High Gas Prices? Blame the Tree Huggers!

Yes Dixie, it is a really sweet gig. All you need in order to get in on it is enough capital to get a contract to buy a company's oil for a set period of time. In other words, a shitload of capital.

Seems there is a lot of people in America with a shitloads of capital who haven't heard of this, because they aren't doing it. It also seems like, if anyone with any sense had any money lying around, they would certainly be investing in such a sure-fire plan to make even more money. Don't see that happening either.

There is a set amount being released by OPEC, but OPEC is not the only source for oil. And having only 5 major oil companies means its easy to manipulate the prices you get. No rogue is going to cut prices and cost you money. I am not sure you realize it, but Exxon/Mobile, British Petroleum, Chevron and the like DO have producing wells. They also have fleets of tankers, and refineries, and truck fleets and gas stations. So while they may buy some from OPEC, they control virtually the entire process.

You state that having 5 oil companies means it's easy to manipulate the price they but you haven't really explained that. The oil companies buy the vast majority of their oil from OPEC, because we do not produce enough domestically, and I can pull the actual numbers if you need to see them, but I assure you, we import far more than we drill ourselves. Now, back to the argument that the 5 oil companies can "manipulate" the price of oil.... how exactly does that work? Because the way I see it, if your company needs and wants something my company has, you have absolutely NO leverage in what I decide the price will be.

And just as an FYI, I have no idea where you came up with the "The same number of consumers need gas...", but it shows you haven't a clue about the process or what has been happening. The number of consumers and the rate of consumption has steadily climbed.

Well, yes the number has steadily climbed with growth, but it doesn't change because companies merged. There are not fewer people needing gas or less gas being supplied because companies merged. In short, company mergers have nothing to do with supply and demand, thus nothing really to do with profit or prices. In fact, an argument can be made, with one less CEO to pay, one less R&D department to fund, and overall less corporate infrastructure to support, mergers actually help lower the cost of gas to the consumer by making the oil companies more efficient.

The Florida Tourism Bureau was the first and most substantial lobby for the moratorium on drilling off the coast of Florida. Tourism in Florida generates between $57 Billion and $62 Billion annually. In 2005 almost 86 million people visited Florida. And you think environmentalists pushed thru the bill that banned drilling in Florida's waters? That is absolutely wrong. It was the tourism industry.

Again, my focus is not on finding someone to point my finger at and bitch, it is to try and resolve the problem. You can believe whatever fantasy you like, most of us are smart enough to know the Environmental lobby is who pushes for no drilling. Perhaps the Tourism lobby is full of Environmentalists, that would make sense, wouldn't it? So, while you want to sit here and split hairs over who is to blame and who we can point our finger at, I am simply trying to move past that and solve the actual problem.

Some of the increased regulations are environmental in nature. Most of them are tax revenue oriented. New refineries mean new taxes. The old refineries are almost always grandfathered in. The new refineries would have to pay huge sums in taxes, because people see the oil industry as a cash cow. Also, every time one of the big oil companies has tried to build a refinery their efforts have been blocked by state and local referendums aimed at keeping such a "dirty" business out. This is not a handful of treehuggers, this is a push by homeowners, land developers and city & state officials.

It's pushed and promoted by the Environmental lobby, they are responsible for the propaganda, they are responsible for the initiatives, they are responsible for the obstruction of every initiative to become independent of foreign oil. Homeowners, city and state officials, and land developers who are also Environmentalists, maybe.

Also, I talked about ANWR being one way of getting our oil domestically. That has been repeatedly blocked by environmentalists.

Yes, it has been. It's good that you at least have that bit of reality going for ya. I just don't understand why you can't see that it's the same people across the board, who are obstructing progress. Now, they are clever enough to give their little groups different names, or hide behind a politician or tourism group, but it's the same exact lobby of environmentalists.

Our oil prices have also jumped because worldwide demand has grown by leaps and bounds due to the development of India and China. We are no longer the only oil hogs around. So what there is goes for a higher price.

Again, my argument is not about why oil prices are continuing to rise, that is a really simple argument, it's supply and demand. If we owned our own domestic sources for oil, and no longer needed to buy oil on the world market, I couldn't give two shits how much China pays for it! It doesn't matter how much it goes up on the world market, it can go to $10,000,000,000.00 a barrel, and our price will be the same because it is coming from our own domestic sources. Is that point just not making it into your head for some reason?

