Hi -- New here.

He's a civilian working for the military. His attitude is polite and he's been working hard to learn Japanese. That's actually what made this stick particularly in my mind, because I felt bad that someone who was a Japanophile, excited to live in the country, and working to learn the language and culture, would be met with that attitude. I think it was pretty disillusioning for him.

Cool story, "sis."

A Story for Every Occasion™.

My question is; are you on vacation? For a financial analyst in NYC, your volume of posts during the work week is impressive.

Ignored. Did you notice?

How long before another liberal jumps in with a purportedly-plausible excuse, or the sock claims that due to "her language skills", she handles Asian clients and thus is not @ work during American working hours?

Okay, Grump, glad my asinine posts have a modicum of value for someone.

QUESTION: At the end of the college football season, are you shouting "Go ARMY, beat NAVY" or "Go NAVY, beat ARMY?"

Or are you just celebrating another AF win of the Commander in Chief's Trophy?

One thing I have to say about you Frank is you do have a sense of humor. We may disagree poltically but I do enjoy most of our interchanges.

I know your a golfer. Have you ever heard of World Golf Tour, wtg.com? It is the most realistic online golf games I have found.

The boat bar in Chelsea? I've heard of it, but I've never been there. It would be a bit out of the way for me.

Great place.

I've had meets there with people from several other fora where I have participated...Open Salon; Abuzz (NY Times site); Able2Know...and a couple others. Met with people from all over the US...and half a dozen foreign countries...sometimes in groups of a dozen or more.

Like I said...great place and very, very popular these days...so was just wondering.

Attachments

• 100_1315.jpg
    100_1315.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 2
One thing I have to say about you Frank is you do have a sense of humor. We may disagree poltically but I do enjoy most of our interchanges.

I know your a golfer. Have you ever heard of World Golf Tour, wtg.com? It is the most realistic online golf games I have found.

Never heard of it, Grump. I'll check it out, though.

I enjoy the give and take with you also.

I truly do not take much of this ball breaking very seriously. Just a laugh or two...interesting way to pass some time...and often, some information that comes from no other source that really is interesting.

I've had meets there with people from several other fora where I have participated...Open Salon; Abuzz (NY Times site); Able2Know...and a couple others. Met with people from all over the US...and half a dozen foreign countries...sometimes in groups of a dozen or more.

So you say. Was Frank Sinatra in attendance? :rofl2:

I'm not sure when the next recession will come. This growth cycle is long in the tooth already, but it could still have some life in it, since the deleveraging of the Obama era is now being reversed -- not just the radical increases to federal budget deficits, but also a change from rapid declines in household debt to renewed increases. The impact of those two things, together, is to import capital into the system, which could keep the economy growing for a few more years (at the cost of requiring massive exports of capital in the future, depressing the economy over the course of the following generation).

We live in "interesting times," don't we? You're around the same age as the youngest of my kids; I worry for your futures.

Sure. I would expect that the atmosphere 18 months ago was similar to two weeks ago, so that wouldn't seem to explain the different experiences your acquaintances reported to you and mine reported to me. I'd be curious what accounts for those. Given all the material I so easily pulled up on Google from others in Japan whose experiences were similar to those my friend reported to me, I don't think the difference is likely to be because he made it up. I'm open to other ideas.

I would imagine that a person's experiences in Japan (or any other country for that matter) would vary greatly depending on which part they are in.

Not a single self professed Republican male (assuming you are all male, hard to tell sometimes) has bothered to engage her in her attempts to discuss the economy etc but are instead focused on herself as a person and to discredit her in whatever possible.

Why is it some of you feel the need to attack her personally (all but call her a liar about her personal details) rather than engage in her interesting discussion?

Not a single self professed Republican male (assuming you are all male, hard to tell sometimes) has bothered to engage her in her attempts to discuss the economy etc but are instead focused on herself as a person and to discredit her in whatever possible.
Why is it some of you feel the need to attack her personally (all but call her a liar about her personal details) rather than engage in her interesting discussion?

They're terrified of bright, articulate, liberal women. If she had self-described as a Reichwing woman, with all her other attributes the same, they would be fawning all over her like they used to do with Brunette.

Admittedly I haven't followed this thread so I'm speaking from ignorance as to what has been stated earlier. However as one who enjoys discussing the economy I'd be glad to engage and gender doesn't matter. My first question would be if they know who Jerome Powell is because too many people on this board may be political junkies but they have no idea who or what the federal reserve is and what it does. And considering how much control the Fed has over our economy they really don't understand how the system works.

But if this poster does I'd be glad to learn from her.

Just signed up today, and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a financial analyst in my late 20s, a Korean American, and presently living in NYC. I'm a bit of a political junkie and I lean pretty hard to the left.

Great. A new addition to my thread ban list. Enjoy

Okay, Grump, glad my asinine posts have a modicum of value for someone.

QUESTION: At the end of the college football season, are you shouting "Go ARMY, beat NAVY" or "Go NAVY, beat ARMY?"

Or are you just celebrating another AF win of the Commander in Chief's Trophy?

Go Navy!!

is that one of those shithole countries?.....

If New York were a country, it would be less of a shithole than the United States in pretty much all measurable ways. For example, the murder rate in New York is 3.2/100k, compared to 5.3/100k for the nation. The infant mortality rate is 4.5/100k, versus 5.9/100k for the nation as a whole. Life expectancy is 80.5 years, versus 78.9 years for the US. It also is better than the national average when it comes to educational performance, share of the population with college degrees, median income, productivity, GSP per capita, overall crime rates, incarceration rates, obesity rate, and so on. It doesn't compete with the very top US states (e.g., Massachusetts), much less elite social democracies like those of Western Europe, but it is far from the "shithole country" category. If you were looking to throw a US state in that category, you'd do well to look to areas where cultural conservatism have really mucked things up: West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, etc.

So you say, sock.

Give it a try, if you disagree. Take the actual budget and identify which SPECIFIC changes you would make to bring it into balance. Assuming you're not one who would advocate defaulting on promises (e.g., no longer paying our debt, or reducing military retirement benefits, or Social Security, etc.) I think you'll find it difficult to reach balance. Give it a shot.

Back