Hi -- New here.

I spoke no French the last time I was in Paris, but don't recall them being difficult about it. I've since picked up a smattering of French, but have only had a chance to use it in Quebec and Casablanca, neither of which is known for that Gallic hauteur.

A Story for Every Occasion™.

They were kind of rude? My middle daughter and son went to Paris and then on to Switzerland last year. She had a different experience; she tried speaking her fairly rusty French in shops and ppl were delighted and complimented her. Of course they were pretending to be from Canada so maybe that had something to do with it. lol
I spoke no French the last time I was in Paris, but don't recall them being difficult about it. I've since picked up a smattering of French, but have only had a chance to use it in Quebec and Casablanca, neither of which is known for that Gallic hauteur.
Correction. I should have said Montmartre, not Paris. They can get away with being a bit rude there. I'd probably be arrogant too if that was my home. Didn't mind it at all. lol

Is it? Let's look at a top-100 list of novels compiled by algorithm from over 100 other top 100 lists:

https://thegreatestbooks.org/

Here is the consensus top 5:

(1) In Search of Lost Time
(2) Don Quixote
(3) Ulysses
(4) The Great Gatsby
(5) Moby Dick

Their average length is 426,165 words. By comparison, the Harry Potter novels range between about 77,000 words and 257,000.

Great writers focus on what they want to convey, not on how many words it takes to do so. Understandably, that will drive away readers with shorter attention spans. A lot more people will get through "Harry Potter and the Alchemist's Stone" than "In Search of Lost Time." Many writers are willing to sacrifice some of what they're trying to say in order to hold onto the short-attention-span crowd. Others are not.
I didn't mean books and novels, but general communication.

The most powerful message is a clear, concise one. Removing all unnecessary words gives the clearest message. Wordiness muddies any message and loses the attention of the reader. It's not easy and takes practice but it can be done.

The most powerful message is a clear, concise one. Removing all unnecessary words gives the clearest message. Wordiness muddies any message and loses the attention of the reader. It's not easy and takes practice but it can be done.

Sock may not comprehend concise messaging.

What the fuck do you know about that?

Have you ever had an opinion on anything published in a major media outlet?

I have...many times.

There was a day when people who wanted their opinions on issues heard...had to be the best of the best of the best to get major coverage. I managed to get many opinions heard...so what about you? Or are you just a loud mouth on the Internet where opinions are heard from scholars and cretin alike.

Concise is good...but thoroughness of argument is even more essential.

Oneuli has been dealing with questions on a variety of issues of which full books have been written in attempts to handle the issues meaningfully.

She has done a great job...and I've seen shit coming from you.

That name change bullshit, by the way, is for punks. You ought to develop the spine to add a disclaimer that you previously went by...

What the fuck do you know about that?

Have you ever had an opinion on anything published in a major media outlet?

I have...many times.

There was a day when people who wanted their opinions on issues heard...had to be the best of the best of the best to get major coverage. I managed to get many opinions heard...so what about you? Or are you just a loud mouth on the Internet where opinions are heard from scholars and cretin alike.

Concise is good...but thoroughness of argument is even more essential.

Oneuli has been dealing with questions on a variety of issues of which full books have been written in attempts to handle the issues meaningfully.

She has done a great job...and I've seen shit coming from you.

That name change bullshit, by the way, is for punks. You ought to develop the spine to add a disclaimer that you previously went by...

You can't dispute any point I've made.

I use as many as I need. I suppose I could spend a lot of time revising, to identify words that can come out, but that's more than I want to put into a forum like this.

I won't claim to be a gifted writer. As I've mentioned, I'm a math person. But as to the charge of long-windedness, I'm typically dealing in just a few paragraphs with a topic that could easily be done at book length.

Paging back through this thread, I see that most of my replies have been pretty brief -- e.g., two short sentences each in #992 and #980, three each in #977 and #962. Just one in #961. If I page back far enough, I see that 137 posts back in the thread, I had a longer one: post #856. That included 357 words from me. An average newspaper op-ed is about twice that. So if I'm trying people's patience here, I can only imagine their reaction when they try to tackle the "big boy papers."

I won't claim to be a gifted writer. As I've mentioned, I'm a math person. But as to the charge of long-windedness, I'm typically dealing in just a few short paragraphs with a topic that could easily be done at book length.