And its not going to get better (except for perhaps a very short drop). Its going to get worse as supplies become more and more scarce.

But you started this thread with the statement that treehuggers were responsible for our high gas prices. That is not only wrong, but it is oversimplistic.

Well, I agree it will only get worse, as long as we cater to the Environmental lobby and refuse to drill and refine our domestic oil. We can go round and round pointing fingers and casting blame all over the place, we can chastise the greedy rich oil companies, and vilify the greedy rich corporations, we can blame Republicans or Tree Huggers, we can keep electing politicians who are committed to doing nothing about the problem and, in 5 years, we will still be sitting here debating what to do about $20 a gallon gas.

If I can get them to drill it I will have a natural gas well. The drilling company seems to be backed up a few years.

Free heated house, workshop and pool baby :clink:
and perhaps a natural gas run generator too....

Dixie, you are amazing. You start a thread entitled "High Gas Prices? Blame the Tree Huggers!". Then you start this "my focus is not on finding someone to point my finger at and bitch".

Which is it? Are you making a post that blames the tree huggers and warps the truth to fit that, or are you looking for solutions?

Now, your elementary "Because the way I see it, if your company needs and wants something my company has, you have absolutely NO leverage in what I decide the price will be" economic explanation is not the point.

Suppose I get together with Damo, LadyT, and Darla (and together we own most of any given product). We decide that none of us will sell our product below a 25% profit margin. How exactly do you, as the consumer, plan to fight that? Now if there were 30 people who shared the market, do you think that sort of deal would be nearly as easy? Or even possible??

I didn't say that the increased number of consumers did anything. YOU said there was a set number of customers, and I was simply pointing out that you were absolutely wrong.

Now, as for WHY the increased number of customers AND the manipulation by the oil companies were linked....

Have you not noticed the way the fluctuations in prices worked? When the price of a gallon of gasoline jumped from $1.75 a gallon to $2.50 a gallon, we all screamed and worried. Then it dropped back down to $1.95 and we felt better. After all, the price dropped $0.55. But it was a net gain of $0.40 per gallon of gas. We were pacified and kept buying SUVs and kept burning gasoline like there was no tomorrow. This happened repeatedly over the last few years. It would jump way up, then drop part of the way down. We would scream at the jump up, and then we would quieten down when it dropped. This is a very clear manipulation. And even with the increase in customers and steadily climbing costs of gasoline, we americans continued to buy bigger and bigger vehicles. Other than by manipulation, how could the Yukon, the Escalade, and the Hummer have broken sales records when fuels costs were going up higher and higher?

Our domestic resources cannot sustain our consumption for "generations" as you claimed. The ANWR is pretty much the biggest oil reserve we have left. There have been estimates that varied from 600 million barrels of oil to 29.5 billion barrels of oil. Lets use the high end and say there are 29.5 billion barrels of oil in the ANWR.

We in the US, consume oil at a rate of roughly 19.993 million barrels per day. That means we consume (follow me here 19.993 million x 365) 7,297,445,000 barrels of oil a year. Which means we would blow thru the entire contents of the ANWR in just a tad over 4 years. Hardly what I would call "generations", unless you meant generations of goldfish.

But lets look at what you really said:

You created a thread entitled "High Gas Prices? Blame the Tree Huggers!"

Then you said:
"I am offering a solution to the problem, and you are arguing over who caused the problem."

"Well, again... I am not so interested in just finding who to blame, I know that is essentially ALL that matters in the world of a Liberal, but I am more interested in finding a solution to our problems. "

"So, while you want to sit here and split hairs over who is to blame and who we can point our finger at, I am simply trying to move past that and solve the actual problem."

Now, do a little research into the moratorium on drilling off the coast of florida. YOu spout crap like "...most of us are smart enough to know the Environmental lobby is who pushes for no drilling." That is pure bullshit. Tourism brings in billions of dollars and is one of the top employers in the state. There was no NEED for the enviromentalists to get involved. This was not some covert operation by tree huggers. This was simply the biggest cash cow being threatened by having oil rigs ruining things.

Oh and one more point about your "solution".

If there really are 86 billion barrels in the Gulf, and 29.5 billion barrels in ANWR, and we somehow find another 50 billion barrels somewhere else, we would have 165.5 billion barrels of oil.

That would mean, if we had no more growth in our consumption of oil (lol), we would have just under 23 years of oil.

