Has anyone else seen the Couric - Palin interview?

Its race. At least, in part.

A southern white guy, like a Clinton or pre-affair John Edwards would be running pretty much even with McCain.

And Obama, ideologically and politically, is not much different than Clinton, so I don't want to hear any crap about how obama is "too liberal".

Cypress, you don't really know much about people here. You have your preconceived ideas about "those knuckle dragging Christians." You don't know much.

Race would play a role with very few.......a small percentage.

Cypress, you don't really know much about people here. You have your preconceived ideas about "those knuckle dragging Christians." You don't know much.

Obama running at 20% though?

What's your explanation. Obama's politics aren't much different than Bill Clintons.

LR - if race isn't a factor in southern states, can you please name one single african-american elected to statewide office in the south? i.e., senator, governor, Lt. Governor, State AG, etc?

It depends leaning, around here race plays a big part even in churches. Ohh they are treated nice enough in church, but....Why does the CME church exist ?

I always get hazed for saying it, but racism is a factor everywhere. I mean, c'mon - economic collapse, McCain coming across as clueless for about 2 solid weeks on the economy, the economy being the #1 issue with voters while terrorism is barely talked about, Palin coming across the way she has in her interviews, all in a year when the election is clearly about change - any normal white Dem who was running the same kind of campaign Obama is running would have a very healthy lead right now.

Obama IS leading, but it's close, and even Gallup was tied yesterday. To me, the poll #'s are incomprehensible.

Yeah, we New Yawkers is easy to figure out and put down, but hicks is a mystery the world over.

I always get hazed for saying it, but racism is a factor everywhere. I mean, c'mon - economic collapse, McCain coming across as clueless for about 2 solid weeks on the economy, the economy being the #1 issue with voters while terrorism is barely talked about, Palin coming across the way she has in her interviews, all in a year when the election is clearly about change - any normal white Dem who was running the same kind of campaign Obama is running would have a very healthy lead right now.

Obama IS leading, but it's close, and even Gallup was tied yesterday. To me, the poll #'s are incomprehensible.

Hazed by whom? It's a fucking joke and doesn't pass the smell test. Of course racism is keeping the polls close. Ain't no big mystery that we need to call in a team of hick experts to "understand".

I guess that the National Association of Evangelicals chief lobbyist doesn't know much about people in those parts either, and I don't even think he's a Jew or New Yawker, or worse, a New Yawk (jew) banker as they were complaining about on the tv today and telling us that the people in Leaning's part that we don't understand don't want to bail out no New Yawk (Jew) bankers?

"[T]here is the factor that we all know exists and that few people will talk about: the race factor.... Somebody's going to vote for somebody not on the basis of the content of his character but on the color of his skin and that's just called sin with a capital S because racism is a sin. And we all knew that racism has been in a lot of the white church," - National Association of Evangelicals chief lobbyist Richard Cizik.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/

Wow, I am absolutely astonished! Not a single one of you pinheads think she is smart, or gives a good interview! We all figured you would see her with Katie, and just fall in love with her, and it's puzzling why you haven't. I know John McCain was counting on this, which is why he picked her. I guess she was just so terrible that you can't single out one specific thing about her interview to illustrate your point. Oh well, we're stuck with her now, I guess we'll have to make the best of it. Maybe she stands a chance in hell in a debate with an idiot who thinks FDR went on TV in 1929? Ya think???
Actually since the Convention her popularity has fallen with the public in general. Lots of women that were going to vote for her found out how anti-woman she is and have changed their minds.

Wow, I am absolutely astonished! Not a single one of you pinheads think she is smart, or gives a good interview! We all figured you would see her with Katie, and just fall in love with her, and it's puzzling why you haven't. I know John McCain was counting on this, which is why he picked her. I guess she was just so terrible that you can't single out one specific thing about her interview to illustrate your point. Oh well, we're stuck with her now, I guess we'll have to make the best of it. Maybe she stands a chance in hell in a debate with an idiot who thinks FDR went on TV in 1929? Ya think???

Dixie, do you honestly belive she gave a good interview?

Here You go Dixie:

Palin Problem
She’s out of her league.

By Kathleen Parker

If at one time women were considered heretical for swimming upstream against feminist orthodoxy, they now face condemnation for swimming downstream — away from Sarah Palin.

To express reservations about her qualifications to be vice president — and possibly president — is to risk being labeled anti-woman.

Or, as I am guilty of charging her early critics, supporting only a certain kind of woman.

