HAVE WE ENTERED A NEW GILDED AGE?

Those people needed to go somewhere to GTFO of Europe...

Well, that is simply not the case. They were actively recruited with promises of all kinds in order to give them the incentive to come here. They were not only promised wealth and riches their were helped with their passage and their fared to ports of call in Europe itself, since most of them lived far from any access to seaports through which their journey to America had to begin. In addition at least 24 percent of these people were sojourners, that is people who didn't stay in America but came here and earned money and returned to Europe or China or the other areas and countries where they originally lived. It is important to realize that the history you have obtained in high school and evidently college is wildly inaccurate in most particulars and it is only by educating yourself after those brief forays with what are mostly inaccurate textbooks that you will ever learn anything about American history. Otherwise you will do nothing but repeat popular myths that have little or nothing to do with reality. Most here abuse me for reading and even owning books, but there is absolutely no other way to learn much of anything. The only thing you can learn in schools at any level is how to learn. What you learn and how much of it is entirely up to you and it is a lifelong pursuit. When you think you know enough you are probably wrong. I know almost nothing which is why I still read avidly nearly every day. But that is just me, if I ever thought I knew much of anything I would probably stop learning. But I do know some things and of those I am pretty sure, although, because of that there are those here and elsewhere who still mock me. I don't care. I know that there is far more that I don't know than I will ever know. That is my impetus.

So, now I have to cover for you, as well? Explain to us how there wasn't a gigantic human wave of immigration into the US that coincided with the Gilded Age, please.

Everyone feel free to start paying attention to details and engaging in your own thinking from here on out...

The entire thing is so much more complicated than you allude to. You don't have to cover for me. We are in the midst of it now, again. That is what Dantes is talking about, and there is no building, no science or technological advances which are a result of vast income inequality, with all gain, increase or profit going to just the tiniest percent of the people who then gild their halls while workers have their homes foreclosed by robosigners, 80% of the population is suffering from the effects of poverty, food stamps are being cut, and all members of lower and middle classes have significantly lower purchasing ability. You see 3-D, what you don't see is the effect on a human or family of losing their purchasing power, losing assets to vainly try to maintain their standard of life, working more and having less. You don't see it because you didn't experience it so you don't realize it's impact.

The giant immigration wave didn't cause Frick to hire lawless private detectives to shoot and kill strikers who were willing to negotiate, greed did. Of course the owner, and the top employees should earn good wages, and even abundant wages would be held in a positive view by all who could live decently and with dignity, were such the case. You work for the government, and have an income. I gild the homes of the rich so I have an income, but there are not enough gilding jobs in the guild when the one percent is the only consumer.

By the way, the industrial revolution lowered the cost of food, dramatically so you are wrong about that being a cause of starvation too.

He castigated you for supposedly not knowing what the words "Guilded Age" refer to...

I confess I don't either. Hardly surprising.

Again, relevance, Troll? Didn't thinks so. What a waste of bandwidth you are.

Why don't you google something and add to the dialog, at least you are good at that.

With regard to poverty, the Gilded Age coincided with a mass immigration into the US that set statistical records. No matter what the economic or political philosophy of the day, this was always going to lead to tenement culture, massive levels of poverty, conflict and struggle, and a host of problems. It just happened to occur during a time of industrial revolution and market liberalization.

So you are not saying mass starvation occurred at the very time when food prices lowered dramatically and availability increased?

Great thread Dantes, excellent posts on this.

223496__safe_oc_animated_shipping_straight_licking_tongue_artist-mixermike622_unshorn-fetlocks_5100db57a4c72d94ad0001fb.gif.gif

So you are not saying mass starvation occurred at the very time when food prices lowered dramatically and availability increased?

Not having access to resources and living amongst the huddled masses in poverty will tend to negate things like the CPI. If the economy had tanked during this time period, do you think there would NOT have been mass starvation going on?

Not having access to resources and living amongst the huddled masses in poverty will tend to negate things like the CPI. If the economy had tanked during this time period, do you think there would NOT have been mass starvation going on?

It did tank during the many depressions mentioned by Dantes during the last Gilded Age.
During the depressions, the ultra wealthy became wealthier as they are during now.

The masses then starved, today we have food stamps, though they are being cut by the generous souls at the GOP.

You are arguing against yourself.

It did tank during the many depressions mentioned by Dantes during the last Gilded Age.
During the depressions, the ultra wealthy became wealthier as they are during now.

The masses then starved, today we have food stamps, though they are being cut by the generous souls at the GOP.

You are arguing against yourself.

No, I am simply ignoring your irrelevant distractions. You only want to view negative indicators when they present themselves within contexts that you disagree with, even if they don't correlate very well.

First; the guided age was coined by a couple of famous authors through satire. Look up the definition some time libtards.

Secondly, where does this leftist myth come from that the wealthy don't work their asses off? Maybe if lefttards picked up a book about the efforts and risk entrepreneurs go through they wouldn't think it was so easy?

One thing is certain when I read such leftist canards like income inequality and wealth inequality, they are painful evidence of the failure of our educational system to actually educate.

Some facts about this time period satirically referred to as the guilded age:

Over 500,000 patents were filed.

Farm productivity massively increased.

Factory productivity massively increased.

Immigration massively increased because the wages being paid and opportunity were vastly greater than those in Europe.

The massive wealth generated also equated to massive amounts of philanthropic charity given by those capitalists like Rockefeller resulting in parks, libraries, museums, theatre and the arts. Some are said to have given as much as 90% of their wealth in such philanthropic efforts.

Last, but never least, such efforts by these giants of capital formation created millions of jobs for people who couldn't find one in Europe which resulted in the massive immigration of this "age.".

So what I would like to see from lefttards who parrot such Marxist canards to do is show me where their facts exist that wealth just magically appeared on the backs of hourly workers for these entrepreneurs by doing little or no work.

Please provide some examples of how these industrialists just sat on their asses while wealth magically materialized.

While your at it, also provide evidence where massive expansion of Government and centralized economic decision making worked. That is another brain dead myth lefttards love to wallow in.

So this moronic tome containing this mythical premise of inequality does what many leftist false premises do in order to promote a terribly flawed and failed ideological political view, create strawmen and reinvent history while avoiding the facts.

Yes, this age of expansion contained many ugly warts; continued racism, exploitation of immigrant labor, the destruction of the native Indian culture and exploitation of the land and natural resources. But then, please show me a human endevour that was perfect and did not contain even worse outcomes.

We grew, we learned from our mistakes and created a better Republic. Unfortunately, as evidenced by this thread, our educational establishment is failing our youth and they are growing up stupid thinking that Government should be the ultimate arbiter of what is fair and that we should be happy for the leftovers of our labor that has not been forcefully usurped by arrogant presumptuous politicians who think they are entitled to be the deciders and do so by duping gullible dunces into electing them.

Our founders are rolling, no spinning in their graves when citizens of this greatest of nations on earth make such dimwitted arguments bereft of history, reason, common sense, logic and the facts.

Back