Hark, be not afraid.

You tell me, but if that's what they intended I suspect that's what they would have said. What they said was "Be Not Afraid!".

The angel (singular) saw the look on their faces.
And no period after afraid. They need not be afraid FOR I bring you...
At least acknowledge grammer.

And an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened. 10But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; 11for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.…

In my personal opinion the angel was calming the shepherds by telling them not to be afraid of their presence and that they are bringing great news and not anything bad. I believe that the angel was recognizing that they were frightened by the sight of such a heavenly presence and so the angel was assuring them that they have no reason to be afraid since the angel was there to spread good news of the birth of Christ and not to harm them. I don't think that it was a general commandment to not be afraid of anything from now on moving forward, but it's ok to debate interpretation, it's what makes faith stronger in many ways.

And an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened. 10But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; 11for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.…

In my personal opinion the angel was calming the shepherds by telling them not to be afraid of their presence and that they are bringing great news and not anything bad. I believe that the angel was recognizing that they were frightened by the sight of such a heavenly presence and so the angel was assuring them that they have no reason to be afraid since the angel was there to spread good news of the birth of Christ and not to harm them. I don't think that it was a general commandment to not be afraid of anything from now on moving forward, but it's ok to debate interpretation, it's what makes faith stronger in many ways.

J Rod likes to pluck out the odd phrase to justify his libreal stance.
I'm trying to recall any time an angel ever issued a directive of a general nature on God's behalf. They have messages to individuals or small groups but they're specific to the occasion. Am I forgetting something Norah ?

The angel (singular) saw the look on their faces.
And no period after afraid. They need not be afraid FOR I bring you...
At least acknowledge grammer.

Exactly.... Be Not Afraid... For Jesus has been born and taken away any reason for fear. Fear is Old Testament, Jesus's birth changed that paradigm... Thus the first statement from heaven.... BE NOT AFRAID!

You guys go right ahead and continue to live in fear... I'll obey God and live happily fearless. Like the New Testiment commands.

Exactly.... Be Not Afraid... For Jesus has been born and taken away any reason for fear. Fear is Old Testament, Jesus's birth changed that paradigm... Thus the first statement from heaven.... BE NOT AFRAID!

It only applies to Christians. You aren't. Sorry.

shame on you, girl, for trying to bring logic and reason into the argument.....you should know Jarod doesn't understand those complicated things.......you will frighten him.....

I does not matter what frightened them.... Angles from heaven commanded they not be afraid.

The command was simple, they were told not to be afraid, and given the birth of Christ as the reason that they should be fearless!

Don't be afraid, Jarhead, they weren't talking to you.....they talking to the terrified men they appeared to in this fable....its been explained to you
several times now....don't you get it yet.

Don't be afraid, Jarhead, they weren't talking to you.....they talking to the terrified men they appeared to in this fable....its been explained to you
several times now....don't you get it yet.

BLABO got it right!
This story is a fantasy fable.
Good for you BLABO!

Back