Great atheists on the meaning & purpose of life

As I said, that’s a subjective concept. My opinion is yes, in general, we have.
no it isn't.

morality is simply refraining from human on human predations, and using other humans as allies and facilitators instead of foes to be defeated, as darwinism prompts us to believe.

that's why the Nazi population reducers hate actual morality and love war, they want us to kill each other.

they're sick freaks.

And yes, I pray for them.

"Jean Paule Sartre believe that human existence is the result of chance or accident. There is no meaning or purpose of his life other than what his freedom creates , therefore, he must rely on his own resources."

https://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Cont/ContBhan.htm#:~:text=Sartre believe that human existence,rely on his own resources.

Sartre seems to believe in a kind of ultimate freedom where we are free to make choices and choose our future based on individual experience completely independent of convention, expectation, or cultural coercion.

The noteworthy atheist Christopher Hitchens didn't exactly explain what, if any, purpose and meaning there is in life. But he stated that a life that partakes in friendship, love, parenthood, music, literature cannot be called meaningless.

https://excellencereporter.com/2019/12/25/christopher-hitchens-on-the-meaning-of-life/

The noteworthy atheist Christopher Hitchens didn't exactly explain what, if any, purpose and meaning there is in life. But he stated that a life that partakes in friendship, love, parenthood, music, literature cannot be called meaningless.
Whether it should or not is a matter of opinion,
but there's no question that it can and sometimes is.

Whether it should or not is a matter of opinion,
but there's no question that it can and sometimes is.
My only critique of what Hitchens said, is it seems remarkably shallow for someone who is reputed to be a great thinker.

People serving in North Korean prison camps don't have access to family, music, literature. They are typically denied access to love, romance, children. Are we really supposed to tell these people their life is meaningless?

My only critique of what Hitchens said, is it seems remarkably shallow for someone who is reputed to be a great thinker.

People serving in North Korean prison camps don't have access to family, music, literature. They are typically denied access to love, romance, children. Are we really supposed to tell these people their life is meaningless?
That would depend on what kind of meaning one would attribute to a life
that's obviously a net-negative experience for the unfortunate soul living it.

Even if a life is deliriously privileged and joyful, however, if it's a random manifestation as it could very well be,
what's the meaning of even that?

My belief is that in order for humanity to make the effort to survive,
we have to be genetically programmed to believe life has meaning.
That, in and of itself, though, is not clear proof that it does.

no it isn't.

morality is simply refraining from human on human predations, and using other humans as allies and facilitators instead of foes to be defeated, as darwinism prompts us to believe.

that's why the Nazi population reducers hate actual morality and love war, they want us to kill each other.

they're sick freaks.

And yes, I pray for them.
I’m sure prayer gives you all sorts of warm and fuzzy feelings. Great. Go for it. As for its efficacy, it’s worthless.

Darwinism has nothing to do with morality.

I’m sure prayer gives you all sorts of warm and fuzzy feelings. Great. Go for it. As for its efficacy, it’s worthless.

Darwinism has nothing to do with morality.
except that morality is actually man's greatest triumph over the animal kingdom, and you're trying to take that achievement away, because you're of a base animal and violent nature.

and your goal isn't human thriving; your goal is depopulation.

except that morality is actually man's greatest triumph over the animal kingdom, and you're trying to take that achievement away, because you're of a base animal and violent nature.

and your goal isn't human thriving; your goal is depopulation.
Jesus fucking Christ, man, get a grip. “Base animal and violent nature”? What the fuck orifice did you pull that from? You having no fucking clue what my “goal” is, whatever that even means.

This kind of babbling is what I mean about you fucking “Christians” twisting your theology and dogma to espouse your higher “morality”. You fucks have no corner on morality. There are those in the animal kingdom that have a greater sense of kindness and acceptance than you do.

That would depend on what kind of meaning one would attribute to a life
that's obviously a net-negative experience for the unfortunate soul living it.

Even if a life is deliriously privileged and joyful, however, if it's a random manifestation as it could very well be,
what's the meaning of even that?

My belief is that in order for humanity to make the effort to survive,
we have to be genetically programmed to believe life has meaning.
That, in and of itself, though, is not clear proof that it does.
Victor Frankel and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote eloquently about finding meaning, even in Aushwitz, or the Gulag.

I'd like to see some kind of philosophy about purpose and meaning in life that can speak to everyone, not just to people who can visit museums, attend concerts, have children, donate to the spotted owl fund, etc.

Jesus fucking Christ, man, get a grip. “Base animal and violent nature”? What the fuck orifice did you pull that from? You having no fucking clue what my “goal” is, whatever that even means.

This kind of babbling is what I mean about you fucking “Christians” twisting your theology and dogma to espouse your higher “morality”. You fucks have no corner on morality. There are those in the animal kingdom that have a greater sense of kindness and acceptance than you do.
your goal is population reduction.

you hate humans. this fact compromises your every utterance.

you seek dehumanization through demoralization.

Enjoy the hate!

Enjoy the idiocy.

You are free to do as you like, drink, gamble, use drugs, pretend to be a woman, etc.

You have NO right to have others celebrate your debauchery. You have no right to foist your vices onto other people's children.

You have no rational basis to defend your position.

Enjoy the idiocy.

You are free to do as you like, drink, gamble, use drugs, pretend to be a woman, etc.

You have NO right to have others celebrate your debauchery. You have no right to foist your vices onto other people's children.

You have no rational basis to defend your position.

You weren't talking about accepting. You were comparing gay people to alcoholics.

You weren't talking about accepting. You were comparing gay people to alcoholics.

I don't need to "accept" your vices.

Most of them are stupid and destructive. Where did you get the idea that OTHERS must accept your deficiency?

You have the RIGHT to do anything you want as an adult - provided it doesn't harm others. You do NOT have the right for my approval, acceptance, and certainly not my praise.

If you take pride of being drunk and crawling in a gutter, you're a fucking retard and you have my contempt - which is all you deserve. If you take pride in sucking another mans cock, then you have a pathetic life with zero accomplishments.

is that what satan told you?
Oh no the goyims Satan 🤪 :eek:

He (Satan) is clearly subordinate to God, a member of His suite (Heb. Bene ha-elokim), who is unable to act without his permission. Nowhere is he in any sense a rival of God. The Encyclopedia Judaica The Christian claim that it was Satan who created evil is utterly fraudulent according to our Tanach: I (God) form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Isaiah 45:7 God creates all things, not simply good things. There isn't a single verse in the entire Tanach that states that Satan ever created evil or ever disobeyed a command from God. Satan is an obedient servant of God in the Tanach who serves the role of man's accuser in God's court.

Oh no the goyims Satan 🤪 :eek:

He (Satan) is clearly subordinate to God, a member of His suite (Heb. Bene ha-elokim), who is unable to act without his permission. Nowhere is he in any sense a rival of God. The Encyclopedia Judaica The Christian claim that it was Satan who created evil is utterly fraudulent according to our Tanach: I (God) form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Isaiah 45:7 God creates all things, not simply good things. There isn't a single verse in the entire Tanach that states that Satan ever created evil or ever disobeyed a command from God. Satan is an obedient servant of God in the Tanach who serves the role of man's accuser in God's court.
that;s the Jewish belief.

I'm a Christian.

Satan hates humanity because God loves them.

Back