Hi -- New here.

I wasn't, but I just Googled it. Why do you ask?

You mentioned Salon, sock. Guess who Todd Nickerson writes for? They have now scrubbed their site of his writings, but the Internet remembers.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/02/salon-shouldnt-have-unpublished-its-pedophilia-article.html

Grumpy aka Angry Bird aka Eagle Eye used to be on another forum that I was also on. We both knew a conservative guy poster named RightThinking, who worked for the U.S. govt. (military) and lived in Osaka, Japan for many years. In fact, last we heard from him he was still there. He also reported the same incidents that you have reported, with white foreigners, particularly Americans, being banned from some businesses. He spoke fluent Japanese and had many Japanese friends, according to him, but still encountered this from time to time. I have Grumps on ignore but he still reads my posts; maybe this will jog his memory.

Interesting. I look forward to seeing whether he revises his position in light of that.

What I am saying is that Y O U posted an image and a link to a blog to bolster your argument and I suspect that you hoped nobody would notice it.

If I didn't want anyone to notice the blog, wouldn't the obvious step be NOT to post a link to it? Isn't it clear my whole point in posting the link was to call attention to it? Honestly, I don't know what you're trying to argue here.

I'm not aware that your conveniently-cited "friend" exists

Of course not. Other than any posters here who actually know each other, there's no way to be sure of such things. That's why I helped you out with the long list of external URLs to establish that the phenomenon I learned about from my friend actually exists. Now you know that, whether or not you choose to believe my friend exists. You're a little more knowledgeable about the world than you were. You're welcome.

and I deny saying that anti-American sentiment doesn't exist

Are you under the impression that I said that you said anti-American sentiment doesn't exist? If so, what led you to that misconception? Or was that just a straw man attack?

II helped you out with the long list of external URLs to establish that the phenomenon I learned about from my friend actually exists.

Why would you do that unless you presumed that I denied that anti-American sentiment "actually exists" in Okinawa and Japan, sock?

Are you going to post some links to establish that grass is green?

For the reason I just explained, in the very post you just replied to, in the text you deleted in your reply.

I don't believe you, sock.

Nobody knows anyone on an anonymous message board, as we both know.

There is no upside to "introducing yourself" as a Korean bi-sexual woman unless you think it's advantageous, is there?

Sure. I would expect that the atmosphere 18 months ago was similar to two weeks ago, so that wouldn't seem to explain the different experiences your acquaintances reported to you and mine reported to me. I'd be curious what accounts for those. Given all the material I so easily pulled up on Google from others in Japan whose experiences were similar to those my friend reported to me, I don't think the difference is likely to be because he made it up. I'm open to other ideas.

Easy answer is your corospondent a civilian or a GI? If civilian they are in different circumstances. Plus what attitude does he/she project. I have seen numerous Americans expecting the people in the country they visit speak english. That Pisses the natives off. So You nor I have the full story.

Easy answer is your corospondent a civilian or a GI? If civilian they are in different circumstances. Plus what attitude does he/she project. I have seen numerous Americans expecting the people in the country they visit speak english. That Pisses the natives off. So You nor I have the full story.

I'm not trying to interfere in your interaction with the sock, Grump. Just a word in your ear: The fact is that anecdotal evidence is nothing but hearsay and proves nothing. That's why I try to avoid it, personally.

Just signed up today, and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a financial analyst in my late 20s, a Korean American, and presently living in NYC. I'm a bit of a political junkie and I lean pretty hard to the left.

If you are a sock, you are very good at it. My question is; are you on vacation? For a financial analyst in NYC, your volume of posts during the work week is impressive.

Isn't it a fact that economic cycles like recession and stagnation occur periodically...

Yes. And if you'd like to know what those periods have been, historically, the link I provided is useful for educating yourself.

Is it accurate to imply a causal partisan impetus?

In any particular instance, certainly not. However, at some point "coincidence" starts to become an unsatisfying explanation.

Here's a way to think about it. Let's say you flip a coin and it comes up "heads." Will you think it's weighted towards heads on that basis? No. It could be random. Now you flip it again, and it comes up "heads" again. Still could be coincidence. Same with the third "heads." But if it were to come up "heads" nine times in a row, the probability of that happening randomly is less than 1/5 of 1%. So, it makes sense to think maybe it's not random, at that point. Maybe the coin is weighted.

In the same sense, if you have a recession start under a Republican president, that could be random. But what if a recession starts under each of the last nine Republican presidents? What if, in fact, sometimes two or even three recessions start under some of those Republican presidents? Well, you might say, recessions start under every president, so that doesn't mean anything. Only that's not true. No recession started under Obama. Or Clinton. Or Johnson. Or Kennedy.

Is it just a big coincidence that we fall into recession so often when Republicans are in the White House, and so seldom when Democrats are? Perhaps. It's impossible to say with what is, by necessity, a fairly small data set. But the dynamic I talked about in my post would be consistent with the pattern I'm seeing -- if, basically, Republicans tend to take control when Democrats have created a strong economy, because more voters are thinking of themselves as future millionaires who will benefit from Republican policies. If that's what's happening, then the tendency would be for Republicans to take charge when growth cycles were already pretty old, so there was a heightened risk of recession. Meanwhile, Democrats would tend to take charge either in the midst of a recession that started under a Republican (like Obama) or shortly after one ended (like with Clinton). So, they'd tend to take charge when the growth cycles hadn't even started, or were quite young, allowing for longer run-ups. That would go a long way towards explaining the pattern. It wouldn't, however, do much to explain why we tend to get multiple recessions under Republican presidents (e.g., the two that started under Bush, or the two during the eight years of Nixon/Ford, or the three that started under Eisenhower).

Back