Without that magical extra 50 billion, we would have just under 16 years at our current consumption.

But if you think you can suddenly have a flat consumption of oil for over a decade and a half, I would like some of whatever you are smoking.

But even at the best estimate, that is still not "generations" as your original post claimed.

So your solution amounts to a bandaid on an amputation. It MIGHT give us time to develop some alternatives. But only if, and its a big if, we start now, focus billions of dollars on it, and get some major breakthroughs.

Because aside from that, we are fucked in less than 20 years.

Dixie, you are amazing. You start a thread entitled "High Gas Prices? Blame the Tree Huggers!". Then you start this "my focus is not on finding someone to point my finger at and bitch".

Which is it? Are you making a post that blames the tree huggers and warps the truth to fit that, or are you looking for solutions?

Well, the title of the thread is intended to provoke interest in the thread. I presented my case, and you have yet to provide any refutation of it, although you claim you have. I am presenting a plan and solution, the same plan and solution we've tried to present for years, but were stopped and obstructed by environmentalists. You claim it's not the environmentalists who have been standing in the way, and I say... GREAT, that means we can do this quickly, without any further obstruction from them! It doesn't really matter if they were or weren't, although I think most intelligent people who examine the question, will find the answer I found. But should we devote our time and energy into a petty debate over who has obstructed progress toward oil independence, or should we move toward a solution to the problem?

Now, your elementary "Because the way I see it, if your company needs and wants something my company has, you have absolutely NO leverage in what I decide the price will be" economic explanation is not the point.

Suppose I get together with Damo, LadyT, and Darla (and together we own most of any given product). We decide that none of us will sell our product below a 25% profit margin. How exactly do you, as the consumer, plan to fight that? Now if there were 30 people who shared the market, do you think that sort of deal would be nearly as easy? Or even possible??

Well, sure it's elementary, that's why I don't understand why you are having trouble with it. The oil companies own very very little of the world's oil supply. Most of it is still in the ground. The oil companies have to buy their oil from the world market, OPEC, and the price on the world market is outrageously high, as determined by OPEC. Consumers are at the mercy of the oil company who is at the mercy of OPEC, so your example is missing a component and you are making the assumption that oil companies own all the oil, that assumption is patently false. Suppose you get together with Damo, LadyT and Darla, and you have to buy your product from me to refine into gasoline and re-sell to a consumer? Suppose I don't want to sell it to you cheaply? What are you going to do about it? What difference does it make if there are 30, 50, or 500 people in your group, if I want to sell the oil at a high price, you have to pay it or find some place else to get it. Yes, it's very simple.

I didn't say that the increased number of consumers did anything. YOU said there was a set number of customers, and I was simply pointing out that you were absolutely wrong.

No, I said 'the number of customers doesn't change' and you assumed I meant there was always a set number of customers, I corrected the misunderstanding, but now you are trying to insist I said what you misinterpreted me to say. Again, I am sorry if you took my comment out of context, and I understand the number of consumers rises with growth, that was not my point and I have clarified my remarks. Do you just want to continue to insist you know what I intended and meant? My response was to your assertion that oil company mergers are responsible for higher gas prices, and nothing you've presented has supported that statement. The number of customers didn't increase when two oil companies merged, they didn't produce less gas, they didn't produce more gas, the price didn't change at OPEC because they merged. Two companies merging has absolutely no effect on supply and demand, and THAT is what effects price.

Have you not noticed the way the fluctuations in prices worked? When the price of a gallon of gasoline jumped from $1.75 a gallon to $2.50 a gallon, we all screamed and worried. Then it dropped back down to $1.95 and we felt better. After all, the price dropped $0.55. But it was a net gain of $0.40 per gallon of gas. We were pacified and kept buying SUVs and kept burning gasoline like there was no tomorrow. This happened repeatedly over the last few years. It would jump way up, then drop part of the way down. We would scream at the jump up, and then we would quieten down when it dropped. This is a very clear manipulation. And even with the increase in customers and steadily climbing costs of gasoline, we americans continued to buy bigger and bigger vehicles. Other than by manipulation, how could the Yukon, the Escalade, and the Hummer have broken sales records when fuels costs were going up higher and higher?

