Hi -- New here.

Hey, Oneuli. Not to go off topic here, but do you have a position on 'immigration? I see you talk about 'disappearing' jobs. I have a premise about there will be LESS jobs done by humans in the Future and that the US should stop or slow done or be more selective in their 'immigration' policy.

I'd open immigration up, but focused on the low end of the skill ladder. The very low skill laborers tend to create their own jobs. For example, picture it from the perspective of a middle-class householder who is considering whether or not to "outsource" the job of cleaning the house, by getting a maid to come in once a week. If there are a lot of low-skill laborers in the area, the cost for that work will be low, and the middle-class person will find it affordable and will be more likely to have the work done. If, on the other hand, there aren't many low-skill workers in the area, the cost for that work will be above the middle-class price range, and the person will likely just do the work him or herself (or, I suppose, buy a Chinese-made Roomba, or some such).

By comparison, pulling in high-skills workers is more problematic, since they displace citizens in existing jobs -- often citizens who are saddled with a ton of student debt they took on to qualify for those jobs. Where more low-end immigrants raise the quality of life of citizens (e.g., freeing up time from menial tasks) more high-end immigrants lower the quality of life of citizens, by slotting in above them on the career ladder and making it harder to advance.

As for disappearing jobs, that's an advantage of guest workers -- they tend to be flexible to go where the jobs are. Where a citizen whose job goes away is more likely to sit in place and throw a political tantrum until someone makes work for him (e.g., displaced West Virginia coal miners), non-citizens will tend to flow to where the demand is.... which may include flowing right out of the country in times when jobs are too scarce to justify the hardship of living as an alien in a strange land.

So, my position is basically the opposite of yours. Especially in times like now, with unemployment down around 4% (and with the demographic crisis of having too few working-aged residents per retiree), we should be greatly boosting immigration, but we should do so in a less selective way, so that we're displacing fewer skilled citizens from jobs.

Last edited:
If a sock is a sock, how is identifying them "name calling and a personal attack," sock?

Regardless of whether or not I'm a sock, it is name-calling. For example, regardless of whether or not you're a waste of space in this forum, if I were to call you "space waster," in my posts to you, that would be name-calling and it would be a personal attack.

Are you deliberately avoiding my question?

Jack, you forgot to log in as "Legion" before that latest reply. It's in your "Legion" role that you asked that question. When you're playing "Jack" you're not supposed to regard that question as yours.

The very low skill laborers tend to create their own jobs.

is that so, sock? Who told you that? have you got any evidence that it's true?

By comparison, pulling in high-skills workers is more problematic, since they displace citizens in existing jobs -- often citizens who are saddled with a ton of student debt they took on to qualify for those jobs. Where more low-end immigrants raise the quality of life of citizens (e.go., freeing up time from menial tasks) more high-end immigrants lower the quality of life of citizens, by slotting in above them on the career ladder and making it harder to advance.

That almost sounds like a personal issue, sock.

As for disappearing jobs, that's an advantage of guest workers -- they tend to be flexible to go where the jobs are. Where a citizen whose job goes away is more likely to sit in place and throw a political tantrum until someone makes work for him (e.g., displaced West Virginia coal miners), non-citizens will tend to flow to where the demand is.... which may include flowing right out of the country in times when jobs are too scarce to justify the hardship of living as an alien in a strange land.

Didn't your own job "go away," sock?

So, my position is basically the opposite of yours. Especially in times like now, with unemployment down around 4% (and with the demographic crisis of having too few working-aged residents per retiree), we should be greatly boosting immigration, but we should do so in a less selective way, so that we're displacing fewer skilled citizens from jobs.

You want millions of low-skill immigrants to flood the labor market, but resent any with the skills to take any jobs you might want, sock?

Regardless of whether or not I'm a sock, it is name-calling. For example, regardless of whether or not you're a waste of space in this forum, if I were to call you "space waster," in my posts to you, that would be name-calling and it would be a personal attack.

Since you're a sock, how is it "name-calling", sock?

I noticed you abandoned your untenable argument about "personal attacks", sock.

Back