia, animist traditions of indigenous people of Africa and the Americas, it gets challenging to define what is really meant by atheism.

Sometimes you have to go back to the definition of the time

I’m not sure if it has evolved

Are there major atheistic societies in the past? Perhaps the same percentage as atheists in the present population?:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/12/06/10-facts-about-atheists/
  1. The share of Americans who identify as atheists has increased modestly but significantly in the past decade. Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019 show that 4% of American adults say they are atheists when asked about their religious identity, up from 2% in 2009. An additional 5% of Americans call themselves agnostics, up from 3% a decade ago.
    [*]
    [*]The literal definition of “atheist” is “a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods,” according to Merriam-Webster. And the vast majority of U.S. atheists fit this description: 81% say they do not believe in God or a higher power or in a spiritual force of any kind. (Overall, 10% of American adults share this view.) At the same time, roughly one-in-five self-described atheists (18%) say they do believe in some kind of higher power. None of the atheists we surveyed, however, say they believe in “God as described in the Bible.”

BTW, despite the erroneous claims of certain atheists, "religiously unaffiliated" doesn't equal atheist. Atheists are "disbelievers" which means they have faith something doesn't exist without evidence their disbelief is true. The only purely logical, and honest, group in the entire spectrum are Agnostics.

On this message board "atheist" is usually conflated with rejection of the Abrahamic god, the Judeo-Christian God.

But I agree with you that when you start considering the religions of East Asia, South Asia, animist traditions of indigenous people of Africa and the Americas, it gets challenging to define what is really meant by atheism.

An all knowing and all seeing god that runs all that exists

That is my personal definition that made me check the atheist box

There is no ONE power that controls all of existence

It’s a dance of powers

Are there major atheistic societies in the past? Perhaps the same percentage as atheists in the present population?:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/12/06/10-facts-about-atheists/
  1. The share of Americans who identify as atheists has increased modestly but significantly in the past decade. Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019 show that 4% of American adults say they are atheists when asked about their religious identity, up from 2% in 2009. An additional 5% of Americans call themselves agnostics, up from 3% a decade ago.
    [*]
    [*]The literal definition of “atheist” is “a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods,” according to Merriam-Webster. And the vast majority of U.S. atheists fit this description: 81% say they do not believe in God or a higher power or in a spiritual force of any kind. (Overall, 10% of American adults share this view.) At the same time, roughly one-in-five self-described atheists (18%) say they do believe in some kind of higher power. None of the atheists we surveyed, however, say they believe in “God as described in the Bible.”

BTW, despite the erroneous claims of certain atheists, "religiously unaffiliated" doesn't equal atheist. Atheists are "disbelievers" which means they have faith something doesn't exist without evidence their disbelief is true. The only purely logical, and honest, group in the entire spectrum are Agnostics.

We may never know

Christians often killed people before they understood their cultures fully

Some cultures were never engaged by the wider world and took their course to non existence without being recorded by anyone

An all knowing and all seeing god that runs all that exists

That is my personal definition that made me check the atheist box

There is no ONE power that controls all of existence

It’s a dance of powers
An early May the Fourth Be With You!

My beliefs align more with Thomas Jefferson's on the God thing.

3fc2c364c28dcbb91069a1d034133ece.jpg

What book by Nietzsche gave you spiritual inspiration? Please share.
there is a lot to be said for the premise of making one's life a creative work of art, rather than investing energy in a socially/religiously constructed and conformist approach which dominated the 19th century.

Do you think Hegel was an atheist?
I was under the impression he presented some unconventional hybrid of idealism, Christianity, and spirit.
Oh, and, read the OP. I just recently got started on Nietzsche and find him very spiritual.

We may never know

Christians often killed people before they understood their cultures fully

Some cultures were never engaged by the wider world and took their course to non existence without being recorded by anyone

Ahh, of course. I should have known you'd already identified all of those at fault and are now seeking to persecute them. How silly of me to forget. :)

Lemme guess, they were all White Slaver Christians too, eh? Probably with beards and spoke with Southern accents?

OTOH, if you believe that Christians have not proved to be much better, if any, than the fucking barbarians who preceded them, then I agree that there are too many who aren't any better.

Back