have democrats or liberals ever reduced taxes for everyone?

:rolleyes:

Eisenhower had to work within the congress like any other President, pretending that Presidents are somehow capable of doing everything they want to do just because they believe a certain way is childish and silly and beneath anybody who pays attention enough to post on a site like this.

Just as Reagan wanted to cut back on programs in the government but had a D Congress so he needed to use give and take. He was able to get them to approve increasing military expenditures that crippled the USSR and helped bring an end to the cold war, he had to give up on other portions of what he wanted to do. It's this thing called compromise that happens with our system.

I don't call him a "small government" Republican, because of the compromises he made that actually grew the government, although I do support what he was able to do with those compromises.

Eisenhower was the last President, and most knowledgeable about it, to speak about the dangers of the Military Industrial Complex and the fact that if we didn't watch we'd be in debt to our eyebrows. He was right. He was the last of the small government leaders we've had. And it is a shame.

It's not me making the broad statements. I merely question yours.
I trust all the words mean your reply would have been "Eisenhower"..'but'. I'll accept that, but it is only conjecture. As I said earleir, he is also my favorite, although among very slim pickings.
I might ask in puzzlement, how is it that you now support the military/industrial complex Eisenhower warned us about in his farewell? How much has subsequent government largesse to the military/industrial complex and resulting waste increased spending and debt, as well as adding to the expansion of the government?

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Eisenhower had to work within the congress like any other President, pretending that Presidents are somehow capable of doing everything they want to do just because they believe a certain way is childish and silly and beneath anybody who pays attention enough to post on a site like this.

Just as Reagan wanted to cut back on programs in the government but had a D Congress so he needed to use give and take. He was able to get them to approve increasing military expenditures that crippled the USSR and helped bring an end to the cold war, he had to give up on other portions of what he wanted to do. It's this thing called compromise that happens with our system.

I don't call him a "small government" Republican, because of the compromises he made that actually grew the government, although I do support what he was able to do with those compromises.

Eisenhower was the last President, and most knowledgeable about it, to speak about the dangers of the Military Industrial Complex and the fact that if we didn't watch we'd be in debt to our eyebrows. He was right. He was the last of the small government leaders we've had. And it is a shame.

..."and beneath anybody who pays attention enough to post on a site like this."
Ludicrous, or was it sarcasm?.

It's not me making the broad statements. I merely question yours.
I trust all the words mean your reply would have been "Eisenhower"..'but'. I'll accept that, but it is only conjecture. As I said earleir, he is also my favorite, although among very slim pickings.
I might ask in puzzlement, how is it that you now support the military/industrial complex Eisenhower warned us about in his farewell? How much has subsequent government largesse to the military/industrial complex and resulting waste increased spending and debt, as well as adding to the expansion of the government?
You "trust" that it "would be" Eisenhower...

Again, you absolutely are incapable of the simplest of remembrances. Earlier in this thread my answer was directly "Eisenhower"... Which started this circle you keep starting over and over again.

You are correct, I phrased my question too broadly, however with all the Presidents since Eisenhower? and all the members of Congress since???, finding only Hoekstra is pretty slim pickings isn't it? Somewhat like finding OSHA as the only pro-worker legislation signed by a GOP prez, even though it was created by Johnson and passed by a Dem Congress (and given short-shrift by every GOP Executive since).
What is Hoekstra's executive status in the GOP? I will admit Hoekstra has been consistent and less shrill than some on his side of the aisle.

Hoekstra won't be running for re-election....he's making a move for the governor's job next time around.....I wouldn't say he's alone, though there are lots of representatives I know nothing about.....

Again, you absolutely are incapable of the simplest of remembrances. Earlier in this thread my answer was directly "Eisenhower"... Which started this circle you keep starting over and over again.

"would be Eisenhower...but" as opposed to you simply saying "Eisenhower". You want me to recognize his intentions but not his results. I didn't deny his intentions but I pointed out his results which, apparently, is against your rules when discussing "small government" Republican Presidents, seemingly a myth.

What about the rest of the post you have edited?

What about the rest of the post you have edited?
What post I "edited"? People can see who edited your post right below it. Adding stuff to your own post then accusing me of editing it is just fricking sad.

Repeatedly I have pointed out that Eisenhower is the last of the small government leaders that were in that branch of the government, you have repeatedly gone out of your way to forget that and "trust" that my answer "would be" Eisenhower. I was direct, I have been direct, I have repeated it myriad times, and you have started that same argument over and over and over and over because your memory apparently is incapable of holding this information for longer than it takes your eyes to pass over it.

My answer you can "trust" again, will again be Eisenhower next time you ask this question. Maybe I'll just start linking and quoting my own posts along with your requestioning.

"would be Eisenhower...but" as opposed to you simply saying "Eisenhower". You want me to recognize his intentions but not his results. I didn't deny his intentions but I pointed out his results which, apparently, is against your rules when discussing "small government" Republican Presidents, seemingly a myth.
His results were quite satisfactory in that arena, much better than any leader after him and much better than most before him.

When did I say I supported that? This is like talking to somebody with a serious head injury or Alzheimer's, seriously. You can't remember the same answer to the same question given repeatedly then make crap up that you believe you remember.

I believe that our expenditures gave us a quicker victory in a cold war, but that doesn't mean I support the MIC, just that it is the reason why I wouldn't call Reagan a small-government leader, he increased the size of government along with congress using compromise. I would rather a small-government leader get that office and actually do something about the exponential increases in government than increase the power of the MIC. It was why I mentioned Eisenhower's warnings, why I showed how prophetic he was, why I mentioned it as part of the mess we've gotten ourselves into.

What post I "edited"? People can see who edited your post right below it. Adding stuff to your own post then accusing me of editing it is just fricking sad.

Repeatedly I have pointed out that Eisenhower is the last of the small government leaders that were in that branch of the government, you have repeatedly gone out of your way to forget that and "trust" that my answer "would be" Eisenhower. I was direct, I have been direct, I have repeated it myriad times, and you have started that same argument over and over and over and over because your memory apparently is incapable of holding this information for longer than it takes your eyes to pass over it.

My answer you can "trust" again, will again be Eisenhower next time you ask this question. Maybe I'll just start linking and quoting my own posts along with your requestioning.

I was referrinng to the fact that you only partially quoted what I said in your post. That one word was central to my point.

His results were quite satisfactory in that arena, much better than any leader after him and much better than most before him.

I know you have difficulty with a simple yes or no. Are you saying Eisenhower left with a smaller government than he found when he first entered office? You can nuance all you want, but if it is intent and not results that count, what prevents intent from merely becoming political rhetoric as we have seen in recent years?

When did I say I supported that? This is like talking to somebody with a serious head injury or Alzheimer's, seriously. You can't remember the same answer to the same question given repeatedly then make crap up that you believe you remember.

I believe that our expenditures gave us a quicker victory in a cold war, but that doesn't mean I support the MIC, just that it is the reason why I wouldn't call Reagan a small-government leader, he increased the size of government along with congress using compromise. I would rather a small-government leader get that office and actually do something about the exponential increases in government than increase the power of the MIC. It was why I mentioned Eisenhower's warnings, why I showed how prophetic he was, why I mentioned it as part of the mess we've gotten ourselves into.

I neither trust the Military nor large corporations as Eisenhower warned. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm open for enlightenment, do you share that sentiment?

I neither trust the Military nor large corporations as Eisenhower warned. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm open for enlightenment, do you share that sentiment?
I am, however I distrust a powerful centralized federal government at least as much.

Back