Good news. Robber shot dead by legally armed clerk

The trolling here is awful. No one ever takes the bait.

You seem to have lost brand appeal. People still rise to CChild and some of the other trolls. Hell, I argue with Asshate all the time. I think we now just read it, laugh/get majorly offended and move on, but I still think its worthwhile trolling.

:thup:

YAY EVER1 SOMEONE DIED LOL!

This is why I think the right is the most evil, disgusting, stomach emptying mass of animals to ever walk the Earth.
Somebody wasn't victimized by another who planned on violence to take from them. If your <insert female relative here> was about to be raped, would you prefer they do what is necessary to avoid being a victim, or would you prefer they do nothing, be a victim, and ensure that the attacker lived?

Somebody wasn't victimized by another who planned on violence to take from them. If your <insert female relative here> was about to be raped, would you prefer they do what is necessary to avoid being a victim, or would you prefer they do nothing, be a victim, and ensure that the attacker lived?

I think that this man deserves the death penalty?

I think that this man deserves the death penalty?
What if that is what it takes to stop him from hurting <insert female relative here>?

Now, while karma visited him very quickly after his person's action. It isn't the person who defended themselves and kept themselves from being a victim who was in the wrong.

I think the clerk deserves a parade. But if he worked for me I would fire him. If he had shot at the robber and hit a patron by mistake, it would have bankrupted the owner. The 7-11 corp has a standing policy of non-interference with robbers. If you fight with them, try to be a hero, any of that you are gone. They don't want the liability.

There was a grocery store in Topeka Kansas that had a manager and two clerks beat a shoplifter so bad he had a permenant brain injury. It cost the chain 2.7 million dollars (upheld on appeal).

I think the clerk deserves a parade. But if he worked for me I would fire him. If he had shot at the robber and hit a patron by mistake, it would have bankrupted the owner. The 7-11 corp has a standing policy of non-interference with robbers. If you fight with them, try to be a hero, any of that you are gone. They don't want the liability.

There was a grocery store in Topeka Kansas that had a manager and two clerks beat a shoplifter so bad he had a permenant brain injury. It cost the chain 2.7 million dollars (upheld on appeal).

A shoplifter? Unarmed?

I am pretty certain that the "shoot first" law in Florida provides civil immunity against you killing or injuring innocent bystanders.

Now, while karma visited him very quickly after his person's action. It isn't the person who defended themselves and kept themselves from being a victim who was in the wrong.

There is no such thing as karma and death isn't "eye for an eye" for robbery anyway, if you are literally trying to justify this as punishment.

There is no such thing as karma and death isn't "eye for an eye" for robbery anyway, if you are literally trying to justify this as punishment.
It isn't "punishment" it was the option available to the clerk to keep himself from being a victim.

Do you believe that inaction would be better? Do you know what it feels like to be held at gunpoint?

It isn't "punishment" it was the option available to the clerk to keep himself from being a victim.

Do you believe that inaction would be better? Do you know what it feels like to be held at gunpoint?

Well pulling out a gun is far more likely to get you killed in a robbery anyway. The only sensible option during a robbery is to comply. It would be far more traumatizing for me to murder someone than to have a gun pointed at me, and it would be far more traumatizing for my family to have me shot dead because I wanted to prove how much of a man I was.

Well pulling out a gun is far more likely to get you killed in a robbery anyway. The only sensible option during a robbery is to comply. It would be far more traumatizing for me to murder someone than to have a gun pointed at me, and it would be far more traumatizing for my family to have me shot dead because I wanted to prove how much of a man I was.
It really depends. Sometimes more than just gunpoint happens and compliance nets you even more pain.

Using inane standard zero tolerance replies will make the person who is tied up over the back of the chair with their pants down and getting pistol whipped wish they had taken the bat out and beat the guy's brain in when they had the chance.

Most times the best option is simply to hand over the cash. But if the robber doesn't take it and go, continued compliance can be deadly.

At the gas stations that I managed after I got out of the Navy we had the policy of "hand over the cash". However we had videos of what happened afterward if the person decides to stay longer than is necessary to simply rob you.

It really depends. Sometimes more than just gunpoint happens and compliance nets you even more pain.

Using inane standard zero tolerance replies will make the person who is tied up over the back of the chair with their pants down and getting pistol whipped wish they had taken the bat out and beat the guy's brain in when they had the chance.

Most times the best option is simply to hand over the cash. But if the robber doesn't take it and go, continued compliance can be deadly.