*sigh* You are basing your opinion on emotional reactions fostered by your preconceived notions regarding the greedy oil companies, whom you think owns all of the world oil supply. Here is what has transpired... OPEC has consistently been raising the price of oil, and it has been no big problem for us, since we have had a great economy and we are accustomed to things increasing in price. Then OPEC decided to cut production, which made the price of oil go even higher, which meant the price of gas went way up. Then Bush persuaded the Saudi's to increase production and they did for a while, which lowered the price at the pump. Then, we had to reformulate the gas for summer driving (thanks environmental lobby again) and the price went back up again. Now the Saudi's are back in line with OPEC and have cut production again, and the price set a record again today. The oil companies who have to buy this stuff, are making LESS profit than we are collecting in tax!

As for Yukon's, Hummer's, and Escalade's, this is more "finger pointing" and refusal to deal with the problem. It doesn't matter what or how Americans have behaved with regard to oil and gas, what matters is finding a solution we can live with. It seems you just want to point fingers and cast blame elsewhere, rather than dealing with the problem.

Our domestic resources cannot sustain our consumption for "generations" as you claimed. The ANWR is pretty much the biggest oil reserve we have left. There have been estimates that varied from 600 million barrels of oil to 29.5 billion barrels of oil. Lets use the high end and say there are 29.5 billion barrels of oil in the ANWR.

We in the US, consume oil at a rate of roughly 19.993 million barrels per day. That means we consume (follow me here 19.993 million x 365) 7,297,445,000 barrels of oil a year. Which means we would blow thru the entire contents of the ANWR in just a tad over 4 years. Hardly what I would call "generations", unless you meant generations of goldfish.

First of all, there is no one who really knows how much oil is under the North Slope. Second, you are making an emotional assumption again, as if ANWR would be the sole source of all our domestic oil, and no one has ever suggested that. We already produce a certain percentage of our consumption, and we purchase a percentage from OPEC. ANWR would help offset what we are currently purchasing from OPEC. There is also the reserves in the Gulf of Mexico, which geologists have said is larger than the reserves beneath Saudi Arabia. Not to mention, California and other areas we have not ventured to explore because of environmental obstructionists.

Now, do a little research into the moratorium on drilling off the coast of florida. YOu spout crap like "...most of us are smart enough to know the Environmental lobby is who pushes for no drilling." That is pure bullshit. Tourism brings in billions of dollars and is one of the top employers in the state. There was no NEED for the enviromentalists to get involved. This was not some covert operation by tree huggers. This was simply the biggest cash cow being threatened by having oil rigs ruining things.

Here's a little secret... MOST of the people who work for The Department of Tourism, or The Department of Wildlife, or The Department of Natural Resources, are also very staunch environmentalists! It is essentially why they picked their field, they couldn't ALL chain themselves to trees and make a living at it! So, while you sit here splitting hairs over whether it was Tourism or Environmentalists who killed drilling off the coast of Florida, oil goes up another $11 a barrel on the world market... are you getting my point yet? We can keep going round and round, pointing fingers at each other, calling each other names and misconstruing statements, bickering about who is to blame, or we can work toward an effective solution. As I said, if we can drill for oil and build refineries, and make our nation independent of foreign oil, I don't give a damn who you want to blame for the former high gas price, blame Bush for all I care! It makes no difference to me, as long as we can become independent of foreign oil.

LMAOO!!!!

Oh that is rich, Dixie.

"Here's a little secret... MOST of the people who work for The Department of Tourism, or The Department of Wildlife, or The Department of Natural Resources, are also very staunch environmentalists! It is essentially why they picked their field, they couldn't ALL chain themselves to trees and make a living at it! So, while you sit here splitting hairs over whether it was Tourism or Environmentalists who killed drilling off the coast of Florida, oil goes up another $11 a barrel on the world market... are you getting my point yet?"

LOL Yes, I am getting your point. That statement made your point quite clear. Your point that you made was that you CLAIM to know that most of the people working in the Dept of Tourism are very staunch environmentalists. lmao I find that hilarious. And we are not splitting hairs. I am presenting facts concerning WHY the moratorium on drilling bill was passed and who got it passed. It is contrary to what you originally posted so, rather than do any research or admit you are wrong, you make up the biggest line of bullshit I have seen on this board.

Now you can call me a pinhead or a liberal or whatever. But the fact is, that was pure nonsense.

