Hi -- New here.

Not a single self professed Republican male (assuming you are all male, hard to tell sometimes) has bothered to engage her in her attempts to discuss the economy etc but are instead focused on herself as a person and to discredit her in whatever possible.

Why is it some of you feel the need to attack her personally (all but call her a liar about her personal details) rather than engage in her interesting discussion?

I don't even mind the personal attacks. They're easy to ignore when I want to. But what I'm hoping for is a forum where I can test my ideas, revise them in the face of good challenges, hone my delivery, etc. That requires people on the right willing to engage on substance. So far, I don't believe I've seen that here.

Admittedly I haven't followed this thread so I'm speaking from ignorance as to what has been stated earlier. However as one who enjoys discussing the economy I'd be glad to engage and gender doesn't matter. My first question would be if they know who Jerome Powell is because too many people on this board may be political junkies but they have no idea who or what the federal reserve is and what it does. And considering how much control the Fed has over our economy they really don't understand how the system works.

But if this poster does I'd be glad to learn from her.

remember when you and all the cons on here used to trash me and uscitizen for predicting the 2008 crash?

you got it all wrong and now you pretend to be some expert?

you and the republican party suck ass at understanding the economy

your ideas are shit

they fuck everything up every time they are tried

yet you always want to try them again

why?

I don't even mind the personal attacks. They're easy to ignore when I want to. But what I'm hoping for is a forum where I can test my ideas, revise them in the face of good challenges, hone my delivery, etc. That requires people on the right willing to engage on substance. So far, I don't believe I've seen that here.

because their ideas are not based on substance

If New York were a country, it would be less of a shithole than the United States in pretty much all measurable ways. For example, the murder rate in New York is 3.2/100k, compared to 5.3/100k for the nation. The infant mortality rate is 4.5/100k, versus 5.9/100k for the nation as a whole. Life expectancy is 80.5 years, versus 78.9 years for the US. It also is better than the national average when it comes to educational performance, share of the population with college degrees, median income, productivity, GSP per capita, overall crime rates, incarceration rates, obesity rate, and so on. It doesn't compete with the very top US states (e.g., Massachusetts), much less elite social democracies like those of Western Europe, but it is far from the "shithole country" category. If you were looking to throw a US state in that category, you'd do well to look to areas where cultural conservatism have really mucked things up: West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, etc.

don't forget Kansas

Admittedly I haven't followed this thread so I'm speaking from ignorance as to what has been stated earlier. However as one who enjoys discussing the economy I'd be glad to engage and gender doesn't matter. My first question would be if they know who Jerome Powell is because too many people on this board may be political junkies but they have no idea who or what the federal reserve is and what it does. And considering how much control the Fed has over our economy they really don't understand how the system works.

But if this poster does I'd be glad to learn from her.

Yes, not only do I know who Powell is, but I wrote a thesis in school comparing two of his predecessors, Ben Bernanke and Alan Greenspan. Although I was sorry to see Yellen go, Powell is one of the few Trump-era appointees who I think passes the bar of basic competence and experience.

If you have a semantic preference for "American citizen with Korean ancestry," that's fine. "Korean American" is a handy shorthand for that, though.

If I were, wouldn't I say that I'm a straight white man -- then my support for liberal policies couldn't be as easily dismissed by right-wingers as a matter of personal self interest, since I'd be advocating policies that are actually against my personal interests. In fact, wouldn't I insist I was a wealthy straight white veteran living in rural red-state America. That would provide real rhetorical advantage to a liberal in an argument, whereas identifying as someone who ticks a lot of the usual liberal boxes just makes it easier for others to put you in a box rather than addressing your actual arguments.

funny they never attack people who identify as Irish American

My own plan is not to do thread bans. It's easy enough to pass by posts that have nothing to offer, and you never know when someone might have something interesting to add.

I have never banned anyone from anything on the entire internets

I have never even used the negative rep system ( I do give positive reps )

some cant handle all the sides of an issue

I even read the idiots posts just to see how well the Russians are programing bots ccurrently

remember when you and all the cons on here used to trash me and uscitizen for predicting the 2008 crash?

you got it all wrong and now you pretend to be some expert?

you and the republican party suck ass at understanding the economy

your ideas are shit

they fuck everything up every time they are tried

yet you always want to try them again

why?

I was in high school when the 2008 crash started (actually it started in December 2007, according to the NBER). So, I can't claim to have seen in coming -- although I was already interested in economics back then, I didn't follow macroeconomics very closely. However, one thing I find useful when assessing someone's history of economic prognostication is differentiating between those who change their views over time and tend to be right both on the high and low end, and the so-called "permabears" like Roubini, who hawk defensive investments and so always predict doom.

There were a lot of prominent economists who predicted that downturn, but a really high portion of those were permabears who have that same message year in and year out, and are mostly wrong. A permabear is inevitably going to be right sometimes, in the same way that a stopped watch tells the correct time twice per day. If someone predicted looming economic disaster in 2007, but is also on record predicting economic disaster in the face of tax hikes in 1993 and when Obama allowed Bush's tax cut on the top bracket to expire in 2013 , and so on, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. If, on the other hand, someone predicted explosive economic growth in the Clinton era, and slow and steady growth in the Obama era, and also the Bush catastrophe, that looks a lot more impressive.

How about you? When you foresaw the 2008 meltdown, was that a "permabear" thing -- did you also wrongly predict lots of other meltdowns in the subsequent years? Or was it specific to that one?

I was a stay at home mom who was addicted to news.

I merely saw the increase in shitty usustainable loans

OH SHIT THE QUEEN JUST DIED

I need a minute

Last edited:
funny they never attack people who identify as Irish American

Yes. I notice the comparison especially when contrasting the reactions bigots have to, say, Mexican Americans waving Mexican flags on Cinco de Mayo, and Irish Americans waving Irish flags on St. Patrick's Day. They perceive the former as threatening or downright treasonous, while the latter is just quaint and charming. I don't think Asian Americans get the same level of hostility from the right as Latinos do (possibly because of a conscious attempt to use the Asian "model minority" meme as a cudgel against blacks and Latinos), so the hostility here to the "Korean American" label was a bit surprising to me.

"How about you? When you foresaw the 2008 meltdown, was that a "permabear" thing -- did you also wrongly predict lots of other meltdowns in the subsequent years? Or was it specific to that one?"

I watched (and believed) that Larry Kudlow asshole "It's Goldilocks time". I think it was about December of 2008 (3 months before the bottom) that he stopped saying that.

they don't fear Asians

they perceive them as small and polite

Brown and Black people are scary to them

their sons can marry Asian women but their daughters are not supposed to marry an Asian man

racists are really stupid and don't employ facts in their thought processes

OH SHIT THE QUEEN JUST DIED I need a minute

I wish Fowl just died.

Did Aretha know that you posted these racist remarks before she died?

I spit in the face of the black guy.
Obama was nothing more than another black failure in a government job and another black family in government housing. Stupid nigger.
If you're black and you vote democrat, then you're a "nigger". If you're white and you vote democrat, then you're "white trash". If you're Asian and you vote democrat, then you're a "zipper head". If you're Hispanic and you vote democrat, then you're a "wetback".

Back