Some of the passionately feminist critics of Palin who attacked her personally deserved some of the backlash they received. But circumstances have changed since Palin was introduced as just a hockey mom with lipstick — what a difference a financial crisis makes — and a more complicated picture has emerged.

As we’ve seen and heard more from John McCain’s running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn’t know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion.

Yes, she recently met and turned several heads of state as the United Nations General Assembly convened in New York. She was gracious, charming and disarming. Men swooned. Pakistan’s president wanted to hug her. (Perhaps Osama bin Laden is dying to meet her?)

And, yes, she has common sense, something we value. And she’s had executive experience as a mayor and a governor, though of relatively small constituencies (about 6,000 and 680,000, respectively).

Finally, Palin’s narrative is fun, inspiring and all-American in that frontier way we seem to admire. When Palin first emerged as John McCain’s running mate, I confess I was delighted. She was the antithesis and nemesis of the hirsute, Birkenstock-wearing sisterhood — a refreshing feminist of a different order who personified the modern successful working mother.

Palin didn’t make a mess cracking the glass ceiling. She simply glided through it.

It was fun while it lasted.

Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I’ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I’ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.

Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there’s not much content there. Here’s but one example of many from her interview with Hannity: “Well, there is a danger in allowing some obsessive partisanship to get into the issue that we’re talking about today. And that’s something that John McCain, too, his track record, proving that he can work both sides of the aisle, he can surpass the partisanship that must be surpassed to deal with an issue like this.”

When Couric pointed to polls showing that the financial crisis had boosted Obama’s numbers, Palin blustered wordily: “I’m not looking at poll numbers. What I think Americans at the end of the day are going to be able to go back and look at track records and see who’s more apt to be talking about solutions and wishing for and hoping for solutions for some opportunity to change, and who’s actually done it?”

If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.

If Palin were a man, we’d all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she’s a woman — and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket — we are reluctant to say what is painfully true.

What to do?

McCain can’t repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOP’s unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability. Barack Obama faces the same problem with Biden.

Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=MDZiMDhjYTU1NmI5Y2MwZjg2MWNiMWMyYTUxZDkwNTE=

I have to say how funny I find it when the cons finally are forced to own up to what a freaking mess they have made, they always have to Damo it. (I think that we all know by now that Damo'ing something means desperately creating a false equivalency)

"McCain can’t repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOP’s unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability. Barack Obama faces the same problem with Biden"

hahhahah, sorry bitch, Obama has no Biden problem. But you guys sure are fucked!

"If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself."

Her interview reminds me of how I handled essays in high school when I hadn't studied or done the research.

She is a complete empty suit. She's going to get absolutely destroyed in her debate; I just heard that the McCain camp lobbied to have them cut the time for replies down, so she wouldn't have time to ramble incoherently. It won't matter.

And Dixie is wondering why we don't think she's "smart" or "gave a good interview." Because she isn't, and didn't.

Here is what I am seeing. Two pages full of commentary on Palin, slamming her repeatedly, post after post. Nothing really specific, just a general bashing on the basis of how she talks or how she might have answered a stupid question from a stupid liberal. Two full pages of pinheads in meltdown mode, insisting this woman is "just not fit" and reiterating that inane point, over and over and over again. I see two posts by myself and leaningright, representing the only posts in two pages, from anyone not a militant leftist.

This is currently the hottest thread on the board, pinheads are burning up their keyboards to post criticisms of Palin, in a mass frenzy to get their points across. Meanwhile, we hear crickets chirping on the Conservative side. No comments from Damo, Grind, Damo, or anyone from the right, who even 'tends to agree' with you. Not a single post! I know that you people are stupid, but you should be smart enough to realize two pretty damn clear things here, ONE... Conservatives aren't 'buying in' to the Palin Bashfest, and TWO... She wasn't selected for YOUR approval! In fact, the fact that you've all gone on for two pages, and will continue to burn up the board posting about her, is proof that McCain made the right choice. It is proof that Palin scares the shit out of Liberals, and you don't know how to deal with it. Your only recourse seems to be, a constant reassurance to one another, that Liberals don't support her and don't like her. I personally think it's about the best 'endorsement' she could have.

Here is what I am seeing. Two pages full of commentary on Palin, slamming her repeatedly, post after post. Nothing really specific, just a general bashing on the basis of how she talks or how she might have answered a stupid question from a stupid liberal. Two full pages of pinheads in meltdown mode, insisting this woman is "just not fit" and reiterating that inane point, over and over and over again. I see two posts by myself and leaningright, representing the only posts in two pages, from anyone not a militant leftist.