Paging back through this thread, I see that most of my replies have been pretty brief -- e.g., two short sentences each in #992 and #980, three each in #977 and #962. Just one in #961. But if I page back far enough, I see that 137 posts back in the thread, I had a longer one: post #856. That included 357 words from me. An average newspaper op-ed is about twice that. So if I'm trying people's patience here, I can only imagine their reaction when they try to tackle the "big boy papers."
Well that explains it. I'm not a math person. I hate math.

You use more than you need.

Yes. I understand that's your opinion. In fact, I understood that was your opinion before you added those six words to reiterate that opinion. Have you considered trimming such redundancy from your contributions?

Hello ThatOwlWoman, Oneuli and anonymoose,

They were kind of rude? My middle daughter and son went to Paris and then on to Switzerland last year. She had a different experience; she tried speaking her fairly rusty French in shops and ppl were delighted and complimented her. Of course they were pretending to be from Canada so maybe that had something to do with it. lol

From the limited international travel I've done I came to understand that cultural differences can be more important than language differences. Americans tend to be brash. If you march yourself into a shop without acknowledging the keeper, immediately begin pawing over the merchandise, and then start firing questions about the price, you may be stepping on some cultural toes and get yourself ignored. Likewise same approach on the street, say asking for directions or local information.

Americans have a tendency to forget the pleasantries other cultures are accustomed to.

People may find a completely different experience depending how the situation is approached.

If you come up to somebody, make eye contact, and smile; then begin with traditional greetings such as 'Hello. How are you?' 'Nice day,' etc. you may find a completely different reaction than simply blurting what you're interested in as if the other is a computer waiting to give a response.

It should also be noted that some people are busy with lives of their own and don't have time to assist a stranger. Reading body language is very helpful prior to selecting an individual with which to strike up a conversation.

One or two experiences gone awry can lead some to a very different conclusion than those with the panache to transcend cultural and language barriers.

I use as many as I need. I suppose I could spend a lot of time revising, to identify words that can come out, but that's more than I want to put into a forum like this.

Because you lack the quality of making a point concisely.

As Samuel Clemens noted about a verbose writer;

1. A tale shall accomplish something and arrive somewhere.

2. The episodes of a tale shall be necessary parts of the tale, and shall help develop it.

3. The personages in a tale shall be alive, except in the case of corpses, and that always the reader shall be able to tell the corpses from the others.

4. The personages in a tale, both dead and alive, shall exhibit a sufficient excuse for being there.

5. When the personages of a tale deal in conversation, the talk shall sound like human talk, and be talk such as human beings would be likely to talk in the given circumstances, and have a discoverable meaning, also a discoverable purpose, and a show of relevancy, and remain in the neighborhood of the subject in hand, and be interesting to the reader, and help out the tale, and stop when the people cannot think of anything more to say.

6. When the author describes the character of a personage in his tale, the conduct and conversation of that personage shall justify said description.

7. When a personage talks like an illustrated, gilt-edged, tree-calf, hand-tooled, seven-dollar Friendship's Offering in the beginning of a paragraph, he shall not talk like a Negro minstrel at the end of it.

8. Crass stupidities shall not be played upon the reader by either the author or the people in the tale.

9. The personages of a tale shall confine themselves to possibilities and let miracles alone; or, if they venture a miracle, the author must so plausibly set it forth as to make it look possible and reasonable.

10. The author shall make the reader feel a deep interest in the personages of his tale and their fate; and that he shall make the reader love the good people in the tale and hate the bad ones.

11. The characters in tale be so clearly defined that the reader can tell beforehand what each will do in a given emergency.

The author should: Say what he is proposing to say, not merely come near it.

Use the right word, not its second cousin.

Eschew surplusage.

Not omit necessary details.

Avoid slovenliness of form.

Use good grammar.

Employ a simple, straightforward style.

By those standards, sock, you suck.

Yes. I understand that's your opinion. In fact, I understood that was your opinion before you added those six words to reiterate that opinion. Have you considered trimming such redundancy from your contributions?
Yes. Clear writing is an ever-evolving process. Mine will continue to improve but perfection will never be achieved.

Back