At the gas stations that I managed after I got out of the Navy we had the policy of "hand over the cash". However we had videos of what happened afterward if the person decides to stay longer than is necessary to simply rob you.

Well Damo, in any case, you have just ruined a good round of trolling.

According to who's index? Usually they claim dollars spent = quality, which ain't the case. Besides, MA is where I got edumacted (all 12 years plus college) and my son, educated here, scored higher on the PSAT then I did when I was his age. He also scored higher then any of his cousins who are in MA.

so your son is smarter than you. No big suprise there.

so your son is smarter than you. No big suprise there.

I think we'd all like to see our offspring become smarter than us. Sadly, this will not be the case with my father and I, but he still has a daughter and another son to make him proud. I'm just the middle child anyhow...

WORCESTER— Evan L. Rivera was holding a .357-magnum handgun to the stomach of the brother of liquor store owner Robert Varderesian when Mr. Varderesian opened fire on Mr. Rivera, fatally shooting him, according to police.

Mr. Rivera and an alleged accomplice, who remained at large yesterday, entered Big Bob’s Liquors just after 10 Wednesday night with the intention of robbing the 4 Richmond Ave. business, police said.

Detective Capt. Edward J. McGinn Jr. confirmed yesterday that Mr. Varderesian was the shooter in the attempted robbery of his business. He said Mr. Rivera was shot multiple times after he held a gun to the abdomen of Mr. Varderesian’s brother, who was also in the store at the time.

The other would-be robber fled the shop and was the target of an extensive manhunt Wednesday by city and state police. Mr. Rivera, 40, with a last known address of 128 Lincoln St., was taken by ambulance to UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus, where he was pronounced dead at 10:48 p.m. Wednesday.

Mr. Varderesian was interviewed at police headquarters and is properly licensed to carry and possess a firearm, police said.Area residents, business owners and local clerks yesterday said the West Side neighborhood is a nice place to live, and people who know Mr. Varderesian said he’s integral to the community.

Big Bob’s borders a residential neighborhood, and customers on their way home from work have grown used to stopping by for a bottle of wine, a pack of cigarettes or some sunflower seeds. Most of the time they are greeted by Mr.Varderesian behind the counter of the small storefront.

Many of the customers are familiar with the store clerks, some of whom pass the time watching movies on a small television. Horror movies, they said, seem to be a favorite.

Mr. Varderesian, 33, is a constant presence behind the crowded counter, seemingly there from opening to closing.

The store was dark yesterday. It usually opens at 9 a.m. There was little evidence of a shooting other than a large trash can placed in front of the counter, where a large stain remained. There were no bullet holes visible in the refrigerated soft-drink case a short way across from the counter.

“This isn’t a bring-a-gun-to-work neighborhood,” said Michael Schaffer, who co-owns the nearby Corner Grille, at 806 Pleasant St. The pizza restaurant is across the street from Big Bob’s.

“Bob’s a great guy,” Mr. Schaffer said. “He works hard every day.”

Mr. Schaffer closed the restaurant at 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, and left about 20 minutes later. The attempted armed robbery took place about 20 minutes after that. Mr. Schaffer lives a block and a half from the typically quiet area, and he said a friend phoned him to tell him about the shooting. Mr. Schaffer said the neighborhood was flooded with police who were searching for the suspect, who fled on foot. Mr. Schaffer said he turned on a police radio and heard that the suspect may have dropped his sweatshirt.

“I saw the floodlights from my backyard,” Mr. Schaffer said. He said there were police dogs searching. Mr. Schaffer said, “I bolted the doors. This kind of thing never happens in this neighborhood. This is a very quiet, nice neighborhood.”

Edison Filaj was one of many who stopped by Express Yourself Coffee, next door to the liquor store, yesterday morning. Word had spread fast through the neighborhood about the shooting and subsequent search.

“This is too bad; this is a nice neighborhood,” Mr. Filaj said.

The Varderesian brothers were born in Armenia, according to naturalization documents on file in City Hall.

Mr. Varderesian can watch his customers as they walk into the liquor store from behind the crowded counter, which is only feet away from the door on Richmond Avenue. A surveillance video camera can focus on whoever walks into the store.

Maureen Mitchell checked out a steady stream of customers at the Honey Farms farther up Pleasant Street yesterday afternoon. A few scratch tickets here, a pack of cigarettes there.

Like many clerks at convenience stores and gas stations in the city, she said she had been robbed within the past few years. She was not injured, although she said the robber brandished a gun. Still, she said she was not quite sure how to feel about what happened at Big Bob’s.