Now, as for the oil mergers, you missed one key point. Did you see what we agreed on? The profit margin? Now, no matter what OPEC does, our deal means a consistently high price for our gas. But if you will check, the price of gas goes up as soon as the price of oil goes up. But the price of gas does not go down as quickly or as far down as the price per barrel of oil goes down. That is a documented fact, and if you will look at the history of oil prices by the month, and the price of gasoline by the month you will see that this is true. The price of oil from OPEC is not the whole reason for the price fluctuations in gasoline. If it is, how do you explain that diesel (the fuel burned by those who make their living driving) is consistently higher than regular unleaded. It was not always this way. Diesel does not cost more to produce, in fact it costs slightly less. If its not manipulation by the oil companies, what is it??

And seeing the way the prices fluctuate, and seeing the way diesel has gone from cheaper than regular unleaded to higher than unleaded is not emotional reaction. It is a recognition of a pattern. And I have no preconceived notions about oil companies. I do not see them as evil at all. I see them as profit motivated. That, in my opinion, is not evil at all.

As for my example of Yukons, Escalades and Hummers, I am not pointing fingers at all. If you think so you did not read my statement. I used it as an example of what I had been discussing. Maybe you should reread it and see if you get what I am saying.

Becoming independent of foreign oil is not going to do us a bit of good. If we drill for oil within our own borders, the price will go down. As long as the price is low the research into alternative fuels stalls. Deny that if you want, but look at the historical data. When gas prices are high, people clamor for alternative energy sources. When prices go down the clamoring all but stops. Why do you think solar energy research has not gone any farther than it has?

And if we have cheap gasoline, people will continue to drive bigger vehicles that use more and more gasoline. The population will continue to grow. So our appetite for oil will continue to grow at the present rate. Which means our domestically produced oil will not last long enough and we will not have found alternative fuel sources.

You can argue however you want, but it boils down to just a few facts.

#1 - If gas prices are low, we drive cars that drink more gas and our research into alternative energy sources slows down.

#2 - If we continue to have the population growth and continue to drive gas guzzlers, our domestically produced oil won't last nearly long enough. (and my previous post listed the high end estimates of the oil that is there)

Again, you are becoming mired in a philosophical debate over who, why, how, and I simply want to discuss the solution to the problem, which is to become oil independent. When we begin to produce 100% of our own fuel, and no longer have to rely on the world oil market or extortionist prices, there will be plenty of time to discuss who, why, and how. You can rip Bush a new one and blame him for the millions of extra dollars we paid through the first decade of this century, and I can rip Carter for his fuck ups, and we can spend all our time here splitting hairs over who could've done what, or why they didn't do it, and that will be just peachy. But first, let's solve the problem by drilling in ANWR, off the coast of California, and in the Gulf of Mexico, let's bring new refineries on line at record pace, and yes... let's even explore advanced alternatives like bio-desiel and hydrogen for the future. In short, let's stop the blame game and solve the problem.

I am not playing a blame game. I am playing a "Correct Dixie" game. Much more fun.

And oil independence will not help. What I posted about the direct correlation between cheaper oil and alternative research is accurate.

And we need all the incentiive we can get.

But ok, we can stop this now. I think I have made my points.

I am not playing a blame game. I am playing a "Correct Dixie" game. Much more fun.

And oil independence will not help. What I posted about the direct correlation between cheaper oil and alternative research is accurate.

And we need all the incentiive we can get.

But ok, we can stop this now. I think I have made my points.

Well so far you've not really corrected me on anything, save for one sentence you misconstrued and I corrected you on. So, you really do suck at this game.

Alternative research has nothing to do with Supply and Demand, we've already covered that. Do you have any background in economics? Because the simple principle of Supply and Demand continues to be lost on you. We've probably spent more on researching alternative fuels in the past decade than any time in our history, and oil/gas prices are the highest they've ever been, so there went your theory, sorry.

Becoming independent of foreign oil is not going to do us a bit of good. If we drill for oil within our own borders, the price will go down. As long as the price is low the research into alternative fuels stalls. Deny that if you want, but look at the historical data. When gas prices are high, people clamor for alternative energy sources. When prices go down the clamoring all but stops. Why do you think solar energy research has not gone any farther than it has?

Becoming independent of foreign oil means we are no longer bound to pay whatever the Arabs want to charge, we have our own source, which is considerably cheaper. You admit that the price would go down, but you don't want to lower the price because you feel higher prices will encourage us to explore alternatives which wouldn't otherwise be explored. So, it's like a "tough love" thing? The problem is, we are still bound to foreign oil, we still have to maintain military and commercial presence in the Middle East, and we will still be paying out the ass for gasoline for years to come.

