Hi -- New here.

Yes. Clear writing is an ever-evolving process. Mine will continue to improve but perfection will never be achieved.

Your issue with my writing is about a lack of brevity, not clarity. The two are not the same. If I give two good examples where one would do, that's an affront to brevity but does not decrease clarity.

I've got a girlfriend who has been learning Swedish, so we've got some half-baked plans of maybe doing a week where we hit Stockholm for a couple days, then fly to St. Petersburg for a couple, then another flight to Moscow for two more.

Anyway, "Russophobe" is simply a slur meant to derail the discussion, so they don't need to focus on a person's actual arguments. Ironically, it's just the flip side of what conservatives were doing in the 1950s, when they avoided discussing political substance by accusing liberals of being secretly Red.

No, "Russophobia" is paranoia about Russia. It's that simple.

Your issue with my writing is about a lack of brevity, not clarity. The two are not the same. If I give two good examples where one would do, that's an affront to brevity but does not decrease clarity.

So you say, sock. You suck, sock.

Yes. I understand that's your opinion. In fact, I understood that was your opinion before you added those six words to reiterate that opinion. Have you considered trimming such redundancy from your contributions?

I am reminded of a scene from Amadeus:

EMPEROR: Well, Herr Mozart! A good effort. Decidedly that. An excellent effort! You've shown us something quite new today.

[Mozart bows frantically: he is over-excited.]

MOZART: It is new, it is, isn't it, Sire?

EMPEROR: Yes, indeed.

MOZART: So then you like it? You really like it, Your Majesty?

EMPEROR: Of course I do. It's very good. Of course now and then - just now and then - it gets a touch elaborate.

MOZART: What do you mean, Sire?

EMPEROR: Well, I mean occasionally it seems to have, how shall one say? [he stops in difficulty; turning to Orsini-Rosenberg] How shall one say, Director?

ORSINI-ROSENBERG: Too many notes, Your Majesty?

EMPEROR: Exactly. Very well put. Too many notes.

MOZART: I don't understand. There are just as many notes, Majesty, as are required. Neither more nor less.

EMPEROR: My dear fellow, there are in fact only so many notes the ear can hear in the course of an evening. I think I'm right in saying that, aren't I, Court Composer?

SALIERI: Yes! yes! er, on the whole, yes, Majesty.

MOZART: But this is absurd!

EMPEROR: My dear, young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Cut a few and it will be perfect.

MOZART: Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?

EMPEROR: Well. There it is.

You use more than you need. Why use 100 words for something you can explain with ten?

No different than you leaving comment after comment after comment about how wordy she is. Pot meet kettle. You could say in one comment what you have said in a dozen.

Back