This is currently the hottest thread on the board, pinheads are burning up their keyboards to post criticisms of Palin, in a mass frenzy to get their points across. Meanwhile, we hear crickets chirping on the Conservative side. No comments from Damo, Grind, Damo, or anyone from the right, who even 'tends to agree' with you. Not a single post! I know that you people are stupid, but you should be smart enough to realize two pretty damn clear things here, ONE... Conservatives aren't 'buying in' to the Palin Bashfest, and TWO... She wasn't selected for YOUR approval! In fact, the fact that you've all gone on for two pages, and will continue to burn up the board posting about her, is proof that McCain made the right choice. It is proof that Palin scares the shit out of Liberals, and you don't know how to deal with it. Your only recourse seems to be, a constant reassurance to one another, that Liberals don't support her and don't like her. I personally think it's about the best 'endorsement' she could have.

For balance, here is Kathleen Parker writing for the National Review, an esteemed conservative magazine:

If at one time women were considered heretical for swimming upstream against feminist orthodoxy, they now face condemnation for swimming downstream — away from Sarah Palin.

To express reservations about her qualifications to be vice president — and possibly president — is to risk being labeled anti-woman.

Or, as I am guilty of charging her early critics, supporting only a certain kind of woman.

Some of the passionately feminist critics of Palin who attacked her personally deserved some of the backlash they received. But circumstances have changed since Palin was introduced as just a hockey mom with lipstick — what a difference a financial crisis makes — and a more complicated picture has emerged.

As we’ve seen and heard more from John McCain’s running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn’t know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion.

Yes, she recently met and turned several heads of state as the United Nations General Assembly convened in New York. She was gracious, charming and disarming. Men swooned. Pakistan’s president wanted to hug her. (Perhaps Osama bin Laden is dying to meet her?)

And, yes, she has common sense, something we value. And she’s had executive experience as a mayor and a governor, though of relatively small constituencies (about 6,000 and 680,000, respectively).

Finally, Palin’s narrative is fun, inspiring and all-American in that frontier way we seem to admire. When Palin first emerged as John McCain’s running mate, I confess I was delighted. She was the antithesis and nemesis of the hirsute, Birkenstock-wearing sisterhood — a refreshing feminist of a different order who personified the modern successful working mother.

Palin didn’t make a mess cracking the glass ceiling. She simply glided through it.

It was fun while it lasted.

Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I’ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I’ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.

Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there’s not much content there. Here’s but one example of many from her interview with Hannity: “Well, there is a danger in allowing some obsessive partisanship to get into the issue that we’re talking about today. And that’s something that John McCain, too, his track record, proving that he can work both sides of the aisle, he can surpass the partisanship that must be surpassed to deal with an issue like this.”

When Couric pointed to polls showing that the financial crisis had boosted Obama’s numbers, Palin blustered wordily: “I’m not looking at poll numbers. What I think Americans at the end of the day are going to be able to go back and look at track records and see who’s more apt to be talking about solutions and wishing for and hoping for solutions for some opportunity to change, and who’s actually done it?”

If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.

If Palin were a man, we’d all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she’s a woman — and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket — we are reluctant to say what is painfully true.

What to do?

McCain can’t repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOP’s unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability. Barack Obama faces the same problem with Biden.

Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

Feel better, Dix?

"It is proof that Palin scares the shit out of Liberals, and you don't know how to deal with it"

You've got that right.

Dixie, you're spinning wildly here. Couric's question on foreign policy was not a biased, "smear" question. I would expect someone like O'Reilly to ask the same thing. Did you see her answer?

She scares us, alright; just not in the way that you think.

The Pinheads are running scared! Sarah Palin is going to shoot them from a helicopter just to watch them die! No loss!

Where can I see the whole thing? I want to see it beofre I tell you just about every question was a trap--and Palin was probably sucker punched with the liberial mentality (like a so called "Bush Doctrine"). I can acceopt a stumble with her in this case (if that is actually what she did)--she is alone against the professional liberial homo media mafia. But--Palin is a sharp gal, and a quick study. It will not take Palin long to get their number----and present them in a comprehensive mannor, to the public as the marxist media they are. Palin will get the last shot--She has shot moose smarter than any liberial so called "journalist" slime ball.

You can't destroy her--she is right, and has the people behind her. You will only make her stronger. Lets see where she is in about 8 years. Lets see real Americans drive you fuckers out of this country!!!

Back