Now.... It will be a glorious beautiful green day in Pinheadland, when there are no more internal combustion engines, and we no longer need fossil fuels to operate our country... but that isn't going to happen next week, next year, or probably the next century. I know it is a dream you hope we can realize someday, but that is all it is, a dream. It isn't practical, and it isn't a solution to the immediate problem. So you are ignoring the solution in hopes that a fantasy will come true, and that is a bit illogical, don't you think?

Well so far you've not really corrected me on anything, save for one sentence you misconstrued and I corrected you on. So, you really do suck at this game.

Alternative research has nothing to do with Supply and Demand, we've already covered that. Do you have any background in economics? Because the simple principle of Supply and Demand continues to be lost on you. We've probably spent more on researching alternative fuels in the past decade than any time in our history, and oil/gas prices are the highest they've ever been, so there went your theory, sorry.

Apparently my background in economics is better than your reading comprehension.

I said "Becoming independent of foreign oil is not going to do us a bit of good. If we drill for oil within our own borders, the price will go down. As long as the price is low the research into alternative fuels stalls. Deny that if you want, but look at the historical data. When gas prices are high, people clamor for alternative energy sources. When prices go down the clamoring all but stops."

Now, if you need helo understanding what I am saying, I have said that HIGH GAS PRICES MEAN MORE RESEARCH INTO ALTERNATIVE FUELS. LOW PRICES MEANS LESS RESEARCH INTO ALTERNATIVE FUELS.

So instead of "there went your theory" you just agreed with my theory. And you just agreed with why lower fuel prices are bad for us in the long run.

Now, simple supply and demand economics do not explain the fuel prices and the fluctuations therein.

Its not a fantasy, Dixie. As long as there are cheap gas prices no one is going to pay for alternative fuels. You yourself said "We've probably spent more on researching alternative fuels in the past decade than any time in our history, and oil/gas prices are the highest they've ever been". Now that is simply proving my point.

Another issue about exploiting our own resources, we need to get the infrastructure in place, but we do NOT need to start pumping more domestic oil. We can do that to provide for the military and essential civil functions, but not just to lower the price. If we use up our oil, then we will TRULY be at the mercy of OPEC and anyone else who has oil.

And what domestic oil we have should be reserved for manufacturing plastics and other high tech essentials. Because what research we have done into non-petroleum based plastic is almost nil. And that, my unenlightened friend, is going to be worse than high priced gasoline.

If we exploit all our oil in the next 10 years, we MIGHT have a start on alternative fuels. But the research into plastics, computer chips and the like will still be a long way off.

Dixie, you said "Now.... It will be a glorious beautiful green day in Pinheadland, when there are no more internal combustion engines, and we no longer need fossil fuels to operate our country... but that isn't going to happen next week, next year, or probably the next century.".

You had better hope and pray you are just talking out your ass.

The current WORLD reserves are roughly 1,032,132,000,000 barrels.

The current annual consumption of oil worldwide is 28,460,000,000 barrels.

This means, with zero growth (not very likely) there is enough oil to last 36 years. But in half that time it will be so expensive our enture society will collapse.

You can bet on a century or more if you want. But I think that shows your own lack of education more than any foresight.

Apparently my background in economics is better than your reading comprehension.

I said "Becoming independent of foreign oil is not going to do us a bit of good. If we drill for oil within our own borders, the price will go down. As long as the price is low the research into alternative fuels stalls. Deny that if you want, but look at the historical data. When gas prices are high, people clamor for alternative energy sources. When prices go down the clamoring all but stops."

Now, if you need helo understanding what I am saying, I have said that HIGH GAS PRICES MEAN MORE RESEARCH INTO ALTERNATIVE FUELS. LOW PRICES MEANS LESS RESEARCH INTO ALTERNATIVE FUELS.

So instead of "there went your theory" you just agreed with my theory. And you just agreed with why lower fuel prices are bad for us in the long run.

Now, simple supply and demand economics do not explain the fuel prices and the fluctuations therein.

Its not a fantasy, Dixie. As long as there are cheap gas prices no one is going to pay for alternative fuels. You yourself said "We've probably spent more on researching alternative fuels in the past decade than any time in our history, and oil/gas prices are the highest they've ever been". Now that is simply proving my point.

