Gun Monkey Follies: arming teachers

Here's someone born and bred in the state who is now pointing something incredibly stupid being done by his local government ... but it might as well be every state in the USA. Check it out:

Great, so now in addition to requiring extra education, licensing, a probationary period, meeting test requirements, mediocre pay at best, benefits defined at the whim of politicians, and constant criticism and blame by talking heads, Tennessee want the teachers to be packing

Welcome to teaching in MAGA America

Great, so now in addition to requiring extra education, licensing, a probationary period, meeting test requirements, mediocre pay at best, benefits defined at the whim of politicians, and constant criticism and blame by talking heads, Tennessee want the teachers to be packing

Teachers who want to teach are going to teach regardless...so let us teach and worry about it...

Teachers who want to teach are going to teach regardless...so let us teach and worry about it...

Would you be OK with being tasked with being armed with a deadly weapon while you teach elementary school? I think it would be kind of a distraction.

We shouldn't have to let the teachers worry about adapting to being armed and willing to kill someone at a moment's notice. We should be able to let them teach.

Ah, no, quite the contrary:

“Teacher shortages continue to plague US: 86% of public schools struggle to hire educators,” (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-2023-us-schools-struggle-hiring/71208579007/)

In fact, some States are beginning to cut teacher education requirements just to fill the classrooms, and who blames them, teaching in America sucks right now and probably isn’t going to get any better

“Teacher shortages continue to plague US: 86% of public schools struggle to hire educators,” (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-2023-us-schools-struggle-hiring/71208579007/)

In fact, some States are beginning to cut teacher education requirements just to fill the classrooms, and who blames them, teaching in America sucks right now and probably isn’t going to get any better
Exactly...teachers who Want to teach will...So let them know you'll support them and let them teach...That's what's missing... Darn right there's a shortage...very sad...

It's not a problem...nipped it in the bud, so to say....

By making it illegal for teachers to bring books into schools. Florida is so afraid of books, they have made it illegal for teachers to bring them into schools. And then they say they want teachers to bring guns into schools?

So explain to me how books are more dangerous than guns?

Would you be OK with being tasked with being armed with a deadly weapon while you teach elementary school? I think it would be kind of a distraction.

We shouldn't have to let the teachers worry about adapting to being armed and willing to kill someone at a moment's notice. We should be able to let them teach.
I taught MS and HS...and never thought twice about it...but I would prefer not to have to be armed... (I definitely agree with letting us teach...)
However, if it was required, or suggested, to carry, I'd deal with it... and not be distracted...I'd prefer to let law enforcement handle it, of course...Kind of like at home...

By making it illegal for teachers to bring books into schools. Florida is so afraid of books, they have made it illegal for teachers to bring them into schools. And then they say they want teachers to bring guns into schools?

So explain to me how books are more dangerous than guns?
It's not illegal for teachers to bring books to school...why do you keep saying that? I gifted my students with books all the time...I still gift students with books...

Nothing requires them to carry a gun, Sybil.

Oh...and guns DID make America Great. They also made the United States possible.

So instead you would rather have no effective challenge to a mass shooter in the school. Gotit. You want innocent children murdered.
Carrying a gun does not prevent anyone from teaching, Sock.

It's not illegal for teachers to bring books to school...why do you keep saying that? I gifted my students with books all the time...I still gift students with books...

You list yourself as a "retired teacher".

Anyway, it is illegal to allow students access to books that have not been approved Florida Department of Education. That means if you were a teacher in Florida, and were giving out books, you would be committing a crime.

Yet you think being 'educated' makes you an expert.

You are locked in another paradox, Sybil. You cannot argue both side of a paradox.

Back