Gun Monkey Follies: arming teachers

You list yourself as a "retired teacher".

Anyway, it is illegal to allow students access to books that have not been approved Florida Department of Education. That means if you were a teacher in Florida, and were giving out books, you would be committing a crime.

I am a retired teacher... Teachers in Florida can give out books... Text books have to be approved...Why not all books ? Nothing wrong with that at all... If a student wants a book that is not approved by the system their parent can buy it for them..

By making it illegal for teachers to bring books into schools. Florida is so afraid of books, they have made it illegal for teachers to bring them into schools. And then they say they want teachers to bring guns into schools?

So explain to me how books are more dangerous than guns?

Florida has passed no such law, Sybil. You are hallucinating again.

I would not want to be responsible for a gun, if student broke into safe or desk, acquired the gun and shot someone.

Arming teachers, accidents will happen.

You list yourself as a "retired teacher".

Anyway, it is illegal to allow students access to books that have not been approved Florida Department of Education. That means if you were a teacher in Florida, and were giving out books, you would be committing a crime.

So don't bring books that are not approved by the Florida Dept of Education. Nothing prevents a teacher from bringing books to school.
It really is pretty simple, Sybil.

I am a retired teacher... Teachers in Florida can give out books... Text books have to be approved...Why not all books ? Nothing wrong with that at all... If a student wants a book that is not approved by the system their parent can buy it for them..

Explain again why books are more dangerous than guns?

I would not want to be responsible for a gun,
Then don't carry one. No one is forcing you to carry a gun, Phanty.
if student broke into safe or desk, acquired the gun and shot someone.
Then another teacher could stop the carnage before it got any further. Carrying a gun means CARRYING the gun, not putting it in a safe or a desk.
Teachers have been armed in several States already. No accidents, Phanty. You are fear-mongering.

I taught MS and HS...and never thought twice about it...but I would prefer not to have to be armed... (I definitely agree with letting us teach...)
However, if it was required, or suggested, to carry, I'd deal with it... and not be distracted...I'd prefer to let law enforcement handle it, of course...Kind of like at home...

If someone told me I had to do my job AND BE READY TO KILL ANOTHER PERSON IN A FLASH, I think I'd find it distracting. It's probably why I didn't go into the military. I can't be sanguine about having the option of killing someone if I had to. I would think it massively distracting.

I would not want to be responsible for a gun, if student broke into safe or desk, acquired the gun and shot someone.

^^^^QUOTED FOR TRUTH. This is 100% a real issue.

It's also part of the overall problem in America. We have so many guns in circulation that just statistically we have more bad actors being able to get guns than if there was some sort of limitation on guns in our society.

Instead we think the answer is always MORE GUNS. Like putting more gasoline on the fire to put it out.

Actually, Tacky, I think that since it's Tennessee, we should just let volsrock make the rules.

He knows the terrain.
He knows the people.
He knows the teachers can't all be gunfighters.

I'm confident that if we just trust volsrock,
he'll know enough to arm all the kids as well.:laugh:

Agreed.... and so sad it's actually funny! (Tacky? Really? We haven't even argued yet! I'm hurt. :cry:)

Stop whining... Books are available all over...try the library or AMAZON... nothing wrong with having age appropriate material in classrooms...

So long as a bunch of christo-fascist/maga/alt-right yahoos determine what is appropriate, ehh bunky?

Occasionally kids brought guns to school... Sometimes we found them...sometimes we didn't... There was never an incident... Though a car did get shot in the parking lot at a basketball game one night... None of us ever thought about having to be armed... We didn't have to lock the doors... Kids
Let us break up their fights...Nobody had To show an ID... Things have changed though ... But I don't think We need to be armed... But if the staff decided to do so I might consider it...View attachment 26157 you mentioned these...recommendations?

You've spun so many tales of your various "professions" over the years that no one takes anything you say seriously anymore. That being said, if you believe that teachers don't need to be armed, then you have nothing to complain about here and should be in total agreement with the OP video.

Moron. Your opinion on this facet of American life is both ill-informed and stupid. You are a waste of time.

I keep him on permanent "ignore". He knows this because the system notifies anyone when they are ignored or blocked. But like all the maga mooks/trolls, he dogs my posts & threads like a bitch in heat seeking attention ... hoping someone will respond to him. Sad.

i remember those, but it wouldn't have been an acceptable option when and where I was teaching...
Our University pistol team won the National Championship this year, so young people are staying in practice...;)

I was in a Catholic grade school in a NY suburb. During a show & tell, a kid brought his (unloaded) rifle that he used when hunting with dad. I went home and related the days events to my parents. My father, a NYC homicide detective, just shook his head. Years later he said, "could you imagine if I gave you my service revolver for a show & tell"?

Originally Posted by archives View Post
Great, so now in addition to requiring extra education, licensing, a probationary period, meeting test requirements, mediocre pay at best, benefits defined at the whim of politicians, and constant criticism and blame by talking heads, Tennessee want the teachers to be packing

Welcome to teaching in MAGA America

Teachers who want to teach are going to teach regardless...so let us teach and worry about it...

That response doesn't even make sense in regards to the topic or what Archives brought up.

Back