Another issue about exploiting our own resources, we need to get the infrastructure in place, but we do NOT need to start pumping more domestic oil. We can do that to provide for the military and essential civil functions, but not just to lower the price. If we use up our oil, then we will TRULY be at the mercy of OPEC and anyone else who has oil.

And what domestic oil we have should be reserved for manufacturing plastics and other high tech essentials. Because what research we have done into non-petroleum based plastic is almost nil. And that, my unenlightened friend, is going to be worse than high priced gasoline.

If we exploit all our oil in the next 10 years, we MIGHT have a start on alternative fuels. But the research into plastics, computer chips and the like will still be a long way off.

Now you are trying to tie oil prices on the world market to US research and development cost, and there is no correlation, other than, the oil companies provide some of the research in exchange for tax incentives. The government does the vast majority of our alternative fuel research, and that is funded by you and I every time we fill our tanks, on a flat rate per gallon. It doesn't matter what our fuel cost is, the amount we pay for alternative fuel research is not effected by the price of gas, high or low.

As I pointed out before, I am all for alternative fuels, all for developing an alternative to the internal combustion engine and getting that going as soon as we can, but I am realistic enough to know it isn't going to suddenly happen, just like stopping the Earth from going through a warming cycle! Yes, we should do what we can, but we need to address immediate problems immediately. Even the most optimistic plans for a completely new alternative vehicle, assimilated into the public in any kind of meaningful way, would take at least 20 years. Even then, you will still have the poor, the enthusiasts, farmers, and people who just want to defy the system, operating internal combustion engines and needing gasoline. Do we outlaw them? What about all of the homes which use heating oil? How many years before we don't have enough to be concerned about, or do we somehow subsidise their needs for oil or buy them a solar array with tax dollars? City transportation systems, taxis, garbage trucks, lawnmowers, chain saws... all this stuff has to be somehow converted to an alternative fuel source. 20 years? Yeah, that's being optimistic. I say it will be 50~60 years, if we started on an aggressive plan today.

I realize you have crunched your numbers and believe we have 20 years of oil left at best, but this is assuming first, that you are correct, and that we do nothing and things remain as they have the past hundred years. I think we are making great technological advances in alternative and fuel efficient vehicles, and alternate energy sources. As this technology comes online, we will begin to see our oil consumption decline, if we have invested in new oil infrastructure, we will see our production increase, and our dependence on foreign oil will be gone forever. Once that happens, the whole ball game will change, because oil is no longer of value to us.

The logical solution:
1. Conserve energy.
2. Drill for more domestic oil ASAP
3. Refine more domestic oil ASAP
4. Develop Alternative Fuels ASAP
5. Implement Alt Fuel Vehicles ASAP

If we follow this approach, we can solve the problems, both immediate and future.

I based crunched my numbers using the highest estimates I found for the remaining reserves, and based useage on current levels.

The useage is not going to decline, especially worldwide. There is a significant portion of our oil consumption that goes to manufacturing. This portion is the area in which we have made the least progress.

Heating oil is another area that must be addressed sooner rather than later. Although actually, converting to electric would help. Electric energy can be generated without the burning oil as fuel, and electricity is muc more efficient. (and spill proof)

Chapdog, you are looking at the cost of a barrel of oil on the world market. It is unrelated to the prospect of oil independence, as this would eliminate our need to buy oil on the world market. I am offering a solution to the problem, and you are arguing over who caused the problem.

Dixie you don't even have the first clue about what your talking about. You know even less about this market than you do about evolution.

Ask someone like me or Topper who actually work in the oil industry. The biggest reasons for the increase in the cost of oil are market speculation, debasement of the US dollar and increased demand in Asia.

At the present the US is an importer or crude oil but we are a net exporter of petroleum products. At present we are refining more diesel than gasoline and exporting much of it for greater profits to Asia. This works for the oil companies cause gasoline reserves in the US are fairly high while gasoline demand is fairly static with demand for diesel increasing in both Europe and Asia. In this way oil companies can export diesel at greater profits while meeting domestic demand while keeping domestic prices and profits high.

Open up Florida, the ANWAR or elsewhere and that increased production will go into exports, not to meet domestic demand, because that's where the profits are. So much for energy independence.

..and this is common knowledge in the oil industry it aint like you need to be in the board room of Exon to know this shit.

Where do you come up with this energy independence shit?

Back