On one hand, she said, she felt clerks have a right to defend themselves. She said she works a lot of 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. shifts, and sometimes she feels vulnerable.

“We have nothing,” Ms. Mitchell said. “We need some type of protection. Every time you come to work it’s a risk.”

But she said she was not without sympathy for Mr. Rivera.

“I have very mixed emotions,” Ms. Mitchell said. “But I am a mother, too.”

At 1128 Pleasant St. yesterday, at the corner of Chandler Street, it was gas-filling and convenience store shopping as usual at the Thomas Energy Center.

Clerk Kamal Armanious said that if a robber came into the store demanding money, he would give it to him and call police. He said that line of thinking worked out for another clerk at the store last month, after a woman robbed the station a week after robbing the Sovereign Bank branch across the street. He said the clerk let the woman get away with cash.

“She talked to police, she identified her, and they caught her,” Mr. Armanious said.

An employee at the Getty station on Park Avenue also had a run-in with two would-be robbers last month. Two men entered the store in the early evening Nov. 6 and tried to buy cigarettes. They didn’t complete the transaction, however, and came back later, asking the clerk where the money was. The clerk brandished a bat and ordered the men out of the store.

Proprietor Gaby Shabo said yesterday that the Nov. 6 incident, along with another attempt Halloween night, were the only two times the station has been robbed in the 17 years it has been in his family. “We’ve been blessed,” Mr. Shabo said.

He said he worries that now that the Dunkin’ Donuts has been torn down across the street, the darkened area could make the station more vulnerable to robberies. He said he feels the slumping economy is playing a role.

“Ten years ago, I would have just said it was crackheads or something,” Mr. Shabo said of the attempted robbery at his store. “Now, you don’t know. It could be someone trying to feed their kids.”

He said he knows Mr. Varderesian, but has not spoken with him since the shooting. He said Mr. Varderesian is a good guy. He said he couldn’t say what he would do in the same situation, but taking someone’s life is something a person has to live with.

Authorities believe Mr. Rivera was responsible for a recent spree of brazen holdups in the region, including in Fitchburg and Auburn.

“Because of the aggressive nature in these cases, we’re pretty confident they were related,” said Worcester Police Sgt. Kerry F. Hazelhurst.

Mr. Rivera had at least one run-in with Worcester authorities. In 2007, he was charged with cocaine trafficking. In March, he was placed on probation on a reduced charge of cocaine distribution. At the time, authorities said Mr. Rivera had a criminal background that included a lengthy sentence in Florida for two counts of armed robbery. According to a spokesman with the Florida Department of Corrections, Mr. Rivera was in prison in Miami Dade County from June 15, 1989, through Aug. 5, 2002.

Fitchburg police have been comparing notes with Worcester detectives about a string of robberies in Fitchburg. On Nov. 24, two men, one of them with a handgun, robbed Sullivan’s Package Store on River Street. On Nov. 28 in Fitchburg, there were armed holdups at JV’s Package and Variety Store on Fairmount and Michele’s Variety on Water Street.

Auburn Police Chief Andrew J. Sluckis Jr. said he believes Mr. Rivera was responsible for a pair of armed robberies at Auburn Package Store, 196 Auburn St. One happened Saturday and the other Nov. 7.

According to the chief, in both cases the robber showed a handgun and had an accomplice.

“In the robberies that we believed he was involved in, he made no attempt whatsoever to conceal his identity and he did threaten the store personnel with a gun,” Chief Sluckis said. “Because of the fact that he wasn’t trying to hide his identity, we were very concerned that if we encountered him, that there may have been a potential shoot-out with him.”

Several people congregated at Mr. Varderesian’s house in Worcester yesterday. They declined to comment on the shooting. Reached by cell phone, his brother, listed in city records as the store manager, said neither he nor his brother would discuss the case.

Mr. Varderesian had tried to purchase Bancroft Liquor Store, 62-64 Franklin St., and wanted to relocate it to 945 West Boylston St. The License Commission denied the application in 2007 because, according to the commission, there are adequate liquor stores in the West Boylston Street area, according to documents. His brother applied to the state Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission in 2007 for a change of manager at the Richmond Avenue store because Robert was planning to manage the new store if it had been approved.

Steven H. Foskett Jr. and Michael Elfland of the Telegram & Gazette Staff contributed to this report.
http://telegram.com/article/20081212/NEWS/812120693/1116

Last edited:
Back